The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies - STV vs FPTP essay (more representational)

Can anyone help me out with this essay?! I have no clue!
Reply 1
STV vs FPTP

STV provides proportional representation (PR) where by the percentage of votes is roughly translated into the percentage of seats. This is fairer than first past the post. For example in the general election 2010 in the constituency of Ayr, 47% voted labour but collectively 43% didn’t vote labour. This means that more voters wishes will be represented and less wasted votes

In addition it promotes voting within parties with the ranking system of voting. Instead of the traditional marking of an ‘X’ instead voters rank candidates in order of priority. On the one ballot paper there could be two Labour candidates and you rank them in order of your preference. For example in the ward of East Kilbride South in the upcoming council elections you would rank Archie Buchanan (SNP) 1st but then rank Douglas Edwards (SNP) 3rd due to his lack of presence within the constituency. [the only reason I have used this example is due to the fact I live in East kilbride, go find an example for your area as this will impress markers]

It also allows smaller/third parties to gain seats in the government due to the PR system of voting. For example the Green party saw an increase of 2.3% between 2003 and 2007 (introduction of STV). this is because more voters will vote for these parties where as probably wouldn't in the 'X' ranking of one party (they also saw an increase last week in the 2012 local elections too: went from 0 to 8 seats between 2003 and 2007 and then 6 more between 2007 and 2012)

However it has its disadvantages. One such disadvantage is that the ranking of candidates confuses voters and as a result in 2007 there were 100,000 wasted votes.

Another disadvantage is that, in theory, with AMS being a form of PR it should increase the representation of women. However this was not the case in 2007 as representation actually fell from 23% to 22% (2003 to 2007).
Reply 2
Hey,
I have my NAB on the political unit for modern studies soon, and the essay will be something like the 2010 question
"The single transferable vote electoral system provides for better representation than first past the post"
How would you answer this? I was thinking mostly pros for STV then some cons and advantages of FPTP?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lucy_Mc
Hey,
I have my NAB on the political unit for modern studies soon, and the essay will be something like the 2010 question
"The single transferable vote electoral system provides for better representation than first past the post"
How would you answer this? I was thinking mostly pros for STV then some cons and advantages of FPTP?

Yep, I'd start off discussing why STV provides better representation and take on a 'however..' approach where you then discuss some of the drawbacks of STV and any reasons why FPTP gives better representation. Then you'll need to weight it all up and conclude what gives better representation, basically.

This question was asked not long ago at all, check the posts above this.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending