Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracecooke55)
    I wrote like 2 sentences about the ocean then did a pretty diagram of the pressure cells and planetary surface winds and explained how it affected th UK basically
    Ah yeah I did the same, and added a bit about the north atlantic drift and some nonsense about the jet stream at the end! Other people in my class wrote about the five different air masses affecting the UK!?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for August everyone )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    does everyone feel the grades we achieve in geography are always unexpected? I feel I have done alright, but with AQA that's usually a bad sign haha...
    Haha, totally agree! It's always tricky to gauge with AQA..

ReputationRep:
    Worried I've completely messed up on the tectonics essay question now! Were you meant to write about psyhical factors posing a hazard, e.g. flooding? Just spent the entire essay babbling on about planning in Montserrat and mount st Helens and talked about the locations and how Montserrat was more remote so difficult to get aid in! Oops, will I get marked down for this? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flower124)
    Worried I've completely messed up on the tectonics essay question now! Were you meant to write about psyhical factors posing a hazard, e.g. flooding? Just spent the entire essay babbling on about planning in Montserrat and mount st Helens and talked about the locations and how Montserrat was more remote so difficult to get aid in! Oops, will I get marked down for this? :/
    I think the question was more or less open-ended, but as long as you talked bout "around the world" it should be okay !! I can't even remember what I wrote...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flower124)
    Ah yeah I did the same, and added a bit about the north atlantic drift and some nonsense about the jet stream at the end! Other people in my class wrote about the five different air masses affecting the UK!?
    I mainly wrote about the 5 air masses, is this wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie_worther)
    Oh right okay! So i got 72/80 in 4b so that probably means i still need 108/120 in unit 3 doesn't it? Because I was only just into the A* in 4b?
    Correct - probably around 67/90 Raw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    I think the question was more or less open-ended, but as long as you talked bout "around the world" it should be okay !! I can't even remember what I wrote...
    What do you mean by around the world....I don't think I actually used the phrase in my essay :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    im really worried im going to get marked done for only talkng about aid in the D&G essay?

also for the world cites and tectonics 10 markers- where is say 'using examples' would you get marked down if you spoke about one casestudy only but in alot of depth or do you have to refer to more than one casestudy?

please anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Croydon'Stepper)
    I'm pretty sure your school will sort that if you didn't, mate.

Aiming for an A* in this and did: Weather & Climate, Globalisation shorts and Tectonics essay - Weather & Climate was the dodgiest part in my opinion, Globalisation was piss.
    Well hopefully- I just realised that we go to the same school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyntaxZogre)
    Woah I never knew about this rule before!

I did a human essay, and a human 25 marker and physical 25 marker.

Tell me I'm safe?

So you couldn't do two 25 markers on purely human or physical? Wow, we were never told about this, and I think some of my friends did the same mistake as that guy.

Sounds like your teachers are doing such a good job. You have to do a 25 marker on physical and then a 25 marker for human. Then an essay one either human or physical. My class went on which units we'd been taught.

So we were taught tectonics, weather and conflicts. Conflicts had to be a 25 marker. One of tectonics or weather was 25 marks the other was an essay.

Its kind of the whole point of the paper and says it on the front of question paper. I'm surprised the teachers didnt know. I hope none of your friends desperately needed a good mark in geog 3 for uni offers

ReputationRep:
    The answer is
    relevant and
    accurate.
    Reasonable
    knowledge.
    Imbalanced
    theories

I just read this from the essay markscheme and the highest you can get is 20 if your essay is imbalanced! omg am i screwed???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad-astra)
    How did you do yours? / Which kinds of issues? I thought the question was so broad!
    I compared Scotland to Yugoslavia. First paragraph I wrote why Scotland wanted independence so for political, economic and cultural reasons despite devolution but split that into 3 paragraphs. Next paragraph why states in Yugoslavia wanted independence but this was more to do with different ethnicities I suppose.
    Remaining paragraphs were about the consequences so for Scotland it has been peaceful/non-violent, wrote about the referendum and what would happen economically if they left the EU whilst Yugoslavia was more violent and went into a bit of detail with the different ways such as guerilla tactics, NATO/US intervention, massacres and ethnic cleansing. Hope that was right but I guess because it was quite broad it might be ok!

