The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3300
Original post by clareramos
Look at page 16 (3.6) of the specification. Is something I've heard a lot over the years.

I have to ask, the essay question for ecosystems was something along the lines of 'discuss the importance of human factors on ecosystems on a local scale'. Firstly I talked about all the urban ecosystems, oxford ragwort etc. but, in a moment of panic, with 30 minutes to go, I thought I was discussing the wrong content, got really depressed and so my final 2 case studies are so bad they may aswell not be in the essay. How badly will this effect my mark?
Reply 3301
Original post by charlie4590
My handwriting was terrible, looked like a pen-war bomb site.

At least you didn't start writing from right to left across the A4 page with writing similar to Arabic
Original post by Gulshie
Roughly how much do you guys think i would get in the tectonics essay?..
i wrote about: physical factors (type of plate boundary, type of volcano, type of eruption and type of lava) and non-physical (location of volcano i.e. densely or sparsely populated area, prediction, preparation and planning, MEDCs and LEDCs) also included around 4/5 examples/case studies).

thank you in advance..just stressed because i ran out of time so i didn't finish the 8 and 10 markers on world cities :frown:

This sounds like a really really good answer :smile: I did the tectonics essay too and I only wrote about human factors (the location of the volcano and about preparation and planning in MEDC/LEDCs with 2 case studies) didn't even write anything about any psyichal factors so yeah I'm sure you'll have done great :smile:
Original post by joereed
I have to ask, the essay question for ecosystems was something along the lines of 'discuss the importance of human factors on ecosystems on a local scale'. Firstly I talked about all the urban ecosystems, oxford ragwort etc. but, in a moment of panic, with 30 minutes to go, I thought I was discussing the wrong content, got really depressed and so my final 2 case studies are so bad they may aswell not be in the essay. How badly will this effect my mark?

I'm not an examiner or anything and I didn't do the ecosystems essay, but they have to mark positively, so they don't mark you down for anything that's wrong, which should mean that even if the last two case studies didn't get any marks, they won't loose any either, so all they did was waste time at the worst. And there's probably something mark-worthy in them, so I don't think it's worth worrying about :smile:
Hi guys, for the tectonic 10 marker "with example, give ways of how earthquakes can be managed" - i put kobe and gave what they did etc, but also looked at sichuan and said actually, another way they can be managed is BADLY and gave examples to schools which had been built badly to pocket leftover money, do you think giving bad reasons was relevant?
Reply 3305
Original post by psychstudent95
I'm not an examiner or anything and I didn't do the ecosystems essay, but they have to mark positively, so they don't mark you down for anything that's wrong, which should mean that even if the last two case studies didn't get any marks, they won't loose any either, so all they did was waste time at the worst. And there's probably something mark-worthy in them, so I don't think it's worth worrying about :smile:

It makes me feel a bit better, but I knew a fair bit about those case studies, but where I wasn't sure what I was doing, I spent too long pondering what to do and didn't actually write much about them. The mrking they use includes case studies, and mine is likely to be a L1/L2.
Original post by AydenHassan
Essentially, I picked the 40 marker on ecosystems in a moment of madness. At the beginning of the exam I thought it was the best one for me to answer, but when it came to actually writing it, I started to panic because I was unsure whether I understood the question and had enough to write about (which I didn't).
The 40 marker was somewhere along the lines of;

'Discuss how human influence can impact an ecosystem on a local scale.'

I wrote about:
- Pollution and its effects of the local biodiversity leading to the abundance of Lecandora Lichen
- The introduction of Spanish bluebells which are narrowing the biodiversity by out competing and mixing with our native species
- Agriculture leading to the destruction of our native temperate deciduous woodland and the reduction of biodiversity
- Heather Moorland replacing the deforested native woodlands
- How a dam would change areas up stream into a hydrosere ( I was clutching at straws)
- Mowing lawns etc

I threw in loads of references to plagioclimax etc to try fill it up, but I panicked and had a complete mind blank.
I am majorly freaking out and have been incredibly stressed since the exam. Can you put me out of my misery and say whether I was along the right lines or not?
I am 56 UMS away from my entry grade for university and I think this exam will have ruined my chances..

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, and wrote the exact same content since I thought "local scale" was referring to the UK. I take it you did the Liverpool Merseyside forest & Yorkshire moor studies?

I also wrote about the impacts of roads and railways on ecosystems- wildlife corridors, waterplants from drainage on the train tracks etc. I'm so scared. :frown:
Reply 3307
Original post by GracefulDanny
I'm in exactly the same situation as you, and wrote the exact same content since I thought "local scale" was referring to the UK. I take it you did the Liverpool Merseyside forest & Yorkshire moor studies?

I also wrote about the impacts of roads and railways on ecosystems- wildlife corridors, waterplants from drainage on the train tracks etc. I'm so scared. :frown:

The question seems to have caused a lot of confusion. At first glance it seems easy but you can easily fall into the trap of discussing content too broad i.e not local. I think, depending on what you've written, most UK content should be ok.
Original post by GracefulDanny

I mostly used scenario's as case studies, area's of heather moorland etc. In my panic I forgot to make it too specific.. I mentioned Danish Scurvy Grass moving along road networks and wildlife corridors.. argh.. I've emailed my teacher so I'll report back once I get some feedback!!
For the tectonics essay you could have mentioned:

Human factors - Distance to population, capacity to cope (ability to manage), amount of defences / prediction / preparation (ISN'T a factor between LEDCS/MEDCS)

Physical Factors - VEI Eruption scale, type of hazards (pyroclastic flows), the time of day it occured, the season it occured (snow melt causes Lahars, and response is ALWAYS better in summer (with the heat)), amount of warning signs, geography of the land, (did the flows channel themselves into the town?), evacuation routes, iceland sea example would be nice here..

