Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford or Cambridge: What's the deciding factor? watch

ReputationRep:
    All,

I just wondered, out of interest, how people decided which to go for out of Oxford and Cambridge, since they are obviously close substitutes. I dont know if this has been done before.

I thought I'd ask, because I'm writing a dissertation on the pricing strategies of universities, and what this implies for UK uni's after variable top-up fees are introduced.

Tell me which Uni you chose and what aspects you think are the most/least important.

Reply and rank if you can, (poll if you don't have time!):

A) The subject wasn't being offered at the other one.
    B) Preferred the content of the course offered.
    C) Location - you like one city better than the other.
    D) In your opinion it is the better university (in terms of prestige/reputation)
    E) Advice from friends/family/school
    F) You know people there or who have been there
    G) Other reason (tell me what!)

Do you think your decision would have been largely affected if they charged different fees?

How much would someone have to give you to make you switch your application to the other uni?

Remember that either way.. you don't have to pay upfront tuition fees! It all debt to be paid off when your earning the big £££'s later on!

Thanks for your feedback! Hope i get some... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodlebeetle)
    All,

I just wondered, out of interest, how people decided which to go for out of Oxford and Cambridge, since they are obviously close substitutes. I dont know if this has been done before.

I thought I'd ask, because I'm writing a dissertation on the pricing strategies of universities, and what this implies for UK uni's after variable top-up fees are introduced.

Tell me which Uni you chose and what aspects you think are the most/least important.

D) In your opinion it is the better university (in terms of prestige/reputation)

Do you think your decision would have been largely affected if they charged different fees?

How much would someone have to give you to make you switch your application to the other uni?

Remember that either way.. you don't have to pay upfront tuition fees! It all debt to be paid off when your earning the big £££'s later on!

Mine's simple; Oxford don't do Veterinary Sciences/Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm at Cambridge and my ranking is..

A) and B) joint - there's no NatSci at Oxford and I preferred the idea of a wider science base
    C) Oxford's too much of a city for me - I found it very intimidating and kind of dark..
    D) Cambridge does have the reputation for science, earned or not (though I think it is, earned, from my experience so far)
    F) I know someone who went to my college, actually, and adored it - so that made me look quite hard at Sidney specifically
    E) God no, my school told me to apply to Oxford! :rolleyes:

I don't think my decision would have been affected by fees because of the course difference, and likewise because of the course difference you'd have to pay me a LOT of money to make me switch to Oxford. I would have applied for Chemistry, so by now I would have been positively suicidal since it turns out I'm actually rubbish at it (at least the physical side). If it weren't for the course thing, I guess (putting stereotypical prejudices aside ) it wouldn't have been SO hard to make me go Oxford-wards instead. I wouldn't have been as happy there as I am here, though, because I'm a country girl and I'd have been scared of the city. Such a wimp.

ReputationRep:

Cambridge - Compsci

A) It is offered at Oxford, but places like Warwick, York, Imperial, Southampton and UCL are rated as better.
    B) At the time was the only undergraduate degree with a specific and extensive security aspect.
    C) Oxford is too big, I'm from a tiny city so I felt much more comfortable in Cambridge.
    D) see B)
    E) I got some advice from the then HoD for the computer lab at Kent and some people I knew from Oxford and Cambridge.
    F) Both my parents went to Oxford, there was no way I was following them and going there!
    G) see F)

As for fees, experience is so so important, with the increased fees I'd have to look very closely as to whether it would be a benefit to go to uni when I could be employment for three years. I suspect that I wouldn't go to another uni with the increased fees, it's only because it's Cambridge that I would need to consider it as hard.
    I guess I might be in the minority though, as I went to uni with a skill set good enough for some computing jobs already, perhaps others don't and need the time at uni to build them up. *shrug*

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    All,

A) & B) Though English is offered at both and Oxford has a better reputation (?) I preferred the Cambridge structure and content.
    C) Preferred the location and city at Cambridge
    D) Reputation varies between people; it wasn't much of a factor
    E) Didn't really get any prodding, it was my own choice
    F) An uncle and a cousin went to the college I applied to, so thats a slight factor

ReputationRep:

I hate to say this but in the simple case of Oxford vs Cambridge, my main deciding factor was F. Three of my uncles and my cousin have been there (my cousin is still here, working for the Education dept) and no-one in my family has been to Oxford. Oh, and my great uncle-by-marriage (or something) was Master of Christ's.

Other factors, in order:
    E (goes with F)
    C - I'm a country girl and Cambridge is less intimidating!
    That's about it. As far as I'm aware the courses are very similar, and we all know that arguing over which is better is pointless as both are excellent. For me, Cambridge is best; others might not feel the same.

My main decision was not "Oxford/Cambridge?" it was "Do I apply to Cambridge at all?" Medlink had really put me off the place, even though there was an expectation from school and to a lesser extent family, that I would try for it. I decided to go and look round, partly to visit my cousin and also to look at the medicine open day and really convince myself it wasn't for me. Didn't work. :rolleyes: Fell in love with the place and the rest is history!

ReputationRep:
    The deciding factor was that the classics degree at oxford is 4 years whilst the one at Cambridge is 3 years. I rest my case

ReputationRep:
    Well, It would seem I'm the only one here that by far prefers Oxford as a place! I thought it was a much nicer place, and at the time of applying for maths and computer science, I hadn't really checked out the league tables too much, but knew that either way, the degree and course at oxford would be good.

