The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniel George
what did everyone write for that conflicts 7 marker? that was a bitch

Greatest inequality in Southern Asia - perhaps due to rural/urban differences

Less of a range between richest 20% than poorest 20% suggesting that the richest 20% have a more even wealth (not sure about this point!)

Northern Africa has least inequality and therefore wealth must be more fairly distributed as well as being the best country overall in terms of malnourishment - perhaps due to oil trade?

Yeah, I found coming up with points on that one a little difficult. I had lots in my head but had no idea how to phrase them or to get a decent comment on them!
Original post by flower124
Were you meant to compare an LEDC with an MEDC for the world cities about economic development and urbanisation? Cos I just talked about Mumbai being increasingly economically developed and a centre for world trade and Bollywood culture, so people move there in the expectation of getting a good job but this is under false pretences and they can't get houses so have to live in slums and talked about the problems of this and how they're managed? :smile:

I talked about Mumbai as well as I was never taught an MEDC but I made some up about London. However, I've just realised that throughout my answer I spelt Mumbai wrong as I spelt it as Mumbaii!
I wrote about the slums and pressure on resources and services too and the pull factors.
Bit of a silly question but i wrote the question number at the top of each page it went onto and then realised i shouldn't have so i coloured the boxes in at the end when i had put the question number again. Is that ok?
Original post by clonedmemories

Greatest inequality in Southern Asia - perhaps due to rural/urban differences

Less of a range between richest 20% than poorest 20% suggesting that the richest 20% have a more even wealth (not sure about this point!)

Northern Africa has least inequality and therefore wealth must be more fairly distributed as well as being the best country overall in terms of malnourishment - perhaps due to oil trade?

Yeah, I found coming up with points on that one a little difficult. I had lots in my head but had no idea how to phrase them or to get a decent comment on them!

I did this question last so it was a WAFFLE!
i did plate tectonics and d&g structured and the world cities essay
was shocked to see the mann whitney u test there, couldnt remember if significance was higher or lower than the critical value :/
loved the tsunami question, but dont know how the 10 marker went :/ is management of earthquakes things like building structures and land planning etc or is it more about evacuation and management after the event? i wasnt sure so wrote about both :/
loved the d&g questions, but was surprised they were all on TNC's expected a bit more variety
was confused with the world cities essay too :frown: we had done urbanisation, and done is development sustainable, i found myself just writing case studies adn trying to link them to whether its sustainable or not so i mentioned curitiba, london bike scheme, bangalore, dharavi and LA in it, but i realised i linked everything back to environmental sustainability and forgot about economic sustainabilty :/ so no idea how that one went haha
but i think it was okish overall
Reply 2885
World cities structured were shocking
Reply 2886
Could anyone doing development, conflicts and weather tell me their opinion out of 10 for the questions? want to see if I can predict the grade boundaries :smile:
I did this question last so it was a WAFFLE!

My intention was to do my essay first and then do my structured questions, but I couldn't decide immediately whether to go for the conflict or globalisation essays so I did my plates question, then decided to go for conflict structured, so my essay at the end got into a bit of a waffle! Especially as I concluded then thought of a point + Google Moment I could have put earlier in the essay with 5 minutes left so there was some very quick waffling there!
Reply 2888
Original post by acedlol
At the risk of pissing you off, after doing 2 of these exams and watching this one, the questions seem to be pretty ****ing fantastic this year around.

June always has higher grade boundaries, but I think we'll see it at least equal to June 2012 or a little higher.

Or perhaps its just you lot so pro.

Anyone tell me what the weather essay was?

The weather essay question was on global climactic change, using an Al Gore quote saying that we where the problem "The earth has a fever.. we are that fever" something like that
Original post by ontnorth
World cities structured were shocking

Everyone at my school hated them :redface:
Original post by Maid Marian
Sigh. My answers made it look like I knew nothing at all. I could recite you anything about monsoons; winds, temp, air and precipitation in urban cities; tropical storms & case studies; air masses affecting Britain; origins of depressions; The Great Storm 1987 ETC ETC ETC and that is just weather alone! Let's not get started on Tectonics (I could recite you everything about the plate tectonic theory and all the dates and all the people ... sigh).

The one, single topic I did not have time to learn properly was the millionaire/mega cities bit for World Cities. I thought, there's no way that will come up :redface: It did. That was the one thing I knew nothing about.

I wish I could just turn back the last two weeks and tell myself not to bother.

You have just summarised how I feel exactly :frown: I learned SO many facts and dates and as soon as I saw world cities, I shed an actual tear, my A is now out the window - luckily the weather section was ok but the rest was just blehhhh I feel like poo
Original post by Ellie_May :)
I talked about Mumbai as well as I was never taught an MEDC but I made some up about London. However, I've just realised that throughout my answer I spelt Mumbai wrong as I spelt it as Mumbaii!
I wrote about the slums and pressure on resources and services too and the pull factors.
Ah excellent :smile: Yeah I was never taught an MEDC either! All my MEDCs were for other stuff like counter or sub urbanisation so didn't think they'd be relevant. Same I talked about there being a strain on water resources and little health care and waste management, congestion then management of these issues. Hopefully we've included the right stuff! Ha, i'm sure they wont care about spelling :smile:
Original post by flower124
Ah excellent :smile: Yeah I was never taught an MEDC either! All my MEDCs were for other stuff like counter or sub urbanisation so didn't think they'd be relevant. Same I talked about there being a strain on water resources and little health care and waste management, congestion then management of these issues. Hopefully we've included the right stuff! Ha, i'm sure they wont care about spelling :smile:

Omg I also made up facts about London! I thought I had no other urbanisation case study to compare it to, especially as THE SPECIFICATION SAID WE ONLY NEEDED ONE :angry: at least I'm not the only one who did this
Original post by conniemuir
You have just summarised how I feel exactly :frown: I learned SO many facts and dates and as soon as I saw world cities, I shed an actual tear, my A is now out the window - luckily the weather section was ok but the rest was just blehhhh I feel like poo

:console:
Did you do the tectonics essay? That was the only bit I think I did alright on :s-smilie:
The horror of those World Cities questions ... I can't even:doh: :dontknow:

I don't understand how three questions can properly test you on the subject. It makes no sense to me. It would be better to have, say, five 5 markers for the structured questions.
Reply 2894
thank god that tsunamis came up though :smile:. only part of the paper I was actually happy to see! Defo banged out 7-8 marks on that badboy
Reply 2895
Glad its not just me, looks like world cities ****ed everyone up! They must mark accordingly! What happened to the simple suburbanisation etc. questions?
Original post by clonedmemories
My intention was to do my essay first and then do my structured questions, but I couldn't decide immediately whether to go for the conflict or globalisation essays so I did my plates question, then decided to go for conflict structured, so my essay at the end got into a bit of a waffle! Especially as I concluded then thought of a point + Google Moment I could have put earlier in the essay with 5 minutes left so there was some very quick waffling there!

I did the essay in the middle, did you find you had enough time in the exam - I don't think I was rushed at all! surprisingly!
Original post by Axion
thank god that tsunamis came up though :smile:. only part of the paper I was actually happy to see! Defo banged out 7-8 marks on that badboy

it was inevitable that tsunamis would come up! and go you buddy :biggrin:
Any one remember the first globalisation question? I wrote about 3 individual governments management of impacts of Globalisation. People have been saying it explicitly said 1. Anyone remember? :cool:
Reply 2899
I did the essay in the middle, did you find you had enough time in the exam - I don't think I was rushed at all! surprisingly!

Really? I was sooo rushed I couldn't include a couple more points I wanted in my ecosystem questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending