The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2300
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXAMPLE ESSAYS for weather and climate or plate tectonics I could read through please!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2301
does anyone know what shorter questions came up in jan 13 for weather and conflict? would be a big help :smile:
Original post by joereed
Ive started to realise that worrying is pointless. Most of the time, facts ARE actually going into your head you just realise it. Once you put pen to paper, you'll realise that you will soon start to remember much more than you thought. Believe in yourself!

^This^

Don't underestimate how much you actually know. Because right now no-one is forcing specific answers from you, and therefore it is hard to recall stuff you've learnt.
Reply 2303
Original post by LuLinda95
Haha how did you guess?! :wink:

It's probably quite bad that I've used the revision guide rather than most of my own notes, it means I've got different case studies to most of my classmates but I just find it so much more reassuring knowing that all of the information is there rather than sifting through my notes and hoping I've got everything!

Cause ive literally just read through that page like 5 minutes ago haha, yeh a lot of my class has different case studies aswell and i think i trust the revision guide more than my teacher (who really is that great) lol
Reply 2304
Original post by joereed
That's up for debate - if so many people were evacuated surely that meant there were not enough strategies in place to deal with homelessness and areas deemed unsafe to live in.

Also highlights the dependency on foreign intervention as well. Montserrat suffered more after the eruption as they needed appropriate aid and it was inappropriate with organisations refusing local knowledge where water supplies were contaminated causing disease to spread.
Original post by jacob1208
That is what I have stuggled on aswell. How do you link them back to the question?

I'm not entirely sure how to word this so sorry if it's a bit confusing! Um say it was a plate tectonics question on how the economic status of an area affects the damage caused/resonses. You could write something about how LEDCs have poor infrastructure and link it back to the question by saying more buildings fall down and have to be rebuilt and more lives are lost by falling buildings, and responses are usually slower in LEDCs so again more lives are lost etc.

Basically just make sure everything you write ties in with the question, you don't want to waste time writing a massive paragraph that takes 10 minutes to find out that when you re-look at the question the things you've written don't really tie in! I've had a fair few large paragraphs marked where I've only gotten 2 or 3 marks so just make sure you use your time wisely :smile:
Original post by ben10101
Also highlights the dependency on foreign intervention as well. Montserrat suffered more after the eruption as they needed appropriate aid and it was inappropriate with organisations refusing local knowledge where water supplies were contaminated causing disease to spread.

They're a British Overseas Territory. I wouldn't say the eruption caused foreign aid dependency.

If the Isle of Man suffered a devastating earthquake should they be criticised for not being able to deal with it themselves?
Original post by dawg
Has anybody else got General Studies in the morning? I've got 4 and a half hours of exams tomorrow!

Hmmm, so have I :frown: the 2 and a half hours is going to go sooooo slowly I think :frown: my last main exam so bound to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jmim101
does anyone know what shorter questions came up in jan 13 for weather and conflict? would be a big help :smile:

For Weather, the first question gives an extract from an Indian news report on a storm which you have to analyse and pick out the management strategies.
Question 2 is: "Explain the formation of tropical revolving storms".
Question 3 is: "Evaluate the possible effects of global warming on one tropical region that you have studied".

For Conflict, the first question gives a map of Somalia which shows conflict and instability and you have to analyse it.
Question 2 is: "With reference to a conflict over the use of a local resources, outline the reasons for the conflict and the attitudes of different groups of people to it."
Question 3 is: "Discuss the outcomes of the conflict outlined in Question 17, for both those who may lose and those who may benefit".

Hope this helps! Took me a while to write this so somebody may have already answered!
Reply 2309
For montserrat I think you'd say stuff like yeah, key infrastructure was built in risk zones but because the island is so small and nearly half of it was at risk by pyroclastic flows, they had no option but to build things like hositals etc in these areas. You'd say the evacuation saved lots of lives but it didn't stop buildings and land being destroyed and ruining half the island. However even with more solid buildings etc (like ones in MEDC's) they'd still be destroyed because pyro flows are so powerful. Then you could say how people were moved to the UK and now live here. This is good management because otherwise they may be homeless in Monserrat.
I think that's correct.
I think that's right.
Reply 2310
can someone please explain to me what planning and management is in context of world cities?
exams today went crap and geography is looking hopeless :frown:
Reply 2312
Original post by midnightice
I guess you could say the response has been relatively slow i.e. new housing completed in 2005...
But the surrounding populations were aware of the threat with all the hazard zones created for the island.
What strategies can deal with mass homelessness? The country is limited in size as well as general economic prosperity so the migration strategies and the temporary housing strategies seemed to work well considering their situation.

Of course, arguing either way would look great in an answer!

I was thinking the same thing, this sort of debate is brilliant! For mass homelessness, better evacuation facilities and, as it is an LEDC, a lot of the strategies were provided by international aid because, as you say, the general economic prosperity is limited. Plus I thought the exclusion zones were set up after the 1995 eruption?
Reply 2313
Original post by midnightice
I wouldn't say the management was poor. It was hardly an Armero-type tragedy; there's not much you can do to stop ash falling or pyroclastic flows devastating housing. The very fact that thousands were evacuated shows management was successful.

Plus the 19 people who died as a result of the Soufriere Hills eruption killed by pyroclastics where in an area that was "officially evacuated" so not that much more they could have done. You could criticise their long term response though much of the island remains uninhabitable 16 years after the major eruptions, they had to abandon their capital of Plymouth etc
Original post by Gary
praying introduced species does not come up for ecosystems

Same there is loads of small little sh***y sections in ecosystems which any logical person would assume that there is no way at least 8 marks could be tested on that, but this is aqa, who had a 7 mark question on pot holes at AS
Original post by joereed
I was thinking the same thing, this sort of debate is brilliant! For mass homelessness, better evacuation facilities and, as it is an LEDC, a lot of the strategies were provided by international aid because, as you say, the general economic prosperity is limited. Plus I thought the exclusion zones were set up after the 1995 eruption?

No, they were set up "during and after the eruption" - the 1997 eruption being the main devastating one. They were reacting to the 1995 events.
Reply 2316
Original post by NFLAlex
Plus the 19 people who died as a result of the Soufriere Hills eruption killed by pyroclastics where in an area that was "officially evacuated" so not that much more they could have done. You could criticise their long term response though much of the island remains uninhabitable 16 years after the major eruptions, they had to abandon their capital of Plymouth etc

For an LEDC the measures were good. However the vast scientific research here is concentrated from other nations
Reply 2317
Can someone please give me some good plate tectonic theory notes? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2318
Original post by LuLinda95
For Weather, the first question gives an extract from an Indian news report on a storm which you have to analyse and pick out the management strategies.
Question 2 is: "Explain the formation of tropical revolving storms".
Question 3 is: "Evaluate the possible effects of global warming on one tropical region that you have studied".

For Conflict, the first question gives a map of Somalia which shows conflict and instability and you have to analyse it.
Question 2 is: "With reference to a conflict over the use of a local resources, outline the reasons for the conflict and the attitudes of different groups of people to it."
Question 3 is: "Discuss the outcomes of the conflict outlined in Question 17, for both those who may lose and those who may benefit".

Hope this helps! Took me a while to write this so somebody may have already answered!

Ah Thank you so much! any ideas on what the tectonics 40 marker was?
Reply 2319
would could you say for mt nirigongo in the congo? I've got that 300,000 were evucated into neighbouring Rwanda and this kept the death rate fairly low. The UN spent 10 million on food sanitation etc to give to these refugees. What else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending