Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Falling in love with your bestfriend / close friend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good or bad? Opinions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by nobody.)
    Good or bad? Opinions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    been going through this for months - bad bad BAD. You can't be happy for them when they get a new relationship, but you can't make a move on them because as much as the secret kills you, it'd kill you more to lose them all together.
    Just not good.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's definitely a bad thing.
    As you want to tell them how you feel instead of keeping it bottled in for so long.
    But because they're such a close friend you don't want to risk jeopardising the close friendship you have.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so what about if you end up getting together because you feel the same? then what?
    Do you think it ruins the friendship potentially after your relationship?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good if they feel the same way. Obviously bad if they don't.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It's a soul-destroying situation. Chances are they don't feel the same way about you, and if you come clean about how you feel about them you risk losing them completely, yet you desperately want to let them know. I've been there myself, and trust me it's crushing if you sit back and they get in a relationship with someone else and it's equally destructive if you tell them.

ReputationRep:
    If it's reciprocal, and it works out, then it has the potential to be the best thing ever. If you are mature and good friends I'm sure your friendship could survive a break-up.

If it's one way then it's very painful to both parties.

ReputationRep:
    Bad. I've lost close friends after both deciding to take things further. It's just not worth the risk IMO. Try to just let the feeling pass.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds romantic to me. But need details.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If it's unrequited it's absolutely awful for both of you, even if you remain friends. Don't risk it.

ReputationRep:
    I did and admitted it - she feels the same way too! But because we're such good friends we don't want to date, wrecking the relationship we have now would be stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning to like my best female friend right now and it is not a good situation to be in. Kills me inside not telling her how I feel but at the same time I don't want to lose what we have right now. Maybe one day I will tell her, I just don't want to take the risk. Worst situation ever.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me. But I wouldn't say I fell in love, just strong feelings. Thankfully, he felt the same. And all worked out.

Although, after 2 years we broke up and it was hard to get everything back to how it was. Now, we text almost everyday but I rarely see him around school. :/

ReputationRep:
    I did it, it was reciprocated and it was amazing. But then it went a bit wrong and now we have an awkward, undefinable relationship where sometimes everything is like it used to be and at others it's unbearable to be around each other.

ReputationRep:
    It's not good. I feel very strongly about my best female friend, and it became unbearable so i risked it and told her. She didnt feel the same way, but saw me as a 'brother'.

Its so difficult because you either keep it hidden and it kills you, or you risk losing your friendship by telling them, and if they dont feel the same its even more crushing than normal because you get on so well to begin with - me and my friend were basically going out without the sexual dimension.

Luckily I didnt ruin our friendship. We're too close to let it undo what we have. But i have a feeling it wont be the same as before. I'll wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's great. Getting involved with one my close friends was the only relationship that's ever lasted or made me happy. We have so much mutual ground and so much to talk about that it's always great hanging out together. And it's really nice that we have that remnant of our friendship that isn't romantic, so we can still hang out as pals occasionally, rather than a couple all the time.

Besides, I have quite bad trust issues and can't do emotional intimacy or commitment easily. But he knew me so well and made me feel so safe with who I was (plus, I knew straight away that he was an incredibly kind and honest person) that he's the first guy I was willing to make that jump with.

We're still together a year later, so I'm inclined to say very, very Good.

(Original post by nobody.)
    Good or bad? Opinions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's awkward. You feel like you want to tell them but at the same time you don't want to risk affecting or ruining your friendship on the off chance that they feel the same way about you. It's one of those things where you can risk it but it's a judgement call. Then again you could not tell them and spend the rest of your life wondering "what if."
    Good luck, whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    bad. biggest mistake of my life anyway. you end up losing that person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    Idk why this has been negged. It's completely true with me too. (Although I'm biased )
    Me neither. But I think I can get over it. :p: That's awesome to hear! Hope all works well for you guys too.

It could potentially be good or bad, but I do not dare say anything as I have never had a real relationship before or kissed anyone. It's especially bad when they get in a relationship themselves but you still have a feeling that they like you. In my case their friend told me to make a move because we obviously liked each other but I didn't because I was too nervous, I just said "I don't think so" and soon after they started a relationship with someone else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.