So basically I applied, and will hopefully be going to oxford, based on the fact that I preferred it as a place, by a long way. May seem stupid, but i've got to spend 3 years there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazbradbury)
    Well, It would seem I'm the only one here that by far prefers Oxford as a place! I thought it was a much nicer place, and at the time of applying for maths and computer science, I hadn't really checked out the league tables too much, but knew that either way, the degree and course at oxford would be good.

So basically I applied, and will hopefully be going to oxford, based on the fact that I preferred it as a place, by a long way. May seem stupid, but i've got to spend 3 years there!
    For me the choice was easy. I lived and went to school in Cambridge so it had to be Oxford. Both are good places to live and work. Oxford has a bit more more going on in terms of arts and entertainment outside of the uni. There are some subjects where Cambridge is better and others where Oxford is superior but in truth for many there isn't much difference. People seem to be paying far too much attention to the assorted broadsheet league tables that really aren't very meaningful at all in differentiating between a few very good universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Ok, I'm at Cambridge and my ranking is..

A) and B) joint - there's no NatSci at Oxford and I preferred the idea of a wider science base
    C) Oxford's too much of a city for me - I found it very intimidating and kind of dark..
    D) Cambridge does have the reputation for science, earned or not (though I think it is, earned, from my experience so far)
    F) I know someone who went to my college, actually, and adored it - so that made me look quite hard at Sidney specifically
    E) God no, my school told me to apply to Oxford! :rolleyes:

Ditto, except for the school telling me to apply to Oxford, cos they let me decide. They did, however, advise me to pick a college that someone from the school had already been to, so I did, loved it, got pooled to another college that someone from my school goes to and think I will love it as well...hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Oxford wins hands down!!!

A) Cams do NatSci, whereas I wanted just Physics!!!
    B) Same as above really - wanted to specalise as bio & chem driving me insane!
    C) Oxford is a much nicer city in my opinion even tho cams is closer to me!
    D) I think Oxford is still seen as a "public sch" uni more than cams, which (without tryin 2 sound like a snob!!!) i preferred as I felt more special!
    F) When i went on open day, i met an undergraduate who was female, at my preferred college and doing physics and suddenly i kno longer felt like a freak! YAY!
    G) I preferred interview style at Oxford, ie. you're there for a few days which allows you to settle (my first two interviews were 24hrs apart), whereas my mate at Cams had them strate after each other!
    E) Everyone else at sch was applying to cams (except one) so i wanted to be different! lol

ReputationRep:

My main deciding factor was to choose the place I preferred too. I applied to study medicine and I thought that the course at either Oxford or Cambridge would be excellent and in terms of reputation for medicine both unis rank almost parallel to one another. So in the end, I just went to visit both places and ended up choosing Oxford as I preferred the place (seemed more lively and as I'm a city girl at heart it was important to me ).

I also quite liked the idea of spending a few days at Oxford as it felt more personal. Plus the prospect of having 2+ interviews at Ox seemed like a good idea

ReputationRep:

I love Oxford to!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:

OXFORD

b) Geography was offered at both Ox and Cam, though I preferred the Oxford course by far
    c) I think Oxford was an amazing place. It may sound stupid, but when I first went there an amazing feeling came over me, it just felt as if I was somewhere very special
    d) In my opinion Oxford does have greater prestige/reputation in the eyes of the average person
    e) School only took us to Oxford, not Cambridge, so maybe that was a factor?
    g) The beauty, history and traditions of the place were a great appeal for me, and I felt it was more traditional than Cam which I preferred. I also liked the idea of the 3/4 day interview period because I felt this gave me the best chance to display my full potential.

-I don't think charging different fees would have affected my decision, I reckon I'd still choose Oxford

ReputationRep:

a/b) german is offered with italian at both unis, ideally i'd have done german/linguistics, which is offered at oxf, however the course there is 50% compulsory literature- not much room for flexibility compared with camb

c) location didnt really bother me, althoiugh having been to cambridge 3 times now i am in love with the place

d) neither is better- cambridge tends to have more of a science rep maybe

e) i wanted to apply to camb- however teachers nominated me as possible oxbridge material (which is when i got showered with details of open days/conferences etc) also german teacher was an oxf graduate and our school tends to send ppl to oxford rather than camb

f) opposite for me- know more people at oxford than i do at camb

g)on the oxford languages pen day, the guy leading the talks was just plain scary! he made it sound like we should already be degree standard in our subject in order to take the course- plus there wasnt really an option to do italian 'ab initio' u had to reach a level standard before u started the course ideally. cambridge were far more realistic and down to earth about everything.

ReputationRep:
    It was going to be Cambridge for me, that was until September 6th 2003-Openday at Cambridge, completely made a fool of myself infront of renowned Dr. Rosemary Horrox. Quickly changed to Oxford. Am happy i did

ReputationRep:
    chose Oxford because I think the social life wil be better there, with Brookes also being there = more students :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    chose Oxford because I think the social life wil be better there, with Brookes also being there = more students :d
    Erm, Cambridge has APU. Where's the difference? Besides, we don't mix much. Dunno about Oxford/Brookes people mixing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    The deciding factor was that the classics degree at oxford is 4 years whilst the one at Cambridge is 3 years. I rest my case
    so where are you going?

ReputationRep:
    I dont go to either, but if i had the choice between the 2 id go for oxford!!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.