ReputationRep:
    I got a box of cereal for my exam results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    I got a box of cereal for my exam results
    Jel! Was it Coco pops?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My mum gave me money for my GCSE results, but it was unexpected and definitely was never the incentive for me to work hard. I've always been very focused on achieving what I know I'm capable of both for myself and ultimately seeing my mum's pride is always more of a motivation than the prospect of a reward. She cried when I got my results and whilst obviously money was a nice surprise just seeing her reaction was enough of a reward for me I only think giving money is a problem if that's the only incentive to work hard because that won't work forever

ReputationRep:
    I would

I think it's great; they can treat themselves. But I think the good grades itself are already the reward for them and the money is minor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shanij)
    Jel! Was it Coco pops?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nah it was Krave!
    Name:  Krave_3d[2].jpg
Views: 49
Size:  91.7 KB
    yum

ReputationRep:
    My mum has promised me a LOT of money £200 for each A* £100 for each A, £50 for each b and £10 for each C. Obviously I'm happy I'm going to get money but I think it's a bit silly... I definitely won't be promising my kids money for doing something they should be doing anyway

ReputationRep:
    My birthday is right at the end of August, just after results day(s), so my parents have previously gotten me a bigger birthday present when I've done especially well (e.g. they bought me a new guitar when I turned 18 about a week after my A-level results). But I don't think any of it really affected my approach to exams - I'd want to do really well regardless of any reward as at the end of the day, good exam results (especially A-level and later) will pay for themselves in the long run by helping you to get a better-paid job.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Back when i did GCSE's my parents said i will get (per subject so not per GCSE - double GCSE's ect..) that i would get £5 for each C, £10 for each B and £20 for each A/A*. Unfortunately whilst i know i was capable of all A* grades had i put the effort in, i chose not to do coursework and did no revision for the exams and so got a bunch of B/C grades.

My opinion is that it is a good way to motivate people because many will be motivated by money but for me i am most motivated when in competition with somebody.

I did feel hard done by the following year when my sister got money for E/D/C grades but then she's always being lacking in intelligence whereas i am very bright but academically lazy.

ReputationRep:
    I get nothing and I expect nothing

It's my future, getting good results should be a reward in itself

ReputationRep:
    I don't get any money for results. I think it is a good motivator though! If I was told I'd get £50 per A* I would make sure I had straight A*s haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My parents tend to reward me for working hard, rather than the results. Last year they gave me two tickets to a musical and a bit of money for some clothes after I'd finished my exams, because they said they'd seen how hard I worked that it didn't matter if I failed because I'd really tried my best. I prefer that, rather than actual bribery or rewards per grade. I know someone who worked their very hardest for an exam in a subject they were just scraping passes in and got a B, which is fantastic compared to before but because it wasn't an A they didn't get anything

ReputationRep:
    I never really need the motivation of money, it's more of a nice reward, I just do the revision for the sake of getting the grades i want/university. That didn't work with my older brother though, he did hardly any work so my parents promised him money per A/A* he got. They offered to do the same for me but i said i didn't want it. In the end, for my GCSEs, we decided to get a chinese takeaway if i got at least 8As and include duck pancakes if 6 of the were A*s. mmmmm . . . duck pancakes :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think there's anything wrong with rewarding children in this way. Some parents might just want to celebrate their children's good grades or congratulate them by giving them something. Kids always want their achievements to be recognised. And if it happens to work as an incentive to work harder and get better grades, then it's all the better

Although having said that, for a lot of children, it probably wouldn't make any difference to how well they do, because they want to get good grades for themselves, not for their parents. They're in it for a much bigger reward of getting into a good university, getting the career that they want, a step towards standing on their own two feet, and the self-satisfaction of outperforming their peers. In that respect, there's already enough incentive for them to work as hard as they can and do as well as they can. It's a sad state of affairs if the parents think that they have to bribe their children in order to make them work hard, because they won't bother otherwise. My mum said she'd buy me a new guitar if I got all A*s in my GCSEs, but that doesn't mean that if she hadn't, I would have been happy with bad grades. I'd want as many A*s as I could get regardless. (7 years later and I'm still waiting for my guitar )

ReputationRep:
    but GCSEs are a piece of piss anyway... if you get below a C in something you should be giving your parents money...

ReputationRep:
    I got a packet of chocolate for results, that's about it. And proudness etc, obviously

ReputationRep:
    I think it's nice to get a reward for hard work, but offering money per grade always seemed stupid to me.

I knew for both gcse's and a levels that if I did we'll, we'd go out for a nice meal, it was a surprise when I also got some really decent kitchenware for Uni after good a level results (sounds a weird 'reward' but the two things I spend most of my money on are tech and kitchenware, so for me it fit)

ReputationRep:
    Back in GCSE's I remember loads of people getting £50 for a B and £100 for an A*.. For achieving full ums in physics and A*'s in maths in this January's A2 exams what did I get?

"Well done Kev, by the way I'd love a cup of tea"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beaux1)
    My dad just gave me £50 for my modular results, on the basis that they were extremely good and I worked very hard for them.
    However, I don't feel I worked as hard as I should have done, and therefore I don't feel I deserve the money.
    Other people I know have been promised £50 for each A*, £40 for each A, etc.
    I think that money should neither be used as motivation, nor as rewards for good results, but should instead be used to reward effort.

I don't deserve £50 for these results, I deserve £20 maximum considering the little effort I put in.
    I'm already revising for summer exams, so I'll deserve the money then, but what if I don't get results that are as good as these ones?
    Does that mean I deserve the money less?

Are you rewarded for results/effort? Would you like to be? Why/Why not?
    Discuss.
    I find that the reward I gain from hard work etc..., are the actual grades themselves I feel sick when my mum offers me money for every A* I get, but this is my personal opinion!

ReputationRep:
    Your results can lead to a place at a good uni or internship etc, all ultimately with the aim of adding to your earning potential. Looking at the big picture you are working for money anyway so its perfectly logical for your parents to reward you financially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    I don't agree with giving money. People should put in hard work without an incentive like that - it implies that if there wasn't cash on offer then they wouldn't try.

I got bugger all for my exam results.
    I agree.
    People should work hard and try their best in all their exams, regardless of whether they are going to get money or not.
    I didnt get money when i got my exam results either, and neither did i expect to get any money.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.