It was okay A= 76
    35.87%
    Easy A= 79
    27.17%
    Very Easy A=82
    21.74%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)
    Gotta love people asking for help on past paper questions when the exam is in 2 hours.
    Just starting doing the exam past papers.
    In fact, i'm not even going to do them, just going through them with the mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    Okay litterally panicking now..CAN ANYBODY CONFIRM THIS FOR ME. WHEN TOLD TO WORK OUT STANDARD ENTHALPY CHANGE OF COMBUSTION AND WE ARE GIVING THE CHANGE OF FORMATION. DO WE NEED TO SWITCH SIGNS AT THE END??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheriB)
    Okay litterally panicking now..CAN ANYBODY CONFIRM THIS FOR ME. WHEN TOLD TO WORK OUT STANDARD ENTHALPY CHANGE OF COMBUSTION AND WE ARE GIVING THE CHANGE OF FORMATION. DO WE NEED TO SWITCH SIGNS AT THE END??
    Just draw a Hess cycle...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryingtolearn95)
    Need help with questions on the specimen paper:
    Attaching the two questions. The issue I have with them is written in the pictures.
    Please help. Panicking rn
    Attachment 223034
    Attachment 223035

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alot of the answers are wrong on the specimen

ReputationRep:
    Just look at the table given, if formation products - Reactants but if table gives combustion do Reactants - Products

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you draw out a Hess' cycle any time that you go against an arrow you need to switch the sign of the energy change. Hope this helps a bit
    Don't panic

ReputationRep:
    Just to confirm is this correct:
    Oxidising a primary alcohol by distillation, an oxidising agent, heat and an acid catalyst produces a aldehyde.
    Oxidising a primary alcohol under reflux, heat and an oxidising agent produces a carboxylic acid.
    Oxidising a secondary alcohol under reflux, an acid catalyst, heat and an oxidising agent produces a ketone.

A few questions, does producing a carboxylic acid require a catalyst (I don't think it does but want to make sure)? Also does making a ketone require only acidic conditions, not a actual catalyst or are they the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRW1996)
    Oxidising a primary alcohol by distillation, an oxidising agent, heat and an acid catalyst produces a aldehyde.
    Oxidising a primary alcohol under reflux, heat and an oxidising agent produces a carboxylic acid.
    Oxidising a secondary alcohol under reflux, an acid catalyst, heat and an oxidising agent produces a ketone.

A few questions, does producing a carboxylic acid require a catalyst (I don't think it does but want to make sure)? Also does making a ketone require only acidic conditions, not a actual catalyst or are they the same thing?
    That's right only you don't need a catalyst for any of these reactions. In all of the reactions the oxidising agent needs to be acidified not just for secondary alcohols

ReputationRep:

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

Oxidising alcohols always requires an acid catalyst, normally h2so4.

ReputationRep:
    Delta H equals given enthalpies of:
    formation, products - reactants
    Combustion, reactants - products
    Bond enthalpies, reactants - products

ReputationRep:

I believe you have to know that the acid catalyst is acidified potassium dichromate. Which you use for both primary and secondary alcohols

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

Oxidising alcohols always requires an acid catalyst, normally h2so4.
    Ok thank you

ReputationRep:
    can someone please explain how jun 2012, Q4eii and jan 2012, 3bii. is done please. thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Is enthalpy change of reaction the same as enthalpy change of formation as in they're always products - reactants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liberty.)
    I believe you have to know that the acid catalyst is acidified potassium dichromate. Which you use for both primary and secondary alcohols
    noo. catalyst is sulphuric acid. Potassium dichromate is used in the reaction.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck everyone! Hope u guys do well

ReputationRep:
    that's confusing. I usually use the sum of enthalpy of reactants - products

ReputationRep:
    For nucleophillic substitution,
    When there are two cl atoms, can we replace both with OH?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love people asking for help on past paper questions when the exam is in 2 hours.
    Please help with my question above
    Ty

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAS18)
    first post
    thanks good luck everyone

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.