The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by IlariaM
I'm pretty much in the same situation. I am an EU applicant (from Italy), will probably apply to Imperial, Edinburgh, Manchester, Warwick and Durham. I'm also considering Cambridge, but I'm not sure. If I don't get into any of these unis I'll stay in Italy.
Where are you from?

I am from Slovenia. I mean, its worth a try. But I am not sure, if I`ll accept offer from, I dont know, Durham. Its not like its a bad university, it is great, but maybe is it better to study to masters degree in Slovenia and then PhD in UK/USA, because I`ll have to come back to work in Slovenia for as many years as I will be studying abroad. So basically, I am more or less counting on Cambridge, Imperial... For other unis I`ll decide if I dont get an offer from Cambridge/Imperial.

ThoPhys
Thanks, I will definitely check for this course. Problem with me is, that I am too interested in so many different things and its hard to pick a subject you`ll be doing your whole life.
Reply 81
Original post by excal9
I've just been told to read books/ journals and make notes, and been given access to Leeds University Library, I've tried to use physics papers form http://arxiv.org/ but I get stuck after the first few paragraphs xD

And you'll just make notes/write up what you've learnt from them? I'm at a complete loss :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by Abbseh
And you'll just make notes/write up what you've learnt from them? I'm at a complete loss :frown:

Yeah, i'll make notes and evaluates sources etc and then type it up as the final essay
Reply 83
I just saw a question of the January 2012 unit 1 AQA A paper that asked why a photon must interact with matter in order for pair production to occur. I've never heard of this before could someone explain why, i see no obvious reason as everything can still be conserved without any interaction?
Reply 84
Original post by Goods
I just saw a question of the January 2012 unit 1 AQA A paper that asked why a photon must interact with matter in order for pair production to occur. I've never heard of this before could someone explain why, i see no obvious reason as everything can still be conserved without any interaction?

Stab in the dark here but maybe so that it can build enough energy for pair production to occur? It may not have enough energy for the electron/position to be produced.
Wouldn't take that at law though as I really am having a guess :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Goods

I looked up the paper, and couldn't find your question :s-smilie:
Reply 86
Original post by joostan
I looked up the paper, and couldn't find your question :s-smilie:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-QP-JAN12.PDF this paper question 3)a) it only cost me one mark but apparently it needs to interact to conserve momentum (according the the mark scheme).
Reply 87
Original post by Goods
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-QP-JAN12.PDF this paper question 3)a) it only cost me one mark but apparently it needs to interact to conserve momentum (according the the mark scheme).

I thought that must be the one though I didn't understand your query. Seems to be a pretty random mark at the end, bit vague as well. :s-smilie:
Reply 88
Original post by Goods

It requires a bit of algebra, but one can show that you cannot satisfy the momentum and energy conservation laws at the same time if you directly create a particle-antiparticle pair from a photon. That's best seen if you just had enough energy to create the pair - which then would be at rest, thus carried vanishing momentum, while the photon had momentum p=E/c. So, you cannot conserve both laws unless you transfer some of the momentum to other particles (ie, matter).
Reply 89
Hey again, I just had the idea to ask if any of you could recommend a good physics/mathematical physics text book? I'm looking for something challenging with plenty of exercises, I was thinking of getting 'mathematical methods for physics and engineering' by K F Riley as I assume it would see me through a degree. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by excal9
Hey again, I just had the idea to ask if any of you could recommend a good physics/mathematical physics text book? I'm looking for something challenging with plenty of exercises, I was thinking of getting 'mathematical methods for physics and engineering' by K F Riley as I assume it would see me through a degree. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I've inherited that book off my sis, it's pretty hard, with little explanation but I'd certainly recommend it :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by joostan
I've inherited that book off my sis, it's pretty hard, with little explanation but I'd certainly recommend it :smile:

I've seen a pdf of it and I understand the first few chapters with no problems. I know it looks to get very tough but I'm after something to look at after the exams :wink:
Reply 92
Original post by excal9
I've seen a pdf of it and I understand the first few chapters with no problems. I know it looks to get very tough but I'm after something to look at after the exams :wink:

Having covered most of the topics in the first few chapter's it's certainly not too bad :smile: though the vector calculus and pdes were a little hard to piece together. :tongue:
Reply 93
Original post by joostan
Having covered most of the topics in the first few chapter's it's certainly not too bad :smile: though the vector calculus and pdes were a little hard to piece together. :tongue:

I'll probably get it, if i get stuck I can always ask my teachers/ on here :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by excal9
I'll probably get it, if i get stuck I can always ask my teachers/ on here :smile:

Good for you :smile:
Reply 95
If anyone needs any advice I would be happy to help! As a 2013 applicant I'm pretty clued up about all these things at the moment at what certain Unis look for.

Applied to Oxford (rejected), Imperial (firm), UCL (insurance), Durham, Lancaster

and know plenty about St Andrews, Manchester, and Kings.
Reply 96
Original post by physicsnut
If anyone needs any advice I would be happy to help! As a 2013 applicant I'm pretty clued up about all these things at the moment at what certain Unis look for.

Applied to Oxford (rejected), Imperial (firm), UCL (insurance), Durham, Lancaster

and know plenty about St Andrews, Manchester, and Kings.

I'm really interested in St Andrews as my highest applying uni (AAA right?) but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it up for an open day/visiting day. Is it really important to see because it wasn't as you expected/love hate? Damn it being so out of the way!
Reply 97
Original post by Abbseh
I'm really interested in St Andrews as my highest applying uni (AAA right?) but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it up for an open day/visiting day. Is it really important to see because it wasn't as you expected/love hate? Damn it being so out of the way!

I was going to apply to St Andrews but after attending the open day decided against it. Basically I realised just how isolated and small it was, and there seemed to be a massive divide between the sciences and humanities. The building are like a mile apart, to be honest. I just didn't like the feel of it.

However I have to say that I had a bad case of man flu that day and felt groggy, so not sure how much that affected my decision. Definitely a very nice department, and the observatory is very good, if you like that stuff.

If I was in your situation I would advise and open day visit. It is really a subjective uni. However if you can't make it I would say assess what type of life you want, and whether you could deal with all the formalities of an Oxbridge Uni without the name, possibly the largest deterrent for me. Seemed to be full of americans as well... Not that I have anything against americans.

Anyway check it out if you can. if you can't, think of it like a campus uni, without clubs or major facilities on or near the campus. If you can deal with that then apply.
Hey, I'm Dale, and I go to Luton Sixth Form College.
I am in year 12 and I study Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics all to AS level. Additionally, I do level 2 Latin. I'm hoping to carry all of my subjects on to A2. I'm predicted AAAA, having already achieved an A in AS maths.
The ideal university for me is Edinburgh, as they offer this awesome course, Physics and Meteorology. I'm looking to apply for Physics with Astrophysics everywhere else, though. The other universities i'm particularly interested in are St. Andrews, Sheffield, Nottingham and UCL.
I have in surplus of 30 prospectuses sitting on my shelf... I'm a little bit of a collector.
I'm afraid I am male.
Original post by Abbseh
HELLO PHYSICISTS!
Time to share what you're wanting your future to be and how you intend to get there!
Here are some quick questions to get people started:
What is your name?
What universities are you interested in?
What are your subjects and hopeful grades for AS and A2?
How many prospectuses have you had all together now?
Any female physicists out there?

~~~

Your turn now guys :dance:

Hello!
I'm Alice :smile:
I've been looking at Cambridge, York, Durham, St Andrews, Bath and Bristol!
Subjects: Maths (mechanics), physics, chemistry, art (graphics), GSCE Astronomy and my predicted AS grades are AAAA
Not got many so far! 3 I think! :eek:
And yep! haha I'm female! :colondollar:

Looking for astrophysics as my main interest!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending