Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying for AS Levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Geography and Critical Thinking. At the end of Year 12 I plan to (probably) drop Geography, and definitely Critical Thinking. I am interested in Chemical Engineering, and there is a good possibility that I will be able to do Further Maths AS Level next year. Looking at Chemical Engineering courses, FM is one of the options for other (apart from Maths and Physics) A Levels at the universities I have looked at, with Cambridge and Imperial saying its desirable (have looked at others, including Edinburgh, Bath, Newcastle). Will doing FM put me at an advantage, or will the fact that I have not yet done it put me out of contention for a place? Is doing FM next year likely to salvage any chance of doing a degree in Chemical Engineering? (I got 5As in my January modules, so I hope that I could manage 3 A-levels and an AS - I hope that doesn't come across as arrogant).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Unis will understand that some people don't pick the perfect A levels for the course in year 11, as many students do not know exactly what they want to do by then (or even after GCSE results at the beginning of LVI). If you pick up FM AS (and maybe do AS +A2) next year, they definitely won't just rule you out. I thought that at Cambridge FM was 'highly desirable' though, for both the Engineering and NatSci pathways into ChemEng, which means that at some colleges it id required. I think.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.