ReputationRep:
    To everyone saying about the Mann Whitney U being there - YOU DIDN'T need to understand the concept, apparently you could still get 7/7 just by saying that the magnitude, range and time scale were different and then comment on all of that and give reasons.

Clearly you would not need to understand a concept not in the syllabus - these papers have been written years in advance, they would have been checked, its on the first page so its not hard to miss!

ReputationRep:
    I know this is the nature of Geography exams but is anybody else annoyed by the fact we've spent the past year learning/revising a huge chunk of information for about 5% to come up on the exam? And where World Cities was concerned, that 5% also just so happened to be the narrowest sectionr of it ever!
    Hoping my blagging got me through those questions!

ReputationRep:
    For the world cities essay

My outline was defining sustainability and urbanisation, giving reasons for urbanisation in Mumbai and London, then going on to explain how urbanisation affects the transport network in both cities and the strategies used to deal with it - in London, congestion charge, bendy buses, etc and said that it was sustainable because of the huge tube and cross rail network acting as a substitute for the car. However I compared it to the problems in another HIC - Los Angeles and how the majority of people use cars and only 10% use the transport network, compared to the 40% in London. Because of the problems related to suburbanisation, transport sustainability was not possible unless measures to tackle urban sprawl were put into place.

However in Mumbai I outlined how the city was confined by the sea on 3 sides and in the North Dharavi blocked the only main entrance in an out of the city, because of rising house prices in Mumbai people often are forced to live north of Mumbai and thus have to commute through Dharavi which in turn causes congestion and pollution, this coupled with urbanisation of the city - rising population, etc due to natural increase and the pull factors of rural to urban migration. I then said that the only possible solution was to redevelop Dharavi and knock the existing slums down - however I said that this would impact the sustainability of waste management in the area.

Then explained waste management in Dharavi - gave the "Dharavi is the green Lung of Mumbai quote" - said it was economically sustainable, but the social costs outweighed the benefits, gave loads of bull**** facts and figures, environmental conditions of the workers not sustainable, the fact that Dharavi may be knocked down etc. Linked rising urbanisation with more waste in both HICs and LICs, then explained London and measures taken in Camborne to deal with waste - £700 million recycling plant, micro chipped PAYG bins. However said that even in an HIC this was not economically sustainable, ran out of time so just concluded that in this respect London has a lot to learn from Dharavi.

Didn't finish a main conclusion and was wondering if I would get marked down for this?

What do people reckon I would get out of 40 for this, I definitely got above 42/50 in the short answers, so anything above 25 I would be content with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emah123)
    The answer is
    relevant and
    accurate.
    Reasonable
    knowledge.
    Imbalanced
    theories

I just read this from the essay markscheme and the highest you can get is 20 if your essay is imbalanced! omg am i screwed???
    can someone please put me out of my misery!!! did everyone else who did the d&g essay write about trade aswell as aid.. i only talked about aid and then a small paragraph on trade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    To everyone saying about the Mann Whitney U being there - YOU DIDN'T need to understand the concept, apparently you could still get 7/7 just by saying that the magnitude, range and time scale were different and then comment on all of that and give reasons.

Clearly you would not need to understand a concept not in the syllabus - these papers have been written years in advance, they would have been checked, its on the first page so its not hard to miss!
    It said, comment on the results of the investigation. There is no way you can get into the top of level 2 (5,6,7) without saying reject the null hypothesis etc.

Then again, it comes up in Geog4a so not sure where is sits with geog4b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    It said, comment on the results of the investigation. There is no way you can get into level 2 without saying reject the null hypothesis etc.
    i didnt explicitly say ' i reject the null hypothesis' but said that their is a relationship between magnitude and whatever the other was, would they still give me the mark?

also i went on to talk about the average for japan was higher because in a seismically active zone? was this ok to talk about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emah123)
    can someone please put me out of my misery!!! did everyone else who did the d&g essay write about trade aswell as aid.. i only talked about aid and then a small paragraph on trade!
    Ive never seen anyone comment on their own comment lool

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.