Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickymouse1995)
    world cities essay did want about sustainable transport and waste management didnt it???
    they d and g 25 was ok, mostly waffled about apple and unilever
    tectonics 25, just described what i saw for the 7 marker then tsunami wrote about what happens and linked it to japan and thailand seismic activity wrote about eq drills and patterns

hope i did ok

I did the same as you but I wrote about shell and mattel instead!
    But I didn't even write about waste management or transport, I talked about slums in Dharavi and Rocinha and then about urban sprawl and environmental pollution. Some people have said they wrote about transport and waste but some people did the same as me! So who knows... hopefully we are all right :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyntaxZogre)
    Yeah we didn't either, but that is why I love development, because I can talk about amazing communist rebels I like to read about in my spare time lol.

I don't get your bit with China though. You say China resolved its issues without a significant intrusion from external forces, but it was only because of those external forces investing in China's manufacturing industry that China became such a large economy. China's success relied solely on foreign powers because of trade...
    I made that point as well, but it was the government that opened up the doors to trade in the first place for the benefit of the county and then used the money to improve quality of life in the country (like with new infrastructure and the like) So I span it in a way that it was the government that was responsible for bringing the trade in terms of setting up SEZs and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    ****, is PATH local?
    No, I think I just got confused. They use it in multiple countries so it can't be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    Separatism essay doesn't sound very popular, anyone who done it - what were the issues?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wrote social regarding the kurds erm marginalisation, exclusion, being oppressed,leading to terrorism and insurrection, the disaspora... and economic on tourism in turkey decreasing, political om oppression and UN intervention... and Scots separatism on regional government opposing their independence and basically compared the outcome of separatist nationalism regarding both case studies in the conclusion.. definitely didn't make it synoptic enough though and only used two examples :| u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randa23)
    You will get your essay mark which is good as it it is out of the most marks.
    Then they will take your best 25 marker for human.

Your maximum mark is 65/90 which is good enough for A (even an A* if low grade boundaries) assuming you get full marks.

If your looking at 30 in essay and 15 in 25 marker you get 45/90 which most years is a C

Hope that helps
    Woah I never knew about this rule before!

I did a human essay, and a human 25 marker and physical 25 marker.

Tell me I'm safe?

So you couldn't do two 25 markers on purely human or physical? Wow, we were never told about this, and I think some of my friends did the same mistake as that guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer_dreamer)
    No, I think I just got confused. They use it in multiple countries so it can't be.
    phew, my para on debt cancellation was pretty dire though - I spoke about how debt cancellation in uganda led to improvements and said it was by the UN and monetary fund?

fml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrmcgoo)
    It seems like I answered the world cities essay in a slightly different way to everyone else in that I did not include transport or waste management. Just wanted to see if people agree that it could have been answered in this way as well.

i started by splitting the concept of sustainability into the 4 basic types of sustainability: economic, social, environmental and human. I then defined urbanisation and went through some of the causes and impacts. For social sustainability I talked about rising tensions between the rich and the poor due to the development of slums and how social sustainability of urbanisation was more viable in developed countries. For economic I talked about the informal economy in slums and talked about a rapid rate of urbanisation can catch authorities out and therefore legislation will not be at a high standard allowing easy tax evasion and avoidance. (£1.4 trillion of Mumbai money is kept in Switzerland.) finally for environmental sustainability of urbanisation I talked about poor legislation in developing countries allows greater pollution and they may be unwilling to improve it due to risk of limiting Eco growth.

sorry for long post. Does anyone think this is ok?

I did it like this too! Said about Mumbai being more sustainable than São Paulo because they're an LIC and it's fuelling their economic growth. I also linked it to suburbanisation as a result of urbanisation being unsustainable in LA. I told my teacher this an she said that what I wrote sounded good but other people wrote about transport and waste management and she said ok could write about that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacktomos95)
    Does anyone know what the development 10 marker was on. Was it host country or Origin

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Host country, well I hope so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dawg)
    For people who did the D+G structured questions,

On the 8 marker, outline the reasons for growth of TNCs, what did people write?

I wrote to take advantage of cheap labour and reduced tariffs, get around trade barriers (toyota) and to gain access to new markets such as samsung in Warsaw. My mind went blank on that question and I couldn't think of anything else. only wrote just over half a page. Did people write much more?
    I feel like I saw this question differently to everyone eifhvjknscur. I kind of saw it as asking about the reasons why TNCs have grown and so I talked about:

-Exploiting comparative advantage in terms of labour.
    -Improved communication allowing them to function properly across the world.
    -Improved transport which allows them to ship goods etc.
    -Decreasing protectionist policy employed around the world.

Yours sound right though and it doesn't matter if it was half a page, it probably just means it was cogent and to the point ...I, on the other hand, will just keep kicking myself for looking at the question in the wrong way!

How did you find the rest of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr__H)
    Yeah I think I did petty well, btw did you write about only unsustainable or sustainable as well
    I wrote about unsustainability considering economic and environment and then sustainability considering economic and environment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    I made that point as well, but it was the government that opened up the doors to trade in the first place for the benefit of the county and then used the money to improve quality of life in the country (like with new infrastructure and the like) So I span it in a way that it was the government that was responsible for bringing the trade in terms of setting up SEZs and things like that.
    Interesting, what you say is true, and it ties in with the overarching power of China's government. Hopefully we'll do well

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the development 10 marker was on. Was it host country or Origin

Posted from TSR Mobile

host country :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    phew, my para on debt cancellation was pretty dire though - I spoke about how debt cancellation in uganda led to improvements and said it was by the UN and monetary fund?

fml
    Using Uganda as specific example should gain marks surely? I don't really know, sorry.

We can't change what we've written now, so just need to concentrate on the rest instead

ReputationRep:
    Guys there already is a thread for unit 4B here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2355367 only it is very quiet atm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad-astra)
    I wrote pretty much what you did; about the improvements in navigation and the 'container revolution,' improvements in communications, large company's movement towards cheaper production/assembly, and there want to base their R&D departments in concentrations of highly educated people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad-astra)
    I feel like I saw this question differently to everyone eifhvjknscur. I kind of saw it as asking about the reasons why TNCs have grown and so I talked about:

Yours sound right though and it doesn't matter if it was half a page, it probably just means it was cogent and to the point ...I, on the other hand, will just keep kicking myself for looking at the question in the wrong way!

How did you find the rest of the paper?
    Thanks, yeah it wasn't too bad. I did World Cities essay which was not too bad but I felt I kept going off on a tangent and not answering the question properly! Also did the tectonics structured which I thought was okay, first question was abit weird though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyntaxZogre)
    Woah I never knew about this rule before!

I did a human essay, and a human 25 marker and physical 25 marker.

Tell me I'm safe?

So you couldn't do two 25 markers on purely human or physical? Wow, we were never told about this, and I think some of my friends did the same mistake as that guy.
    3 different sections - A, B and C

You had to pick a 1 Q from each of the sections but the topics could not be the same e.g I did Ecosystems and Globalization for the 25 marks and tectonics for the essay. You should be fine! As long as you didn't pick the same topic twice or from the same section twice

ReputationRep:
    Thread for unit 4a !!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was the host country.

ReputationRep:
    what grade does everyone think they will get after this exam?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.