The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by Daniel George
structured, essay, most difficult structured :smile:

seriously struggling with info! The problem is that I can write an essay very well (30+) with notes. take them away and waffling for me is inevitable :tongue:
Reply 1241
You all doing the essay question last? or first?
I'm doing the essay first, but could someone please explain to me what they mean when they ask 'to what extent?' I get a little confused with what they want from it.
Original post by St. Brynjar
Yes, Geography at Cambridge should I be so lucky as to get an A*. OCR Geology for me :smile:

Ahh wow, congrats:smile: *fingers crossed?* I'm a WJECer, looking at some of your papers I wish I wasn't though, do you just do the internal assessment, climate cange/resources/fossils papers in A2?
Original post by Ellie_May :)
I'm doing the essay first, but could someone please explain to me what they mean when they ask 'to what extent?' I get a little confused with what they want from it.

I think they generally mean, to what degree, how much ...
ie 'to what extent can earthquakes be predicted' - there are certain techniques for identifying that an earthquake is going to happen, but as it cannot be pin-pointed to an exact time/location they cannot be predicted to a great extent :biggrin:
Oh and I've got some more resources for Tectonic Hazards!
My teachers found this powerpoint, designed for the AQA course
http://www.msf.org.uk/teaching-resources-level-geography
To download, click the link on the page
:biggrin:
Original post by rosiesaurus
I think they generally mean, to what degree, how much ...
ie 'to what extent can earthquakes be predicted' - there are certain techniques for identifying that an earthquake is going to happen, but as it cannot be pin-pointed to an exact time/location they cannot be predicted to a great extent :biggrin:

Ahhh ok thanks a lot for this! I will probably write 'how much' above the word 'extent' in my exam to make it easier for me to understand. The wording of the questions confuses me so much!
Reply 1247
Ahhh ok thanks a lot for this! I will probably write 'how much' above the word 'extent' in my exam to make it easier for me to understand. The wording of the questions confuses me so much!

Make sure to express your own opinion :smile:
Reply 1248
How is everyone learning their statistics for their case studies?
Original post by Axion
Make sure to express your own opinion :smile:

Will do :smile: Just hoping I find it easier to form an argument than I do in English Lit.
Original post by Gary
Yeh they are! They are areas where taxes are lowered and planning restrictions are relaxed to encourage businesses to locate.
I'm using the London Docklands :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher is an examiner and she went on a course and thy said not to use the docklands as it is a group of schemes not a specific partnership. She said answers were given credit but only able to access level 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1251
Will do :smile: Just hoping I find it easier to form an argument than I do in English Lit.

any tips on how to remember 200 statistics? Trying to learn 10 per case study but failing miserably
Reply 1252
does anyone reckon vulcanicity may come up as part of the structured questions? it came up in June12 and Jan13 so i hope not!
Original post by JenniS
Could someone possibly right out their 'Formation of a Depression'? I'm not happy with what I've got :smile:

Hi Jenni, this is how I would write the sequence for a depression including nature (formation) and origin (weather).

A depression is a moving cell of low pressure that moves over an area. They are formed when a tropical maritime air mass meets with a polar maritime air mass. They meet at a stationary front where they do not move however an instability occurs between them. At the warm front sky's are clear with stratus clouds and fine drizzle. The pressure gradient is steady. At the cold front the cloud cover is mainly cumulo-nimbus and showers with an increasing pressure gradient. As the warm tropical maritime air mass is less dense it is forced to rise over the cold air mass. As it rise due to convectional uplift it reaches its due point where it saturates forms clouds and releases precipitation. The cold air mass is travelling faster than the warm air mass so it undercuts it and lifts the depression of the ground. It starts to spin anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere due to Coriolis force. This brings with it low thick cumulus clouds that deliver heavy rainfall and bring high wind speeds due to the increased pressure gradient. This depression moves over land until its warm air supply runs out. Depressions can bring very severe weather and bring hurricane forces that can destroy properties. The storm of 1987 was a particular devastation to the Uk and parts of France killing 14 people.

I doubt this will come up, my teacher thinks its unlucky more to be on anticyclones and weather or air masses in UK.

Just remember if a qs was to explain the different between a depression and anticyclone.

Depression= low pressure, anticlockwise winds in northern hemisphere. Wet weather.

Anticyclone=high pressure so sinking air, high moisture, sunny weather, fog, morning mist and due and temperature inversions. Clockwise winds.

It's long but I wrote this and got 8/8 on a paper. Any more questions give me a buzz and ill try to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A past question on ecosystems was, "describe and explain two changes that have taken place in urban ecosystems.(8 marks)" How would you answer this? I haven't got a clue :s-smilie:
My teacher really thinks seismicity/tsunamis will come up. I'm physical so a good batholith question would be nice but we missed them in January :tongue: To be honest I'm quite comfortable with tectonics, I'm more worried about cities.

THANK GOD BATHLOTIH IS GONE (despite me learning it :frown:) and yeah same with my teacher!! but theres no specific tsunami case study we have to learn right? so it could only be an 8 marker 'Describes causes and characteristics of tsunamis?' CITIES is fine!!! what are you worried about, it's much easier to BS than tectonics :frown:
Reply 1256
Original post by Khushaali
thanks so much!
I'm panicking a lot, I've only just finished one of the topics.
Im thinking of doing ecosystems or one of the human essays I'm not sure.
What about you?
i do struggle with the ecosystems essays especially the ones on development, sustainability and biodiversity in tropical biomes, even though they are interesting. What case studies do you use for this?

Dont worry at all, Ive just finished notes on World Cities in 2 days and doing Globalisation notes now! It can be done if you set yourself productively for a good day or two!:smile:

Oh nonono, ecosystems is so not my thang :colondollar: Ive decided to just focus on Tectonics, WC and D&G..
Think Im going to do the D&G essay as its where I find I focus on more, ecosystems I tend to bring out more philosophical side out and blab too much - plus it's really not my thing:P.
But for tropical biome I got told to do the savannahs or even the Amazon! Theres lots to discuss with development issues and sustainability in the Amazon :smile:
Reply 1257
Original post by jacktomos95
My teacher is an examiner and she went on a course and thy said not to use the docklands as it is a group of schemes not a specific partnership. She said answers were given credit but only able to access level 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is using London Docklands as an area that experienced urban decline and then also using it for urban regeneration? It was in 2 of my textbooks under those two topics:s-smilie: pleasepleaseplease tell me its okay lol
(edited 10 years ago)
could someone please send times for the exams as my school has not sent out a time table. it would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Reply 1259
Cambridge :smile: Every degree though is a BA, you can get a BA in maths or physics.

Really?:s-smilie:
When I was applying I found that the optional units on Bsc were more physical based and BA were more human based. At my open days the geog students said so too.. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending