Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbseh)
    I got an offer for the MPhys on Wednesday at AAB! Have you been invited to a visit day for it?
    No not yet they say on their website that they send them out early November. Have you got one yet and have you visited Leicester Uni yet? I wasn't able to go to any of their open days so I haven't been yet.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, a physics applicants thread: I should probably post :-P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcitinglyMundane)
    Ooo, a physics applicants thread: I should probably post :-P
    Where are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Where are you applying to?
    Oxford (Pembroke), Birmingham, Durham, Lancaster and Bath.

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford (Pembroke), Birmingham, Durham, Lancaster and Bath.

How about you?
    Had any replies yet?

I've applied to Cambridge (Homerton), Manchester, Durham, Imperial and Warwick (which I have an unconditional offer from)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Had any replies yet?

I've applied to Cambridge (Homerton), Manchester, Durham, Imperial and Warwick (which I have an unconditional offer from)
    Unconditional, nice!

I've got A*AA from Birmingham, and AAA from Bath. I've also have an interview on the 21st at Lancaster

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional, nice!

I've got A*AA from Birmingham, and AAA from Bath. I've also have an interview on the 21st at Lancaster
    Yeah I'm on my gap year so already have my A Levels

Congrats on the offers and good luck with your interview!

I've got an interview at Imperial next week so I should really start to prepare for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yeah I'm on my gap year so already have my A Levels

Congrats on the offers and good luck with your interview!

I've got an interview at Imperial next week so I should really start to prepare for it...
    I suppose that's helpful :-P

Thank you and good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    This question may be phrased weirdly but how much of a backup is your backup choice? As in, for the grade requirements, how much lower are they than your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgottenFaith_15)
    This question may be phrased weirdly but how much of a backup is your backup choice? As in, for the grade requirements, how much lower are they than your predicted grades?
    Talking to me?

If you are, Bath is my backup, AAA, I'm predicted 5 A*'s. I've also got Birmingham's Bachelor's guarantee. (If they're my firm, and I get AAA, they'll accept me onto the three year Bsc.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Sometimes for physics it's not all about simply copying notes and past papers, you have to make sure you really understand the content so you can apply it to unfamiliar situations (such as what they give you in exams).
    This. Exactly this. Physics, by very nature, isn't something where you can memorize and regurgitate answers. You have to be able to understand what is going on, and be able to 'apply it to unfamiliar situations (such as what they give you in exams).' Very well said, couldn't have put it better myself.
    If you are struggling with Physics, then revision guides make the world of difference, they explain the phenomena slowly and in detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passionate27)
    Guys I need serious help!

I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths (AS Levels). I am struggling with physics I don't get it. I perform well in class when Miss gives us question or when she tells us to give her answers I am the one doing that majority of the time.

We have done a few test and I have been doing rubbish in them getting E & D's. I am thinking of dropping physics because I have been working hard for it but I am not getting the results. I have done past papers for the topics we've already done, made notes from the textbook. What else?

I give up, I don't know what I am doing wrong. What do you think I should do?

Thank you so much for anything opinon that you give me, trust me it would be a huge help. I am very confused.
    I was nothing special at physics at the start of the year, but I turned it around by using the right resources to work from. My teachers were pretty good but I wouldn't have done half as well as I had without YouTube. Two channels specifically, DocSchuster and DrPhysicsA were amazingly helpful, I strongly recommend you visit them and if there's no improvement after a while, you may want to reconsider your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passionate27)
    I think I get the concept I just feel lost when I am in test condition and the questions are written so differently but I understand what you mean. I did use Khan Academy at the start but then stopped; thanks I will use it again.

Exactly, at GCSE's Physics was really simply tbh. That gives me hope, thank you.
    Yeah GCSE Physics doesn't prepare you for A Level very well but as long as you perservere you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Anyone who's got an offer for Manchester, how long after you had your interview did you get the offer?
    Fred said we'd hear within a few weeks didn't he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    Fred said we'd hear within a few weeks didn't he?
    Yeah he did.

I just really want to know what the conditions will be so it'd be nice if it was sooner (like someone who replied said they got their offer the next day)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moist Penguin)
    No not yet they say on their website that they send them out early November. Have you got one yet and have you visited Leicester Uni yet? I wasn't able to go to any of their open days so I haven't been yet.
    No not yet, I wasn't sure if they had any! I haven't been able to visit unfortunately. I tried twice to try and get the but things just kept coming up

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else not had any response at all yet? Haha :P
    I applied on October the 23rd D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who was at the Manchester interview day on the 7th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassface)
    Hey there!
    For me, I think the only reason I ended up getting 271/300 UMS in AS physics was that I've always really enjoyed the subject. So make sure you enjoy what you're being taught :P

If you read around some topics (like diffraction, for example - used to map the structure of atoms; or circular motion - used to analyse planetary systems) and find their use or relevance, or their links to other areas of study, you'll be able to appreciate the differing contexts to which subjects can be applied, which helps with unfamiliar questions.

However, in general, I've found that with modern A-level papers, once you've done a few papers, you've pretty much done all of them.
    The questions are typically quite generic, and mostly you just need to be able to spot the three numbers they give you, and find the right equation on the equation sheet that will provide the fourth number!
    As long as you understand (not just memorise) every equation on the equation sheet, you'll be able to deal with anything

(Oh yeah, and just practise. Lots)

Hope this helps a bit :P

Christy.
    I love Physics, still do but its the topic we're currently doing but I am eventually getting them. That is a really good idea, thank you for sharing it with me; I would definitely read some books for physics.

It true I have done a few past paper for the topics we have already covered and it just gets more clear. They have similar styles of questions when they ask for a particular thing so by practicing you know what they need.

thank you very much, that was very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJLD7)
    I was nothing special at physics at the start of the year, but I turned it around by using the right resources to work from. My teachers were pretty good but I wouldn't have done half as well as I had without YouTube. Two channels specifically, DocSchuster and DrPhysicsA were amazingly helpful, I strongly recommend you visit them and if there's no improvement after a while, you may want to reconsider your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My Teacher isn't that good, she knows it but explaining it to us is what she is not very good at. I would for sure check those channels out, thank you very much!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.