The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katie_123456
Hi :smile:Just found this thread and it seems pretty useful :smile: does anyone understand what 'variation in the type and frequency of volcanic activity in relation to types of plate margin' is on about? (PLATE TECTONICS, vulcanicity) I'm fine with the types of lava as its pretty well covered in my notes and in textbooks but can't seem to find much on plate margins regarding type and freq of volcanoes! thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Hello :smile: the types of volcanoes are linked to the types of lava and plate margins. For example, at a constructive plate boundary, shield volcanoes are common such as Surtsey in Iceland because basaltic lava is common at this boundary. This lava is runny and less explosive so the lava spreads out more, hence why the volcano has gently sloping slides because the lava doesn't build up as much.
This is opposite to destructive plate boundaries which have andesitic and rhyolitic lava. This lava is more explosive and more viscous so builds up more, forming composite volcanoes with steep sides and layers of ash, such as Mt St Helen's before it erupted to form a caldera volcano.

As for the frequency, I'm not too sure what its asking for, but maybe just simply whether its an active or dormant volcano. if its active then people are likely to be more prepared for an eruption.

Hope this helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katie_123456
Hi :smile:Just found this thread and it seems pretty useful :smile: does anyone understand what 'variation in the type and frequency of volcanic activity in relation to types of plate margin' is on about? (PLATE TECTONICS, vulcanicity) I'm fine with the types of lava as its pretty well covered in my notes and in textbooks but can't seem to find much on plate margins regarding type and freq of volcanoes! thanks in advance for any help :smile:

divide it up: constructive and destructive!

constructive: shield volcano/lava plateau (Icelandic and Hawaiian in nature) basaltic lava, low in silica, low viscosity, gas escapes easily therefore it is less volatile and explosive etc (case study, isle of Scurtsy on the MAR) frequency: continuous or regular etc

destructive - composite/dome/caldera, andesitic/rhyolitic, (pelean, plinean in nature), high viscosity, high in silica, tephra ash gas pyroclastic flow, gas escapes less easily - more explosive...(case study - Popocatepetl recent volcanic activity) frequency: dormant and irregular etc

sorry its like bullet pointed :P
Struggling on the Conflicts essay. Any idea on whats going to come up throughout the paper? I am doing Tectonics, World Cities & Conflicts
The tectonics unit is sooo much bigger than World Cities and Development units I think, anyone else agree?
Original post by phillips 1878
Struggling on the Conflicts essay. Any idea on whats going to come up throughout the paper? I am doing Tectonics, World Cities & Conflicts

Our teacher was talking about conflict this morning and because all the essays have come up now it could be anything. International conflict is the only one which has not come up directly, but I don't think we should rely on that. :smile:
GUYS: Can someone please help with this 40 mark question. I am really struggling with what to do.

Qs- Conservation and explotiation are incompatible goals in the management of fragile environments. With reference to expamples, discuss the extent to which you agree with this statement.

Has anyone done this question?

An answer or plan on how to complete this question would be great.
Thanks,
Jacob
Bump
Reply 447
could someone please explain the 'solar constant'??? ta
Forgive me if this has been asked, but has anyone got any predictions for the plate tectonics 40 mark question?
Most likely will doing the essay on this module!

Thanks
Original post by Jade10128
Is anyone else finding World Cities a complete bore to revise...it also seems the smallest of the topics I'm studying
could someone please clarify paleomagnetism? - its a change in the earth's magnetic field every hundred thousand years...?

Also, anyone whos doing weather and the monsoon climate could they elaborate on the role of the inter-tropical convergence zone for creating the seasons etc?

My grasp on paleomagnetism:

The Earth's magnetic field changes polarity approximately every 10,000 years, and from this we can SUGGEST (but not prove) that continental drift/sea floor spreading is occurring. This is through rock alignment on ocean beds; when sediment is taken up through a constructive plate margin erupting, it is distributed either side. As the constructive plate margin continues to diverge, we can see a series of linear rocks facing in alternating magnetic north, and south directions. This therefore indicates that the sea floor has been spreading, and that (corresponding to the change in polarity) continental drift has been happening over significant amount of time! This therefore supports Alfred Wegeners original theory in 1912:biggrin:

Prime example of this is at the Mid-Atlantic ridge, where this was observed off the east coast of America.

I link ya to this picture if it helps:
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/earthscienceandengineering/local/forstudents/courses/geoscience/year3/earthsciencesynthesis/coursework/2008/VincentChan/images/constructive_plate.gif

Hope that helps
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 450
Original post by HenryLinguistic
My grasp on paleomagnetism:

The Earth's magnetic field changes polarity approximately every 10,000 years, and from this we can SUGGEST (but not prove) that continental drift/sea floor spreading is occurring. This is through rock alignment on ocean beds; when sediment is taken up through a constructive plate margin erupting, it is distributed either side. As the constructive plate margin continues to diverge, we can see a series of linear rocks facing in alternating magnetic north, and south directions. This therefore indicates that the sea floor has been spreading, and that (corresponding to the change in polarity) continental drift has been happening over significant amount of time! This therefore supports Alfred Wegeners original theory in 1912:biggrin:

Prime example of this is at the Mid-Atlantic ridge, where this was observed off the east coast of America.

