It was okay A= 76
    35.87%
    Easy A= 79
    27.17%
    Very Easy A=82
    21.74%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lllllllllll)
    you'll be really really really lucky if they allow HFCs since the specification says:

(g) outline the role of green chemistry in
    minimising damage to the environment by
    promoting biodegradable alternatives to
    CFCs, such as hydrocarbons and HCFCs;
    CO2 as a blowing agent for expanded
    polymers (see also 2.4.2).
    Omg, so HCFCs is the correct answer?? I put that then crossed it out :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gotzz)
    On a functional level, HFCs and HCFCs are near-identical, except HFCs do not dissociate at any point to form potentially harmful radicals. HFCs will very likely be fine. Think about it like this, CFCs are used for their unreactivity so removing chlorine ought to reduce reactivity and risk of damaging the ozone (due to high C-F bond enthalpy). See attached if you are still unconvinced : http://www.sartep.com/chem/chartsand...bondenergy.cfm .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluker6696)
    On a functional level, HFCs and HCFCs are near-identical, except HFCs do not dissociate at any point to form potentially harmful radicals. HFCs will very likely be fine. Think about it like this, CFCs are used for their unreactivity so removing chlorine ought to reduce reactivity and risk of damaging the ozone (due to high C-F bond enthalpy). See attached if you are still unconvinced : http://www.sartep.com/chem/chartsand...bondenergy.cfm .
    Sorry, I meant I crossed it out and put something completely different, not changed it to HFCs. I thought HCFCs weren't biodegradable which is why I changed my answer.

ReputationRep:
    There was a question in the AS unit 2 exam, June 4th and it was 'name a biodegradable alternative to CFC's.' would HFC's be an okay answer? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenceM)
    There was a question in the AS unit 2 exam, June 4th and it was 'name a biodegradable alternative to CFC's.' would HFC's be an okay answer? thanks
    see above post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gotzz)
    Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scienceboy16)
    Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wrote HCFs and then it sounded wrong, didn't know whether to put instead HFC So last min of the paper I settles for HCFC

Thank goodness!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There was also a question involving colours, something to do with bromine and a double bond. Was the correct answer orange to colourless?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There was also a question involving colours, something to do with bromine and a double bond. Was the correct answer orange to colourless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, it was

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 344302)
    I wrote HCFs and then it sounded wrong, didn't know whether to put instead HFC So last min of the paper I settles for HCFC

Thank goodness!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like an idiot i wrote biodegradable polymers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, damn it! Just realised I forgot to put the plus on the molecular and fragment ions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scienceboy16)
    Like an idiot i wrote biodegradable polymers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OMG same!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, damn it! Just realised I forgot to put the plus on the molecular and fragment ions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How did U guys workout the fragment ions:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddy-Francis)
    How did U guys workout the fragment ions:fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what I can remember it either mentioned sulfur or had peaks around 32 which meant it was sulfur. Then divided each peak by 32 and it gave the amount of sulfur atoms in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeyondCure)
    From what I can remember it either mentioned sulfur or had peaks around 32 which meant it was sulfur. Then divided each peak by 32 and it gave the amount of sulfur atoms in it
    Yeah, it mentioned that it was sulfur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeyondCure)
    Damn it. I lost 3 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It had an ion peak of 256 i think and it said it was sulphur. It then asked what the formula mass of the sample was, so 258/32.1 = around 8, meaning it would have been S8. Next question said something on lines of "state the molecular ion responsible for the peak at 128 m/z" which 128 / 32.1 = 4. So molecular ion is S4+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    What do you mean by structural formula? My understanding of that is that it is the same as the displayed formula which does show double bonds, as does the skeletal formula. How did you draw the structure without showing the double bonds? Unless you mean the molecular formula which was C4H8O (I think... Can't remember), in which case the question said suggest the structure. If you have only quoted the molecular formula then you won't get the marks for suggesting a structure as the molecular formula doesn't show possible structures for the molecule.
    So I put this: CH3CH2CH2COH for the aldehyde. I know it doesn't directly highlight the C=O double bond but is it a structural formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by germankid101)
    So I put this: CH3CH2CH2COH for the aldehyde. I know it doesn't directly highlight the C=O double bond but is it a structural formula.
    The shows butanol. The aldehyde would be CH3CH2CH2CHO I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dawg)
    The shows butanol. The aldehyde would be CH3CH2CH2CHO I think
    Yupp, aldehydes always have a "CHO" ending

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.