The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by blackstarz
I think this unit will be fine really. As long as you know all the mechanisms, reactions and definitions you'll get a high mark. I got 34/40 in my practical is that an A? and hopefully got a high marks on the unit 1 exam, now need a high mark in this unit.

My teachers said they don't really know what they do with the raw mark to get the final grade, but last year 34/40 was an A (it was the grade boundary I think)
Go 95/100 in the mock. 8)
Original post by GeneralOJB

Which year was that one? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 423

Well done, well over a week to go as well, I'm sure you'll ace it :smile:
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Which year was that one? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

January 13
January 13

it was quite a nice paper. Hoping that doesnt mean the june ones gonna be hard!
Original post by needtosucceed=)
it was quite a nice paper. Hoping that doesnt mean the june ones gonna be hard!

Yeah, I'm hoping the paper has hard problem solving type chemistry questions though, not awkward green chemistry questions.

I hate it when it gives you like 3 examples of something and asks you to name another one. .-.
Yeah, I'm hoping the paper has hard problem solving type chemistry questions though, not awkward green chemistry questions.

I hate it when it gives you like 3 examples of something and asks you to name another one. .-.

What kind of problem solving questions do you mean, is that like organic chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of problem solving questions do you mean, is that like organic chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, see June 2012 question 2 for a good example. :wink:
Can someone tell me how much I need to get an A? I've got 77UMS in F321, 38/40 in the practical.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 430

Well done, I got 85 :smile:
Reply 431
Question! Why does the actual value for enthalpy change of formation different from the calculation?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
No matter how much I try, I always seem to get percentage yield questions wrong,I know the formula is Actual Amount/Theoretical Amount, and I normally do n=m/M for each product, well that's how the book says you do it but I always get it wrong, if some one could help me it would be much appreciated??? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No matter how much I try, I always seem to get percentage yield questions wrong,I know the formula is Actual Amount/Theoretical Amount, and I normally do n=m/M for each product, well that's how the book says you do it but I always get it wrong, if some one could help me it would be much appreciated??? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats the right method so I'm not sure why ur going wrong. One thing to note is that the ratio must be 1:1. so if its not then you have to divide by however many moles are in the question to make it 1:1. also, they seem to be using tonnes a lot these days, i just ignore it and use grams as you'll get the same answer (the tonnes on both the top and bottom of the equation will just cancel eachother)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ReginaPhalange29
Can someone tell me how much I need to get an A? I've got 77UMS in F321, 38/40 in the practical.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

around 110ish, so a middle B in this exam. to get an A you need a total of 240 UMS.
Original post by wndms
Question! Why does the actual value for enthalpy change of formation different from the calculation?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 possible answers are
- heat loss to the surroundings
- non standard conditions
- incomplete combustion
i think?

the same type of green chemistry questions come up all the time though, like sustainability, international cooperation etc.
I really hope there are a few 8-9marks where you have to say what the compound is- having been given data eg mass spec, IR, % of atoms etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ReginaPhalange29
I really hope there are a few 8-9marks where you have to say what the compound is- having been given data eg mass spec, IR, % of atoms etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

its come up on nearly every paper so far so hopefully!

Latest

Trending

Trending