Include as many case studies as possible, and made a opinion of whether human / physical are more important when it comes to the impact, (physical obviously). Human capacity to cope and preparation can never truly be the deciding factor when it comes to impacts, the physical factors are far more important.

Something along those lines would get you 30+
Original post by charlie4590
Hi guys, for the tectonic 10 marker "with example, give ways of how earthquakes can be managed" - i put kobe and gave what they did etc, but also looked at sichuan and said actually, another way they can be managed is BADLY and gave examples to schools which had been built badly to pocket leftover money, do you think giving bad reasons was relevant?

I would say it's relevant as you are comparing the different ways they are managed. MEDC's tend to manage better than LEDC's.
Original post by acedlol
For the tectonics essay you could have mentioned:

Human factors - Distance to population, capacity to cope (ability to manage), amount of defences / prediction / preparation (ISN'T a factor between LEDCS/MEDCS)

Physical Factors - VEI Eruption scale, type of hazards (pyroclastic flows), the time of day it occured, the season it occured (snow melt causes Lahars, and response is ALWAYS better in summer (with the heat)), amount of warning signs, geography of the land, (did the flows channel themselves into the town?), evacuation routes, iceland sea example would be nice here..

Include as many case studies as possible, and made a opinion of whether human / physical are more important when it comes to the impact, (physical obviously). Human capacity to cope and preparation can never truly be the deciding factor when it comes to impacts, the physical factors are far more important.

Something along those lines would get you 30+
Great. I didn't write anything about physical factors at all... ooops. What do you mean by "isn't a factor"
Original post by flower124
Great. I didn't write anything about physical factors at all... ooops. What do you mean by "isn't a factor"

me neither :frown: i just wrote about the development of the area, the timing, the population and then about the preparation :frown:
Original post by study ninja
me neither :frown: i just wrote about the development of the area, the timing, the population and then about the preparation :frown:
same! I wrote about how preparation varied in MEDC and LEDC case studies and then about the location in that it would be hard to get aid to remote locations eg. Montserrat in the carribbean! for some reason I didn't think physical factors applied to the question but now people are saying they included them.... Ah well
is anyone doing unit 4B and if so how are they revising for it?
Need help with 4a helppppppp
Original post by abismall
Also anyone who did the structured questions for conflict, what did you put for outline the causes of poverty and evaluate how poverty is being globally addressed? That was genuinely the only section of conflict that I didn't revise in detail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! Someone else who did conflict short questions! We've never been taught it, so I had to make it up - came up with two short term causes (war and famine) and two long term causes (corruption and lack of education), for the 10 marker, I talked about three of the UN development goals and PATH - but I only had 15 minutes for those two questions as I did conflicts last and spent too long on my techtonics essay :L
Reply 3317
Original post by psychstudent95

hey sorry i have a quick question - the globalisation question was to do with LDCs and how they can't cope with problems on their own (command word was 'dicuss') - i talked about Aid but apprently you were supposed to talking about both trade and aid - what mark will this limit me to? (i included some out of spec. knowledge in case that helps). Thank you :smile:
Hi again guys
THOSE WHO DID THE WEATHER CLIMATE CHANGE ESSAY - how did you structure yours? I'll give the basic structure of mine, can you say what you think please?

-Introduction
-Debates on natural climate change - holocene maximum and little ice age to debate "we are what is wrong"
-Then looked at Ice core analysis,co2 emmisions, UHI on a small scale which can become large scale, industrialisation and USA giving 22% of the world emmisions but having only 8%population to emphasize emmisions, deforestation to agree with Gore.
-Then looked at natural causes i.e. milankovitch circles of orbital shape changing and volcano's, astroids which can reduce global temperature to question gore
-I disagreed that it would be just natural causes because sea level rise has accelerated recently with 11 of the 12 warmest years from 1995-2006 to agree with Gore.
-Then looked at what we're doing to tackle it i.e. kyoto and the durban summit 2011, but criticised these as Kyoto didnt include China, and durban doesn't start til 2020 to say we're doing something, but further agree'd with gore that we need to do more as these aren't good enough
-Concluded strongly agreeing summarising what I had said and gave my own personal opinion.

Thanks! I think thats the jist of it aha, I managed to write four and a half pages which I was really shocked about, and have seen some people on here wrote 5+!
Original post by V95
hey sorry i have a quick question - the globalisation question was to do with LDCs and how they can't cope with problems on their own (command word was 'dicuss') - i talked about Aid but apprently you were supposed to talking about both trade and aid - what mark will this limit me to? (i included some out of spec. knowledge in case that helps). Thank you :smile:

I'm assuming that you're talking about the essay? (If not, then I panic). I don't know, I'm afraid, I did the world cities essay. Sorry to not be of much help... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending