Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    I was told that everyone needs to know all skills and that any could come up from the list from 3 and 4A - no idea whether that's from the syllabus or not, though. Anything could come up in 3 and 4A from the skills list, so while it was a surprise, I don't think they've done anything wrong by doing it as some people seem to have been suggesting.

But yes, you could still make comments without understanding MWU. I think I only wrote 1 of my 3 points on the actual MWU result.
    Surely you couldn't reject the null hypothesis from the MWU? One of the data sets had a very low confidence value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IbrahimKingx)
    Anyone who done plate tectonics essay pleaseee pm meeeeee
    Hey, I did the plate tectonics essay and i'm really worried about it :/ What sort of stuff did you write about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flower124)
    Hey, I did the plate tectonics essay and i'm really worried about it :/ What sort of stuff did you write about?
    Ill pm you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kabutsu12)
    Surely you couldn't reject the null hypothesis from the MWU? One of the data sets had a very low confidence value.
    I might be wrong here, but the way I understand MWU is that if the critical value is higher then the lowest calculated value, then you reject the null hypothesis. Don't take me on that one, though!

ReputationRep:
    I think as everyone found the MWU question difficult and confusing the grade boundaries will be altered - It is all comparative to what everyone else did - so if everyone found it difficult it's more than likely it won't effect you as much as you think? so I wouldn't worry too much, it shouldn't jeopardise your marks at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kabutsu12)
    That was the critical value

Basically, because one value was either side of the critical value you had to reject the null. From recollection, you accept the null if both are lower or something

ReputationRep:
    I feel so left out of this MWU thing haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    The principle of what you say is correct, but what you say about geography and skills is a load of crap.

It doesn't actually come under Unit 4A. It actually comes under skills checklist, which means it can come up in any unit of A2, read the specification (3.6), it is very clear. It states A2 not specifically 4A, very clever writing in the specification.

I went in to AQA after the exam was sat and got to read through the paper, was hard paper in parts, but it was all within the specification and within what you needed to know for unit 3.
    This was exactly my point. The exam board wouldn't ask the question if you weren't supposed to know the stuff xD

ReputationRep:
    I have just realised some of my spelling was a bit off fml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    A2 Skills is not on the specification for Unit 3, and I dont know what other subjects you do but in all of my other subjects - Maths for example, they cant ask you C4 questions in C3 as C4 is the fourth unit, meaning you learn it last, so it'd be unfair to be tested on something before you've learnt it. The fact that its Geog4a that MWU comes from it would make sense that you aren't expected to know unit 4 in unit 3, the same way at AS you're expected to know unit 1 to answer some questions in unit 2, it doesn't work the other way round.
    Look, at the end of the day the exam board would not have put the question on there if it wasn't on the syllabus. You don't see anybody else complaining about the question.
    Unit 3 does also require you to be synoptic (this is in the mark scheme).
    And geography is a different subject to maths or chemistry therefore ofc they aren't going to work in the same way.
    The exams at A2, as I said previously, can also be sat in any order. There isn't enough time to be taught all of unit 3 in time to sit the exam in January, however there is time to do unit 4A then. So if you don't do unit 4a in January, then you do it in June when you sit unit 3 and unit 4a. Therefore, you will have done the necessary skills either already (in January) or will have learnt them at the same time (if you do both papers in June), so it's not like you won't have the knowledge.
    This was the same at AS, where you got given skills based questions on the large content based exam also that we're similar skills to what you got on the AS skills paper.

ReputationRep:
    Roughly how much do you guys think i would get in the tectonics essay?..
    i wrote about: physical factors (type of plate boundary, type of volcano, type of eruption and type of lava) and non-physical (location of volcano i.e. densely or sparsely populated area, prediction, preparation and planning, MEDCs and LEDCs) also included around 4/5 examples/case studies).

thank you in advance..just stressed because i ran out of time so i didn't finish the 8 and 10 markers on world cities

ReputationRep:
    What case study did people use for the ecosystems 40 mark essay?

ReputationRep:
    I got confused on what case study to use, it said on a local scale so i presumed that meant how it would affect the local ecosystem and therefore i thought you could have used serengeti, but i have a bad feeling ive done it wrong :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gulshie)
    i wrote about: physical factors (type of plate boundary, type of volcano, type of eruption and type of lava) and non-physical (location of volcano i.e. densely or sparsely populated area, prediction, preparation and planning, MEDCs and LEDCs) also included around 4/5 examples/case studies).

thank you in advance..just stressed because i ran out of time so i didn't finish the 8 and 10 markers on world cities
    really well by the sounds of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophster101)
    Look, at the end of the day the exam board would not have put the question on there if it wasn't on the syllabus. You don't see anybody else complaining about the question.
    Unit 3 does also require you to be synoptic (this is in the mark scheme).
    And geography is a different subject to maths or chemistry therefore ofc they aren't going to work in the same way.
    The exams at A2, as I said previously, can also be sat in any order. There isn't enough time to be taught all of unit 3 in time to sit the exam in January, however there is time to do unit 4A then. So if you don't do unit 4a in January, then you do it in June when you sit unit 3 and unit 4a. Therefore, you will have done the necessary skills either already (in January) or will have learnt them at the same time (if you do both papers in June), so it's not like you won't have the knowledge.
    This was the same at AS, where you got given skills based questions on the large content based exam also that we're similar skills to what you got on the AS skills paper.
    But if you did 4B you are still at a slight disadvantage as the MWU is explicitly covered in 4A and not in 4B. I agree that it is your responsibility to look at the specification, but it does seem rather harsh to those who never studied 4A to put a question in on it, particularly as it's only included in a very small part of the spec at the very bottom of a page!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophster101)
    I see a lot of complaints, people complained in my school and it's the most complained about question in this thread. I found it easy ( I do 4a) but spare a thought for those who dont

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychstudent95)
    I only wrote about railways (I ran out of time for the other two ) but I did it in quite a bit of detail? Do you think that I will loose many marks?
    I'm sure you will be fine but, to be fair, you probably couldn't get full marks without mentioning roads since the question was only "routeways"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary)
    after the exam i had a look at canals in the text book and there was like 1 sentance on it =/
    Yeah they are basically long ponds!

ReputationRep:
    can anyone who did the 40 mark ecosystem question PM me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gulshie)

As long as you wrote it well with few mistakes and linked to question i would guess you'd be in the low 30s/very good mark

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.