Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Average car insurance for a young driver. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to scope out the market and see what other young drivers are getting quoted for their first car insurance. Recently got quoted £1600 by co op.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is that with the box in the car?

My premiums were around the £2000 mark for the first couple of years (1.6L engine, but I was the second driver, so it's still quite ridiculous). It did drop to around £1300 this year and then down to the £750 region. Being at uni, I only take out temporary insurance whilst at home.

£1600 for a new driver certainly isn't terrible. You could probably get it cheaper, but it could easily be a lot more too.

ReputationRep:
    £860 for my first year with co-op

ReputationRep:
    I pay £580, but I do live in the channel islands..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I like in an E* insurance area, so my premiums are high. I'm yet to take out insurance yet, but after I pass my practical I'll begin looking!

ReputationRep:
    It's 1300 for me and im 20.

ReputationRep:
    When i first passed, my insurance was £1062, fully comp. I was with tesco.
    Tesco insurance arent so cheap now though- i paid £463 fully comp with aviva- tesco tried to quote me £1500.

ReputationRep:
    When I passed @ 17 it was £4000 +

I'm now 18.5 years old and I have insurance for £967 and I live in SE London

ReputationRep:
    What a rip off, really. Go to any other country and get it for around 200-400 with everything covered

ReputationRep:
    Think i paid £1100 For my corsa 1.0 a few years ago when i wanted to drive a car...

ReputationRep:
    How are you supposed to afford it? We just don't have enough money and if I don't get insurance now, I can't at Uni, and I won't for years after that. Why does everybody around me have a car? It's depressing

ReputationRep:
    I've a 1-litre Yaris, 1 year NCB and am with Diamond for ~£600/year.

When it comes to be renewed I'll have 2 years NCB but I don't know how much that gender ruling thing will affect it.

ReputationRep:
    I can get it for about 580 now I'm 20 but when I passed at 17 it had another zero on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    I've a 1-litre Yaris, 1 year NCB and am with Diamond for ~£600/year.

When it comes to be renewed I'll have 2 years NCB but I don't know how much that gender ruling thing will affect it.
    Diamond has mostly females on their book so the gender rule will not affect you much if you stay with Diamond. Would not advice you to switch until you are 25+

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    Is that with the box in the car?

My premiums were around the £2000 mark for the first couple of years (1.6L engine, but I was the second driver, so it's still quite ridiculous). It did drop to around £1300 this year and then down to the £750 region. Being at uni, I only take out temporary insurance whilst at home.

£1600 for a new driver certainly isn't terrible. You could probably get it cheaper, but it could easily be a lot more too.
    You were the second driver but you get high premium because they rate it on the most "dangerous" driver mainly.

If you are under 18, living in a bad area, premium can easily go over £2000. You can try the box called telematics. It is cheaper if you are a safe driver.

Try to store the car in the same place as the policy address. Get a small car to start with. A higher performing car will cost more to insure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was £1200 to put me as a named driver on my mum's Citroen C1. I can stick with direct line and get 1 year NCB for if I get a car next year so hopefully they won't completely bankrupt me!

I once got quoted £9000 to insure a 52 plate Punto. That's 18 times the value of the actual car. Balls to aviva

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which is the best company for young drivers Insursance, I'm from bradford btw :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I used Admiral for my second years insurance, however; it makes no difference whether you use them or elephant as their both the same company when it comes down to it. I have 1 years no claims and when i insured my 1.1 peugeot 106 at 18 it cost me just over £500.

Also look very carefully at what occupations you put your mother and father on the insurance as (thats if you choose to) as this can make a big difference just by fancying up thier job title (but dont lie!)

Commonly people lie and say their car is parked in the garage as they think that less chance of theft will bring insurance prices down, this is a lie. If you park your car on the driveway, say that its parked on the driveway! It will bring your insurance down as there is less chance of fire damage due to it not being parked in a confined space. Im lucky enough to have a garage and driveway so i altered these details when looking at insuance and parking my car on the driveway saved me £87.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fastswift)
    You were the second driver but you get high premium because they rate it on the most "dangerous" driver mainly.

If you are under 18, living in a bad area, premium can easily go over £2000. You can try the box called telematics. It is cheaper if you are a safe driver.

Try to store the car in the same place as the policy address. Get a small car to start with. A higher performing car will cost more to insure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hate the boxes, they're such a waste of money for me. In most cases, my premium goes up with them, and my functionality with the car goes down! Why would I want to buy a box which charges me to drive at bad hours and watch my driving? It just doesn't make sense.

My premiums have gone down. It depends (as I say, I take temporary insurance so it's hard to gain an accurate annual quote) but in some cases it's around the £700 mark now. No box and that's on this same car if I am the main driver. It goes up if I am the second driver though. I won't be buying a car until next year though.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't start driving til I was 23 and my first premium was £240 glad I waited. You'd still expect a new driver to have a bump thought wouldn't you?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.