Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Have decided to use Manchester for my reurbanisation case study

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how the 40 marker is marked?

Like how many marks for knowledge can you get? And how many marks for evaluation can you get? Etc....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right, here's how my case studies are for the regeneration/reurbanisation following last nights discussion

Regeneration
    - Olympic Park (Tower Hamlets, London) [sports led, partnership led]
    - Cabots Circus Shopping Centre (Bristol) [retail led]
    - Docklands (London) [property led]

Reurbanisation
    - Phnom Penh (Cambodia) [LEDC]
    - Olympic Park (Tower Hamlets, London) [MEDC]

How does that sound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Wise Ninja)
    Right, here's how my case studies are for the regeneration/reurbanisation following last nights discussion

Regeneration
    - Olympic Park (Tower Hamlets, London) [sports led, partnership led]
    - Cabots Circus Shopping Centre (Bristol) [retail led]
    - Docklands (London) [property led]

Reurbanisation
    - Phnom Penh (Cambodia) [LEDC]
    - Olympic Park (Tower Hamlets, London) [MEDC]

How does that sound?
    Sounds good . Although I'm not going to bother with an LEDC for any of the urbanisation case studies.

My reurb will be Manchester, my development of urban centres is also manchester and my out of town retailing centre is the Trafford Centre in manchester.

Hopefully all three questions don't come up in the world cities questions :P. It does allow me to learn less though

If possible (havent done it yet), I also plan for the property led regeneration scheme to be based in manchester (possibly hulme)

P.s. From Warwick, not Manchester :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade10128)
    Yeah same, I doubt seismicitity will come up alone. Reckon it'll either be relating volcanicity/plate theory.
    There is limited things they can ask us for tectonics - yet they word the questions so awkwardly sometimes its difficult to understand what they are actually asking for. Damn AQA.
    Haha yes! It may be on planning and management or something, or perhaps human/physical related question? D: we shall see! what vulcanicity case studies do you have? I have Montserrat (LIC) and Eyjafjallajokull (HIC) :x

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing this exam, I'm doing world cities, plate tectonics and weather and climate! I'm fine with all the theory bits but I just CAN'T learn the case studies! Is anyone else doing them and has anyone any ideas on how to get all the stats and stuff to stick??? Got 2 to do for volcanoes (mt st Helens and montserrat), 2 for earthquakes (Kashmir and L'Aquila), 2 for tropical revolving storms (cyclone nargis and hurricane Katrina) 2 more for world cities - Mumbai for urbanisation, sorbitol in London for suburbanisation and god knows how many others!!! I'm finding nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remember exact figures for every single one!! Does anyone have any ideas?? Thank you so much, a stressed geographer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flower124)
    Hey, I'm doing this exam, I'm doing world cities, plate tectonics and weather and climate! I'm fine with all the theory bits but I just CAN'T learn the case studies! Is anyone else doing them and has anyone any ideas on how to get all the stats and stuff to stick??? Got 2 to do for volcanoes (mt st Helens and montserrat), 2 for earthquakes (Kashmir and L'Aquila), 2 for tropical revolving storms (cyclone nargis and hurricane Katrina) 2 more for world cities - Mumbai for urbanisation, sorbitol in London for suburbanisation and god knows how many others!!! I'm finding nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remember exact figures for every single one!! Does anyone have any ideas?? Thank you so much, a stressed geographer!
    Try and find some YouTube videos on them

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! There's just so so much to learn....and case studies are so boring, I like the technical stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! There's just so so much to learn....and case studies are so boring, I like the technical stuff!
    I'm starting to worry! I had planned to learn the whole content within the 2 days before my exam as my retained knowledge is quite good, but there seems a lot! On the converse, I find learning case studies quite easy.

E.g. if you are learning about mt st helens, look on google earth at it, look at some photos and make sure all the content is located. That way you won't get it muddled up as easily

ReputationRep:
    Also remember that you can't use Mt. St. Helens as a primary case study for an essay question as it is not within the last 30 years! :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Really?? Argh! It's in the revision guide?! I'm the same, I thought case studies would be really easy to learn and just a case of cramming a couple days before, now I've found that's not the case!

ReputationRep:
    Really?? Argh! It's in the revision guide?! I'm the same, I thought case studies would be really easy to learn and just a case of cramming a couple days before, now I've found that's not the case!
    Yeah, it's really annoying because it only passed the 30 year mark 3 years ago and it's such a good case study to use with a wealth of information!

I am yet to plan out my case studies for the tectonics unit, but would anyone mind sharing what their main case study for a volcanic eruption in a MEDC is?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's really annoying because it only passed the 30 year mark 3 years ago and it's such a good case study to use with a wealth of information!

I am yet to plan out my case studies for the tectonics unit, but would anyone mind sharing what their main case study for a volcanic eruption in a MEDC is?
    There really aren't many, but if you do some digging this one is decent

MEDC 1991 Eruption

ReputationRep:
    I just looked at the specification and it says "ideally" within the next 30 years for plate tectonics case studies, whereas for tropical revolving storms it just says "within the last 30 years"...so I might just get away with it..... How are you guys getting on with case studies? Has anyone memorised all of them yet?? :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Axion!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Axion!
    No worries

Flower - wouldn't risk it really, my teacher said the same as Ninja's (i.e. that Mt St Helens is outdated and that lots of markers are familiar with it)

Good luck anyhow :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryLinguistic)
    Haha yes! It may be on planning and management or something, or perhaps human/physical related question? D: we shall see! what vulcanicity case studies do you have? I have Montserrat (LIC) and Eyjafjallajokull (HIC) :x
    My main contrasting ones are Etna and Montserrat. But I'm trying to get overview of others such as Krakatoa and Mnt Pinatubo to relate to the differing types of volcano

Way too many case studies I need to learn I can't remember it all..cause in reality you need more than two contrasting I feel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade10128)
    My main contrasting ones are Etna and Montserrat. But I'm trying to get overview of others such as Krakatoa and Mnt Pinatubo to relate to the differing types of volcano

Way too many case studies I need to learn I can't remember it all..cause in reality you need more than two contrasting I feel
    If you know you case studies in-depth then 2 are enough for a forty marker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    If you know you case studies in-depth then 2 are enough for a forty marker?
    the spec says two contrasting case studies for both earthquakes and volcanoes! plus everyone has tsunami ones...it is enough

ReputationRep:
    my 2 volcano case studies are mt etna, sicily and chaiten, chile which both seem to have a lot of information on the internet so seem like good ones to learn

Also, when people are writing about impacts, do you think it is better to split them into short-term and long-term or social, environmental, economic etc? I never know which is best!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.