The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by clareramos
an A should be very doable with that AS, just revise and use tricks to remember things, such as 7 key things.

thank you! i hope so!!
Reply 81
When should I start doing past papers??

Posted from TSR Mobile
After a total disaster with Geo 4B in Jan, feeling so down now about this exam.
Not sure if we need to know a case study for tsunami's. I know the characteristics of them etc, but as for a case study it's not required in the spec.
Reply 84
Original post by Gary
Do we need to do know a tsunami case study for plate tectonics? according to the spec we don't need to?

Although it doesn't specify one it hasn't come up in the short answer yet and if you planning on doing an essay on PT they are very useful as it's not just the typical 'earthquake'.

I would hiiiighly recommend it especially given the great examples in recent years - Indian ocean common but you don't lose marks for putting it in! and Japan 2011 are good contrasting examples.
Reply 85
Original post by MrAlex95
Tsunami's hasn't come up before so that could appear, also we have been told to do the Essay first as it has the most marks and probs the difference between the grades regarding marks.
Im thinking of doing my essay question for the exam on Plate tectonics too but havent decided. :smile:

Ok thanks, I've got 2 case studies for tsunamis and I'll try orders of writing the essay :smile:
Reply 86
Climate is the worst topic I've ever had to do in Geography! So hard.
I don't like unit 3, but tips I've found when teaching it, and knowing several people involved in it, is link the topic you are doing within the topic, and link it with other parts of geography, as you can use other parts of geography to back it up as long as you can show a valid link. Also link to modern and developing areas of geography, GIS is the main one, can link to most things, and also applied geography, however wouldn't expect a normal a level student to know about applied geography.

What is applied geography then?

is tsunami related to plate tectonics ... yes, but don't do boxing day one. soooo common.

Would the 2011 Japanese Tsunami be better then?

is tsunami related to plate tectonics ... yes, but don't do boxing day one. soooo common.
Original post by SamEastie
Climate is the worst topic I've ever had to do in Geography! So hard.

Agreed! I hate weather and climate!!
Original post by Natalie21

Would the 2011 Japanese Tsunami be better then?

Yes by far, although can see that one starting to become more common, but better than boxing day one by far.

What is applied geography then?

There is a debate on this.

A.J. Herbertson (1899) said that applied geography was a specific way of looking at geography and this was a specific view of geography.

Palm & Brazel (1992) who said that applied geography uses existing geographical theories or explanations to solve specific problems.

If you read (http://geography.fullerton.edu/550/applied%20geography.pdf) this is now the generally accepted view of what applied geography is.
"Applied geography is concerned with the application of geographical knowledge and skills to the resolution of real-world social, economic and environmental problems"
Does anyone have the GEOG 3 paper from January 2013? My teachers don't have it as no one from our school did that exam :frown:
you aren't allowed to share the paper. Under AQA rules. it is only allowed for teaching purposes. If you share it AQA can give you 0 in the exam, you seem fairly identifiable from your name on here and AQA can investigate who you are, and you can get 0, or get a cap on the marks you get.
Shouldn't her teachers be able to get it from the aqa website if they sign in??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shouldn't her teachers be able to get it from the aqa website if they sign in??

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah. If they are a registered centre there will be someone with details who can sign in.
you aren't allowed to share the paper. Under AQA rules. it is only allowed for teaching purposes. If you share it AQA can give you 0 in the exam, you seem fairly identifiable from your name on here and AQA can investigate who you are, and you can get 0, or get a cap on the marks you get.

well i wont be doing that for sure then - Teachers can get it online then - thanks for the heads up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Does anyone have some plate tectonics 40 markers that aren't the past paper ones? Since I can't think of a possible topic they haven't covered any others would be helpful practice :smile:
Original post by Daniel George
well i wont be doing that for sure then - Teachers can get it online then - thanks for the heads up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome a lot of people don't like it when I say that, but I've seen it happen and had to put it in the system myself, so I know it does occur. When it goes on the AQA website, you can share it all you want, but whilst it is protected and isn't or hasn't ever been on the public part of the AQA or any exam board, so not requiring secure login, then I wouldn't. No point risking it.
Reply 97
Idea guys: When you're doing revision and you come across some topic you are stuck on, ask the questions here, then let people try and answer them. That way it helps you as you get to hear it from another source and it helps the person answering as it is a good test.
Original post by Daniel George
I have the paper, I will try and scan it in for you - teacher gave it to us the other week!

Could you do the same for me, for unit 1,2,3 and 4 if that is possible?
Original post by newgu
Idea guys: When you're doing revision and you come across some topic you are stuck on, ask the questions here, then let people try and answer them. That way it helps you as you get to hear it from another source and it helps the person answering as it is a good test.

yes and no, as some people will just end up sitting and here and going through all the threads that way and not actually doing anything for themselves. For people actually willing to do work though is good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending