Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

why do private schools do better than state schools? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Simple really.

State schools have large class sizes, struggle to get rid of badly behaved children, and generally cannot afford any extra help/extra curricular etc.

I work at a state school, and where pupils are setted, the top sets are very large and lower sets small. The middle sets (those that are destined to sit on the borderline) get the worst deal since they get the fairly disruptive kids and those that want to better themselves. The channels for getting "rid" of a badly behaved pupil is also fairly great. I've know of a kid that has brought a pen knife in, thrown a chair across my room, and broken a door - we can't "get rid" of him for various reasons so he continues to disrupt.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with a lot of the points above with the exception of the "academic selectiveness", but only from personal experience and anecdotes.

I went to a really selective and competitive state grammar school, where the academic baseline at entry was really high, and had a really miserable 2 years there. The teaching wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great, and I saw lot of students who were able and had great academic potential stray and struggle. Compared to that, I went to a private senior school before and a public(so private) boarding school for 6th form after, both of which were less selective academically (they had entrance exams and requirements, but very noticeably easier than the grammar school), but the teaching was more attentive (and teachers seemed better qualified) and my peers from there, at the age of 23, have better A-level grades, more went to uni, and arguably with better jobs now.

That said, social selectiveness I think does play a large role - there is more peer pressure at private schools to do well academically and be more proactive, which often counts for a lot more than authoritative pressure. There was some heavy vetting at interviews, and at the primary level, much scrutiny of the parents.

This is only from personal experience, from going to 3 private schools and 3 state schools (from primary to 6th form) in the UK(yeah I moved schools a lot), and very generalised (there were some really good teachers at the state school, and some whose teaching styles I hated at the private schools), but a trend I observed nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    I think private schools are responsible for individual care as they charge pretty good amount to teach students. They provide much better facilities with quality education guided by quality teachers. Whereas state schools do not provide individual care to their students, cannot provide much facilities. Another reason can be most of the students who goes into private schools are from wealthy family. So may be they take extra classes outside school which gives them an extra support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apolocreed)
    Not to be pedantic but a public school is a private school (a)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I was going to say that

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.