I link ya to this picture if it helps:
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/earthscienceandengineering/local/forstudents/courses/geoscience/year3/earthsciencesynthesis/coursework/2008/VincentChan/images/constructive_plate.gif

Hope that helps

Thanks, very useful!
And I agree with your comment on tectonics essay; not many predictions so far!
Reply 451
Ok if anyone could help with this I'd be really grateful:
Topics: Globalisation, Plate tectonics and Ecosystems

1. I'm worried about the plate tectonics 40 marker so far they have been theory relating to something and impacts relating to specific factors (eg development, preparedness etc) which I'm ok on - does anyone have examples of 'curve ball questions' such as those mentioned - positive impacts and associated land forms AND what you would write for them and these ones.

2. Economic v environmental sustainability - sustainable tourism myth or reality? - Trade v aid
I have no idea hoe to write these answers it often just says 'discuss' how and what would you write I have no clue where to start and how many examples e.g small schemes or global etc.

3.Would the 'countries at low levels of development section' section pretty much only be characteristics questions asked etc I struggle with that.

4. Tropical biome and fragile environments i'm doing Serengeti grasslands and for the fragile environments section contrasting with the equatorial rain forest biome. The development, potential for sustainability and biodiversity goes straight over my head, I don't have many examples at all on potential biodiversity for the Serengeti but plenty of human impacts would I include the human impacts as part of a sustainability answer :/ :/

sorry this is so long if someone could help me just one thing I'd be grateful, my teachers are ok but just kind of say whats in the specification not much use when you have to write a 10 mark answer....
Original post by gracecooke55
Yes cities is sooo boring!! Yeah yhats what paelomagnetism is, so it causes magnetic minerals in lava to 'align' to it.

As for the itcz and monsoon, in the summer it is warm and dry because the high pressure over the land and low pressure over the sea. Wind blows from high p to low p. This also affects how much moisture is collected by the air, condensed etc. In winter its cooler and wet necause the hp is over sea and the lp is over land :smile:
I revised that on Thursday, I'm not just a mega genius :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, you have got a bit confused. think of it of being the opposite so in the summer it brings warm wet weather and in the winter it brings cool dry weather.

The dry season is the winter not the summer as the sun pulls the ITCZ to the north towards the Tropic of Cancer and visa versa.

And regarding wind when the ITCZ is over the land wind is blow in from sea which brings warm air as it travels across and when the band is over the ocean it brings cool air as it travels over land because of the differences of insulation warming of land to sea.

Hope this helps a bit more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 453
Has anyone got a link for the Jan 2013 paper and mark scheme? Thanks
Original post by mapes345

you need to get it off your teacher as it is a secured doc :smile: your teacher will have it anyway!
Original post by JenniS
could someone please explain the 'solar constant'??? ta

its just the rate at which solar radiation reaches earth. also, due to the eccentric orbit of the earth, ie more elliptical than circular, it varies with different times of the year. it affects long term climate rather than short term weather processes.
i think.. it doesnt really make it clear in the books what it is.
I'm not sure if this is just me or whether I'm in the wrong... However would others agree that setting a mock exam this close the real exam is like playing with fire? Our teacher said we had a mock exam and stated it will resemble the real one. I assumed (because Iv prepared to do the 40 marker on tectonics) that we could choose like in the exam... However the teacher set us the essay on just ecosystems... Now because i struggled because I hadn't planned going over mark schemes and such for ecosystems, my confidence going into the real exam has deteriorated.

Is it my own fault for not preparing for all 3 possible topics for the essay or has everyone planned on the topic they are going to answer the 40 mark essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 457
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
I'm not sure if this is just me or whether I'm in the wrong... However would others agree that setting a mock exam this close the real exam is like playing with fire? Our teacher said we had a mock exam and stated it will resemble the real one. I assumed (because Iv prepared to do the 40 marker on tectonics) that we could choose like in the exam... However the teacher set us the essay on just ecosystems... Now because i struggled because I hadn't planned going over mark schemes and such for ecosystems, my confidence going into the real exam has deteriorated.

Is it my own fault for not preparing for all 3 possible topics for the essay or has everyone planned on the topic they are going to answer the 40 mark essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put it this way, if the real exam had a horrible tectonics essay and an ecosystems essay that you thought was good, which would you choose? I think its a good idea to have mock exams this close, I've recently done one, although it definitely should have been in the exam format, our teacher literally gave us a past paper. You probably should have approached it like a normal exam.
Reply 458
Original post by mapes345

have a quick google of it and you will find it. I'm not going to put it up as its copyright, but some teacher has been brave enough to put it up, I found in one google search!
Reply 459
Original post by joereed
have a quick google of it and you will find it. I'm not going to put it up as its copyright, but some teacher has been brave enough to put it up, I found in one google search!

I've literally went through the whole of google and can't find it lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending