The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Why isn't everyone on the Physics Applicants 2014 stalking page?
Reply 541
Original post by adi19956
Why isn't everyone on the Physics Applicants 2014 stalking page?

I've just found out this page exists. I'll add my details tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys :smile:

Just a random question: does anyone know how popular physics is as a degree/if a lot of people apply to it per year?

I can find such statistics for medicine/law/dentistry but i cant seem to find much info on physics
Original post by emilyrose24
I'm Emily (yes I'm a female), I'm applying to KCL, UCL, Bath, Bristol and Surrey. I'm currently studying maths, physics, English and French (for AS I studied government and politics too.) I'm predicted A*A*AA. I went back a year a couple of years ago so I know a fair bit about the university entry procedure now but haven't actually sent my application off yet. I'm getting quite nervous about if I'll get any offers or not :confused:

go ahead and apply girrrlll! :biggrin:D your predicted grades are brilliant! im also a girl, and im also taking maths, physics and english, and im applying to king's and bath too! though im only predicted AAA (sadly, my school rarely predicts A*s, so i didnt get one in maths/physics when i deserve it) :frown:

but yes, go ahead and apply! hopefully you'll get all your offers, its definitely not like youre under achieving or anything, so nothing's stopping you from not getting an offer :biggrin:
Original post by PhysicsLeopard
ahh exactly the same subjects as me, and four of the same unis! i'm imperial rather than lancaster though :smile: which college at cambridge/durham?

Corpus Christi at cambridge and Grey at Durham...

I had no idea with Durham so literally just picked one with my eyes shut... :-P

I chose Corpus because i stayed there over the summer for the Senior Physics Challenge...
Original post by KorPhysicist
Yay im the first asian. Ok im korean whos doing IB. Im particularly interested in theoretical physics. It seems like many of u did a lot of extra works. Ive done just teaching my peers and stuff. Can teaching my physics class instead of teacher count as a good extra curricular activity?
Ive sent my app to oxford, UCL, imperial, Edinburgh and st andrews

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry... I'm Asian... :-P

And if teaching your physics class counts then please tell me... Because I'll put it down on mine was well... :-P
Original post by vandanparmar
Sorry... I'm Asian... :-P

And if teaching your physics class counts then please tell me... Because I'll put it down on mine was well... :-P

Alright first korean then. I only wrote my teaching experience on my personal statement nothing more. I wish i could add it as a work experience :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 547
What is your name?
What universities are you interested in?
What are your subjects and hopeful grades for AS and A2?
How many prospectuses have you had all together now?
Any female physicists out there?

My name is Zafar. I'm interested in Oxford, Imperial and UCL. I'm not British, so I have no AS/A2/A whatever. I've had no prospectus at all, but I do know that Oxford and Imperial are really good for physics.
Reply 548
Alright first korean then. I only wrote my teaching experience on my personal statement nothing more. I wish i could add it as a work experience :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it blows. Everybody has taught peers. It's not special. I wouldn't have even used space on my PS to mention it, unless you were teaching university students.
Reply 549
Original post by King Hotpie
Ok, I have to ask this now because microsoft word and my personal statement are driving me mad. Thermodynamicist is definitely a word isn't it? :afraid:

Lol, why would you need to put 'thermodynamicist' in your statement?
Original post by ZafarS
Lol, why would you need to put 'thermodynamicist' in your statement?

I was talking about Sadi Carnot. I don't think the word thermodynamicist actually made it into the final draft though- far too long, and I couldn't justify wasting the characters it required! :tongue:
Reply 551
Original post by King Hotpie
I was talking about Sadi Carnot. I don't think the word thermodynamicist actually made it into the final draft though- far too long, and I couldn't justify wasting the characters it required! :tongue:

Hmm, don't know the guy but I'm guessing he's the one behind the carnot cycle? IIRC that's how entropy was first formulated right, because it was a state variable? I remember reading about it a few years ago, when I tried to figure out what the heck entropy really was, lol.
Original post by ZafarS
Hmm, don't know the guy but I'm guessing he's the one behind the carnot cycle? IIRC that's how entropy was first formulated right, because it was a state variable? I remember reading about it a few years ago, when I tried to figure out what the heck entropy really was, lol.

Yeah, he was a French engineer/physicist that came up with the Carnot cycle. Often referred to as the father of thermodynamics, yet few people seem to have heard about him!
Original post by ZafarS
But it blows. Everybody has taught peers. It's not special. I wouldn't have even used space on my PS to mention it, unless you were teaching university students.

Really? Even though i gathered students and taught relativity? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 554
Just got my first offer! Warwick F303 unconditional :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 555
Original post by alow
Just got my first offer! Warwick F303 unconditional :smile:

Nice one! When did you send off your application?
Reply 556
Nice one! When did you send off your application?

Thanks!

I sent it on the 8th of October. Have you applied to Warwick?
Reply 557
Original post by alow
Thanks!

I sent it on the 8th of October. Have you applied to Warwick?

A fair bit earlier than mine then. Sent mine on the 17th.

I haven't applied to Warwick, no. It just never appealed to me. Great university though.

Good luck with the rest of your applications! Have you applied to Oxbridge?
Reply 558
A fair bit earlier than mine then. Sent mine on the 17th.

I haven't applied to Warwick, no. It just never appealed to me. Great university though.

Good luck with the rest of your applications! Have you applied to Oxbridge?

Yeah I had been working on my statement for ages in the summer :smile:

Thanks, you too! I applied to Cambridge.
Reply 559
Really? Even though i gathered students and taught relativity? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends. Special relativity? Everybody knows that stuff, just 1 good day with Schutz first course and you'll be proficient. I doubt they'll think someone who knows special relativity is smart, I'm pretty sure 90% of the people in this thread know SR. If you've actually taught general relativity, I'm impressed. But I doubt you did, because if you are teaching your fellow students it means that you must be in a class full of high school students proficient in differential geometry and multivariable calculus, which I highly doubt unless you live in Russia :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending