Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    EU West 3 was bad last night.
    Guess it's down to maintenance. Have you found the city sizes to be a problem? I think that's the only thing preventing me from purchasing it at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    Guess it's down to maintenance. Have you found the city sizes to be a problem? I think that's the only thing preventing me from purchasing it at this point.
    It can be quite frustrating. The one I'm working on in the TSR region at the moment has just about reached it's limit and I've only got a population of 30,000 (although it is focused mainly on mining and trade and not housing). I think they're planning on changing it later down the line though.

ReputationRep:
    It can be quite frustrating. The one I'm working on in the TSR region at the moment has just about reached it's limit and I've only got a population of 30,000 (although it is focused mainly on mining and trade and not housing). I think they're planning on changing it later down the line though.
    That's a little disappointing. I would've hoped that it wouldn't have been an issue with the connectivity the game says it has. I sincerely hope the size change comes free. There is no reason to charge for it.

ReputationRep:
    My first city in the TSR Region has a population over 60K, but it wasn't my best city. The one I started since is a lot better, but it's population is smaller. You increase density and the buildings change into buildings that can hold more people, but you must satisfy their happiness beforehand.

And don't worry about the neg, I have balanced it out with a positive. It was the girl who posted earlier saying the game was a waste of time, luckily her votes are worth 0 anyway so it hasn't reduced it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the servers will stabilise in due course, I'm just annoyed about the tiny city sizes.. but I can always play solo and make several places and wait for the devs to wake up and make them larger

ReputationRep:
    I kinda wanna get it but i've heard so much **** about the servers and queue times :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Yeah the servers will stabilise in due course, I'm just annoyed about the tiny city sizes.. but I can always play solo and make several places and wait for the devs to wake up and make them larger
    I was thinking that too. I have purchased it from Zavvi. I hope so much that they don't close the servers in a couple of years or release imbalanced DLC in the future. The game looks good though.

(Original post by ExWunderkind)
    My first city in the TSR Region has a population over 60K, but it wasn't my best city. The one I started since is a lot better, but it's population is smaller. You increase density and the buildings change into buildings that can hold more people, but you must satisfy their happiness beforehand.

And don't worry about the neg, I have balanced it out with a positive. It was the girl who posted earlier saying the game was a waste of time, luckily her votes are worth 0 anyway so it hasn't reduced it.

Thank you! I was actually trying to be neutral and get a balanced perspective from people like you who have played the game. I have purchased it now and I should get it in a couple of days. I can't imagine wanting a huge number of people but obviously the option for high density residential is there I suppose.

Look forward to playing soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioHawk)
    I kinda wanna get it but i've heard so much **** about the servers and queue times :/
    Apparently this has been fixed. I was watching a video from boogie2298 and he makes an interesting point at the end of the video; would people have complained nearly as much if SimCity was marketed as an MMO? I don't think so, personally. And, in truth, I think most of the criticism levelled at it is from people who don't want it to become that or at least have the option of not having it. I can appreciate that sentiment but for whatever reason, that is what this iteration of SimCity is. We shall see if time is kind to it.

ReputationRep:
    I want this game. I might consider joining you.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking that too. I have purchased it from Zavvi. I hope so much that they don't close the servers in a couple of years or release imbalanced DLC in the future. The game looks good though.
    Don't worry about servers, they'll be online for at least 4 years, guaranteed. They may even give out direct installation codes to players (ie the game goes client-side, with an activation key) when the servers close, since it's one of the first games to be purely online when it doesn't have to be.

DLC is going to be a massive problem, they've already shown their cards by having at-release DLC, which is a disgustingly greedy thing to do (because they've already done the coding, but they're choosing to sell people an incomplete package), oh well I'm not bothered about leaderboards :lol:

ReputationRep:
    The servers have pretty much been stabilised now.

ReputationRep:
    That's a temporary issue (trust me, I've played 3 MMO expansions at launch), idiots just want to try and damage the game in revenge for screwing them over so they all slam it with reviews without actually evaluating the gameplay. Look at Amazon's 4-5 star reviews, some have actually rated the playing experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Don't worry about servers, they'll be online for at least 4 years, guaranteed. They may even give out direct installation codes to players (ie the game goes client-side, with an activation key) when the servers close, since it's one of the first games to be purely online when it doesn't have to be.

DLC is going to be a massive problem, they've already shown their cards by having at-release DLC, which is a disgustingly greedy thing to do (because they've already done the coding, but they're choosing to sell people an incomplete package), oh well I'm not bothered about leaderboards :lol:
    Yes. I'd imagine it is much more like an MMO than anything else. I really do hope they make it offline. That would be great if they did when they eventually (inevitably?) shut down the servers. I would not mind even paying a small amount for that if it means the game is blasted wide open for modding and all else.

If such does happen, then the DLC doesn't bother me; it can be modded at a later date. I don't really care about having German/French tiles or whatever. Only thing which could improve the game for me is functionality and it does look pretty functional at the moment. Kind of bummed there's no underground system although I never really used it myself aside from laying water pipes. Kind of a blessing that all flows along the roads now.

ReputationRep:
    I want to get this game, but I've heard it doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heizenburg)
    I want to get this game, but I've heard it doesn't work.
    I've been playing all day much to my own chagrin as in I haven't done anything else productive! LOL!

However the server issues have definitely been addressed. I really lose time when playing!

ReputationRep:
    Think I might make a new TSR Region as the other one has filled up pretty quickly. Thinking of going for one of the 16(?) slot regions? If anyone wants an invite to it add ForensicShoe on Origin and/or drop me a PM. Unfortunately I've got a lot of coursework to do so I won't be able to play as much as I want

ReputationRep:
    hey all - Im loving simcity 5, origin is "thinkforgetfull" if anyone wants to add.

ReputationRep:
    Think I might make a new TSR Region as the other one has filled up pretty quickly. Thinking of going for one of the 16(?) slot regions? If anyone wants an invite to it add ForensicShoe on Origin and/or drop me a PM. Unfortunately I've got a lot of coursework to do so I won't be able to play as much as I want
    Yeah that's partly my bad, I took 2 of the cities >.< I will come to the new region and only take one I promise ^^

(Original post by imaginative name)
    hey all - Im loving simcity 5, origin is "thinkforgetfull" if anyone wants to add.
    Will add you later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    Yeah that's partly my bad, I took 2 of the cities >.< I will come to the new region and only take one I promise ^^
    I've created a new region!

16 slots

ReputationRep:
    I've created a new region!

16 slots
    Invite me! My IGN is FyrebladeOrigin

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.