Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    no, thats what the examiners reports tell you not to do - its what the "figure" shows and suggests. you will comment on the information given for example any inaccuracies, what it tells you about so and so...

what I always do: once I have quoted the figure i say "this suggests" this "gives the implication that" "this shows that" etc etc- I'm not sure if I am right..

good point though, I would like to know how other people answer the 7 markers!

AVOID EXPLANATION ! haha
    yeh I quote something and say 'I think this shows' etc. I try to use 'I' a lot in comment questions

ReputationRep:
    no, thats what the examiners reports tell you not to do - its what the "figure" shows and suggests. you will comment on the information given for example any inaccuracies, what it tells you about so and so...

what I always do: once I have quoted the figure i say "this suggests" this "gives the implication that" "this shows that" etc etc- I'm not sure if I am right..

good point though, I would like to know how other people answer the 7 markers!

AVOID EXPLANATION ! haha
    Thanks I didn't know that. For example if for a weather qs it was describe and comment on the atmospheric circulation and I said about why heat rises and why it sinks would I get no credit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniS)
    I know its not the best technique, but do you find with geography you go in with so much stuff in your head you want to write everything you possibly know? I don't have a structure for shorter answer questions, do you? Questions are so varied I haven't got a general structure, of course for the 40 marker I do
    well what I have worked out for the shorter mark questions is that you can group information into categories - for instance

comment on the diagram of a food web drawn below:

*diagram of food web*

you would group the info into: autotrophs, herbivores, carnivores, omnivores and tertiary (top carnivores) - and PointEvidenceComment each....I don't know how successful this method is though - but it makes it easy to write nonetheless

but sometimes its difficult to do it this way in exam conditions!

ReputationRep:
    yeh I quote something and say 'I think this shows' etc. I try to use 'I' a lot in comment questions
    one thing I learnt in history is to avoid the use of "I" it makes a stronger answer!

ReputationRep:
    one thing I learnt in history is to avoid the use of "I" it makes a stronger answer!
    but surely when it says comment, it wants your thoughts, therefore I is suitable? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    but surely when it says comment, it wants your thoughts, therefore I is suitable? I don't know.
    I'm not saying it doesn't jenni you won't lose marks at all - but which sounds stronger in an answer -

- "I think this shows that"

- "this shows that"

it makes it sound erm, stronger as when you say "I" its opinion based rather than fact....

I don't know, I think its just me - I avoid using I as it's a big no no in history! and my history teacher says it makes for a stronger argument by not using "I" but you did really well last year? so I think that's proof that what you are doing is working to your advantage so I wouldn't change what you are doing!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it doesn't jenni you won't lose marks at all - but which sounds stronger in an answer -

- "I think this shows that"

- "this shows that"

it makes it sound erm, stronger as when you say "I" its opinion based rather than fact....

I don't know, I think its just me - I avoid using I as it's a big no no in history! and my history teacher says it makes for a stronger argument by not using "I" but you did really well last year? so I think that's proof that what you are doing is working to your advantage so I wouldn't change what you are doing!
    haha fair point. To be fair, geography is the only subject where I have to write more than a sentence for an answer haha yeh last year I got 200/200 ums, but this year is a whole different game

ReputationRep:
    haha fair point. To be fair, geography is the only subject where I have to write more than a sentence for an answer haha yeh last year I got 200/200 ums, but this year is a whole different game
    That says it all! I will be getting tips from you haha!

ReputationRep:
    I recommend everyone this book - cheap as chips and good for revision!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp...+geography+aqa

ReputationRep:
    I recommend everyone this book - cheap as chips and good for revision!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp...+geography+aqa
    are the practice questions in it any use? problem with geography is the definate lack of practice questions!

ReputationRep:
    are the practice questions in it any use? problem with geography is the definate lack of practice questions!
    I think all the practice questions in the book are rubbish, do you make some up yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I think all the practice questions in the book are rubbish, do you make some up yourself?
    I normally make up my own questions or use similar to what previous qs have been. The aqa book questions would never come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacktomos95)
    I normally make up my own questions or use similar to what previous qs have been. The aqa book questions would never come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hmm yeh might not bother buying it, have at least 3 textbooks already. I make some up, my school just don't do revision practice with us. This is where I prefer chemistry and maths where you just do loads of practice papers which eventually get so repetitive you can pretty much sprout the mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    do any of you find the Oxford aqa student book (the one with the door on the front) really bad - it doesn't have enough info in it and my teacher makes me use it and not the phillip alan textbook....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheldorofazaroth)
    The little questions seem simple fingers crossed they will be like this in June... But thank you for this

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    which tropical biome did you study? I studied the tropical rainforest of which there is loads of information available, plus a variety of case studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joereed)
    which tropical biome did you study? I studied the tropical rainforest of which there is loads of information available, plus a variety of case studies.
    I've done tropical a rainforest too more interesting than a savanna :P and it links well with what I did in 4b!

I'm doing CACC as my case study, and generall facts and figures of the amazon! what about you?

ReputationRep:
    can someone help: with reference to examples discuss the ways in which the nature of volcanic hazards can vary (10 marks) im not sure about what to write do they want the physical variations or the variation in impacts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emah123)
    can someone help: with reference to examples discuss the ways in which the nature of volcanic hazards can vary (10 marks) im not sure about what to write do they want the physical variations or the variation in impacts?
    I would first start with different plate boundaries and what type of volcanoes and their nature. Explain in detail. Also say that more can be explosive than others and depending on this death tolls can change and frequency and explosivity will vary. Bring in examples for 9/10 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what came up in January Unit 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aron17)
    I have already sat this exam twice, so if anyone has any questions feel fre to ask.
    Do you know what came up in January for unit 3?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.