Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email inviting me to interview at Imperial on the 14th of November!

Has anyone else got one from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v.007)
    How was the imperial interview, was it really technical or more personal statement based ?
    I actually thought it would be more general like "why study physics? Or why Imperial?" but they asked me to explain some things from my personal statement (5 minutes only) and then it was really technical for another 15 minutes... But instead of asking me to solve physics problems, they asked me questions from my other High Level Subjects ( Chemistry and Maths)!

Apparently they changed their interview process to being more technical and academic compared to the last few years :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movethemoon)
    I actually thought it would be more general like "why study physics? Or why Imperial?" but they asked me to explain some things from my personal statement (5 minutes only) and then it was really technical for another 15 minutes... But instead of asking me to solve physics problems, they asked me questions from my other High Level Subjects ( Chemistry and Maths)!

Apparently they changed their interview process to being more technical and academic compared to the last few years :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was there any 'cambridge' type interview questions like obscure ones or was it straightforward application of knowledge?
    Sorry to sound interrogating, never had a interview before lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v.007)
    Was there any 'cambridge' type interview questions like obscure ones or was it straightforward application of knowledge?
    Sorry to sound interrogating, never had a interview before lol

The maths questions was actually really easy ( I still messed up -.-) but the second one definitely was an "Oxbridge" type of question! Like you have a pyramid with base 100m^2 filled top to bottom with sand and a thimble filled with water. Estimate if there are more molecules of water in the thimble or more grains of sand in the pyramid! And you actually need to calculate those numbers...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adi19956)
    What I found most interesting is how the percentage of of applicants getting offers is decreasing in physics every year. Obviously this doesn't matter to you anymore, but to others...
    Hmm, that is interesting, I wonder why?

(Original post by Jozden)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...pplicants_2014 - yoyo here is the stalking page for us amazing physics applicants so everyone join! (mainly because i can follow you evil people who have offers from universities so far and i dont :'( )
    Thanks, I'd forgotten to add myself to that list (plus it's another place to show off my two offers I've got already, haha )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movethemoon)
    The maths questions was actually really easy ( I still messed up -.-) but the second one definitely was an "Oxbridge" type of question! Like you have a pyramid with base 100m^2 filled top to bottom with sand and a thimble filled with water. Estimate if there are more molecules of water in the thimble or more grains of sand in the pyramid! And you actually need to calculate those numbers...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds quite tricky, how did you get on? I have an idea as to how I could estimate the number of water molecules but I think the number of grains of sand would be a lot more difficult!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything from Royal Holloway?? Do you have to go for an "applicant visit day" AKA, an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...pplicants_2014
    Wondering if some kind soul with a bit more ICT ability than me could add me to the list? My 4 options so far are Cambridge (Nat Sci), Durham, Manchester and St Andrews, with my fifth choice still undecided. No offers yet, but I have got an interview at Manchester on Thursday! My GCSE results were 3 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs; my AS results were AAAAA (one A being in General Studies ), and my predictions are A*A*A*AA, with one of the A*s in General Studies. So probably just AAAA and A*A*AA. My application was sent to the universities on the 8th October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    That sounds quite tricky, how did you get on? I have an idea as to how I could estimate the number of water molecules but I think the number of grains of sand would be a lot more difficult!
    Yes the water molecules can be calculated by estimating the volume of the thimble and then finding the number of moles (mass/Molar Mass). And then moles × Avogadro's number gives the number of molecules.

For the grains of sand you first find the volume of the pyramid (if you remember the formula...). Then you estimate the volume of one grain of sand and divide the volume of the pyramid by the volume of one grain of sand.

And surprise: they turn out to be of the same magnitude. 10^17 for my answer...

Doesn't sound that complicated now but in the interview I was totally lost and had no idea what to do...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomtech)
    Yeah, Durham really surprised me offering so early. They asked for my physics and maths UMS last week (275/300 and 286/300 respectively)
    Durham asked for my UMS too in maths and physics (298/300 and 285/300 respectively) about 2 weeks ago but I've heard nothing since! I hope i get an offer... It looks like a nice place!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatom)
    Durham asked for my UMS too in maths and physics (298/300 and 285/300 respectively) about 2 weeks ago but I've heard nothing since! I hope i get an offer... It looks like a nice place!!
    Nooooo, someone with better UMS than me... Seriously though, if I've got an offer, then you should easily get one too! Good luck!

And, feeling like I need to explain myself in light of your brilliant maths score - I'm not totally bad at Maths, I got 100, 99 and then made a total mess (in my opinion anyway) and got 87 in one module. I wanted a maths score like yours haha. My physics was slightly more consistent, at 116/120, 106/120 and 53/60 (but as always, I feel like I could've done better).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomtech)
    Nooooo, someone with better UMS than me... Seriously though, if I've got an offer, then you should easily get one too! Good luck!

And, feeling like I need to explain myself in light of your brilliant maths score - I'm not totally bad at Maths, I got 100, 99 and then made a total mess (in my opinion anyway) and got 87 in one module. I wanted a maths score like yours haha. My physics was slightly more consistent, at 116/120, 106/120 and 53/60 (but as always, I feel like I could've done better).
    Don't worry... I beat both of you in maths... ;-)

C3: 100
    M1: 100
    C4: 99 ;-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandanparmar)

*******!! Haha! I got 98 in C1, 100 in C2 and M1 And in physics I got 83/90, 150/150 and 52/60

ReputationRep:
    What unis have you guys applied to? And I've heard that Durham has more stuck up students than other unis, is that true? I've applied for Oxford (PAT next week, going to fail it), Imperial, Durham, Warwick and Bath and I've got two offers so far from Warwick and Bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandanparmar)

C1: 100
    C2: 100
    M1: *drum roll* 100!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Although I did have to re-sit C1 :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v.007)
    An offer from warwick?! Already? Did you take a gap year then apply or is this your first time? Also when did you send your application, I Havnt heard anything except the confirmation? :hmmm:
    I applied at the very beginning of October, haven't taken a gap year (doing A2 now) but I didn't get a conformation email at all... Just an offer from out of the blue! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity_4652)
    Hi!
    Im not applying for university yet, but...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I am italian and an aspiring physicist, just like you!
    I'm a college student in east london, so i am applying to uni next year.
    I'm from venice btw!

At the moment, i'm hoping to apply for one of these...
    -astrophysics
    -nuclear physics
    -theoretical physics

What unis have you applied for??
    Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh

How long have you been in London? Did you grow up there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v.007)
    An offer from warwick?! Already? Did you take a gap year then apply or is this your first time? Also when did you send your application, I Havnt heard anything except the confirmation? :hmmm:
    I got an offer from Warwick on the 22nd October, sent on the 8th October.

Although I'm on my gap year and already have my A Levels :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I got an offer from Warwick on the 22nd October, sent on the 8th October.

Although I'm on my gap year and already have my A Levels :rolleyes:
    I got an offer 14 days after I applied too :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatom)
    I got an offer 14 days after I applied too :eek:
    Maybe they look at applications 2 weeks after they receive them?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.