The Student Room Group

Computer/programming related course? I'm doing AS at the moment.

Which university should I go to? And which course should I take?

I am experienced in programming and started at the age of 14.
Fluent with: PHP, Javascript.
Learnt Python and Java in school.
Computing programming GCSE coursework: A*.

A-levels I've taken:
Computing
Edexcel Applied ICT (very time consuming, I think I will just get a plain A for this since I heard the grade boundaries for an A* is very high)
Maths [scored 96/100 UMS for C1, 97/100 for C2, 97/100 for D1].
Further Maths
Physics [scored 102/120 UMS for PHYA1 - 85%]

What courses and universities do you think I will be able to go to?
Do you have any experience or ideas?

Thank you.

Portfolio: http://alan.co.uk/portfolio
Reply 1
If you keep going the way you are you could probably apply to most of the Russell Group uni's. If you enjoy programming you could look towards a Software Engineering degree (what I'm on :biggrin: ), but you've still got a lot of time to think about it; you should start as early as possible with looking around uni open days and ask as many questions as you can.
Reply 2
Went to a uni taster course a few days ago for computer science at Royal Holloway. Ranked 3rd for Computer Science. The course there is good, but I'm not a fan of the actual uni. You don't need ICT to do it. I'm doing Applied ICT too, as well as maths, further maths, physics and DT, and i feel that ICT is a complete waste of time tbh. ^.^

edit: Matrices were helpful when using MatLab for programming btw :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Sarahftw_
i feel that ICT is a complete waste of time tbh

Lemme guess, more learning to use MS office?
Reply 4
Original post by iisjman07
Lemme guess, more learning to use MS office?

It's pretty much Excel, Access some Adobe Dreamweaver and how ICT affects people. So boring.
Reply 5
It's pretty much Excel, Access some Adobe Dreamweaver and how ICT affects people. So boring.

I know, it is the most time-consuming subject however I might as well finish the whole A-level as I've already done 50% of the AS already.

If they just remove the "writing" part of the coursework, then I would have no problem with ICT.
Reply 6
Went to a uni taster course a few days ago for computer science at Royal Holloway. Ranked 3rd for Computer Science. The course there is good, but I'm not a fan of the actual uni. You don't need ICT to do it. I'm doing Applied ICT too, as well as maths, further maths, physics and DT, and i feel that ICT is a complete waste of time tbh. ^.^

edit: Matrices were helpful when using MatLab for programming btw :smile:

Hey, do you have an offer for Computer Science at Royal Holloway? :smile:

Could you tell me a bit about what things you did there and what the atmosphere was like?

I have an offer but haven't been yet. Hope to go when they send me an invitation.
Reply 7
Just took a look at your portfolio, very nice work. Really impressive graphics work. If you enjoy programming I would definitely recommend doing Computer Science, so many jobs in computing atm.
Reply 8
Original post by EagleWing
Hey, do you have an offer for Computer Science at Royal Holloway? :smile:

Could you tell me a bit about what things you did there and what the atmosphere was like?

I have an offer but haven't been yet. Hope to go when they send me an invitation.

No, I don't have an offer since I'm in year 12 atm, it was just a taster not an open day if that makes sense lol.

Had some interesting lectures; first an intro to what computer science is, and then information security which was cool. After that, lunch (which was slightly better than school dinners) and a look at accommodation. Then, I did a bit of programming making fractal mountains and some ball game. Last lecture was about problem solving in games called Nim and 21 and some 'casting out nines' trick for checking answers in maths calculations- very useful.

The atmosphere was very laid back and relaxed. There are slightly more girls than boys there. The actual location is what I'm not a fan of- it's too quiet for me. I prefer noisy London and the underground tbh lol.
Reply 9
Original post by AlanDu
I know, it is the most time-consuming subject however I might as well finish the whole A-level as I've already done 50% of the AS already.

If they just remove the "writing" part of the coursework, then I would have no problem with ICT.

I agree with the writing part- I can't stand it.

hopefully I'll end up dropping it.
Original post by AlanDu
Which university should I go to? And which course should I take?
<snip>

A-levels I've taken:
Computing
Edexcel Applied ICT (very time consuming, I think I will just get a plain A for this since I heard the grade boundaries for an A* is very high)
Maths [scored 96/100 UMS for C1, 97/100 for C2, 97/100 for D1].
Further Maths
Physics [scored 102/120 UMS for PHYA1 - 85%]

What courses and universities do you think I will be able to go to?

Hi,
With that set of subjects, and what looks like the potential to be a great grades, we'd be interested in receiving an application from you for one of our CompSci degrees.

To give you some context, our standard conditional offer for our straight CompSci degree is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. For us Maths is essential, and Further Maths is strongly recommended. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics. I'm afraid ICT wouldn't be particularly relevant to us, but we'd notice your ability to juggle your time. We aren't looking for students with any specific knowledge of computing but we are looking for applicants with a real interest in the subject.

Details of the degrees we offer are given here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Computing_courses_at_Oxford
plus lots more information on what we look for in candidates: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions

Information about upcoming events (open days, taster days etc) are here if you'd like to come and meet us: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Open_days

Do feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending