Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyW456)
    I have an interview next week at Leeds, what sort of questions did they ask? Was it generally ok? I'm pretty nervous about it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll be fine, they only appear to interview people they want (we were told we had an offer before the interview) in terms of questions they just asked why leeds, why physics etc and a few simple enough physics questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm really quite confused about Birmingham...
    They advertise a standard offer of A*AA for the masters, but only AAA for the Bsc.
    Yet they boast the ability to switch your course around during the first two years.
    So my question is: why not just apply for the Bsc, get a lower offer, get in, then switch up later?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassface)
    I'm really quite confused about Birmingham...
    They advertise a standard offer of A*AA for the masters, but only AAA for the Bsc.
    Yet they boast the ability to switch your course around during the first two years.
    So my question is: why not just apply for the Bsc, get a lower offer, get in, then switch up later?

Thanks
    They say that it's perfectly acceptable to do so (although I've heard getting funding from the extra year is a pain). They also know this happens and offer a "Bachelors Guarantee". If you are offered A*AA for the MPhys course, and put Birmingham as a firm, if you get AAA as your exam results, they will then accept you only the Bsc.

They are well aware it happens! I can't find anything about it online, but they are very vocal about it if you visit.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!
    So do you think it's just best to apply for the Mphys, on the chance of getting the A*, and even if one misses slightly and gets AAA, they'd still be fine for a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassface)
    Thanks a lot!
    So do you think it's just best to apply for the Mphys, on the chance of getting the A*, and even if one misses slightly and gets AAA, they'd still be fine for a place?
    Yes, I do. Only however if you are planning to put Birmingham as a firm choice! If I were you, I would make sure to apply to at least one other AAA course, just in case, but if you're worried I'm sure it can't hurt to send a quick email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timi797)
    Has anyone here applied to UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes i have havent heard anything back yet though, yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here applied to UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I've got an interview on the 27th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Hi!

I think from the unis you've applied to obviously Imperial and Oxford are the most prestigious but really, they're all great so it should come down to which one you like the best!

Did you get an offer from Imperial before interview then? If so, that's brilliant! I haven't heard of anyone else having an offer even after interview yet (I had mine last week)

Good luck with all your interviews
    Hello,
    Yeah I am pleased with the ones I've chosen but choosing between them will be difficult. I somewhat hope some of them reject me just to make the choice on my end much easier (though I would be incredibly proud to get an offer from most of them).

Oh no, sorry I was wrong and wrote an interview from Imperial when I meant Nottingham (probably shouldn't have written it so late). I'll put an edit at the end. I meant to say I haven't heard anything from Imperial; got an interview at Nottingham and Exeter, and just confirmations from others.

Good Luck with your interviews to. Have you had any yet? Going by what I've read of a couple threads, I seem to remember you're going post-A Levels; so has that seemed to make a difference on how Universities respond to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dixavd)
    Hello,
    Yeah I am pleased with the ones I've chosen but choosing between them will be difficult. I somewhat hope some of them reject me just to make the choice on my end much easier (though I would be incredibly proud to get an offer from most of them).

Oh no, sorry I was wrong and wrote an interview from Imperial when I meant Nottingham (probably shouldn't have written it so late). I'll put an edit at the end. I meant to say I haven't heard anything from Imperial; got an interview at Nottingham and Exeter, and just confirmations from others.

Good Luck with your interviews to. Have you had any yet? Going by what I've read of a couple threads, I seem to remember you're going post-A Levels; so has that seemed to make a difference on how Universities respond to you?
    I'm sure it will be difficult, I'm thinking the same! Don't have to decide for a while yet though

Thanks! I've had interviews at Imperial and Manchester, offers from Manchester and Warwick, hopefully I'll find out from Cambridge soon, no one I've spoken to has heard anything from the college I'm applying to (Homerton) yet so they're leaving it a bit late.

Other than receiving unconditional offers, I haven't noticed anything different, although Warwick have asked me to send copies of my A Level certificates and reference certified by my old college because the grades are not confirmed by UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jozden)
    yes i have havent heard anything back yet though, yourself?
    Nope haven't heard back either! They seem to be taking their time haha

(Original post by Dominic101)
    Yeah I've got an interview on the 27th
    Oh right, when did you apply out of interest? You're the first person I've heard of who's received an interview from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Oh right, when did you apply out of interest? You're the first person I've heard of who's received an interview from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm the first well that makes me glad ) well it is an interview/visit dayand I applied on the 22th of October I think

ReputationRep:
    No thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw not cool, Best of luck. Are you going by yourself or have you got a parent going on the other tour thing?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had an interview at UCL this Wednesday. It was much more relaxed than either Manchester or imperial in my opinion, I had a post doc who works with data from the LHC. He asked me some questions about that and we had a chat, I had nothing technical although others in the group did. I opted for the lecture ( alternatively there was a visits to the UoL observatory ) which was on quantum computing and was very interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    I had an interview at UCL this Wednesday. It was much more relaxed than either Manchester or imperial in my opinion, I had a post doc who works with data from the LHC. He asked me some questions about that and we had a chat, I had nothing technical although others in the group did. I opted for the lecture ( alternatively there was a visits to the UoL observatory ) which was on quantum computing and was very interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay that sounds like quite a chilled visit day then. Did they give you much notice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by district9.75)
    Offer from exeter finally came through last night, such a relief! Bit worried that it's 3As - it was my lowest possible offer so now I am going to have to get 3As if I want to go to Uni
    Well done when was your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by excal9)
    You'll be fine, they only appear to interview people they want (we were told we had an offer before the interview) in terms of questions they just asked why leeds, why physics etc and a few simple enough physics questions
    Ok yay that's good then oh righty that sounds ok, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtw95)
    Aw not cool, Best of luck. Are you going by yourself or have you got a parent going on the other tour thing?
    Are you going on the Wednesday? I had the choice on Tuesday or Thursday to attend. Thanks, you too Yeh I'm going with a parent cus I live pretty far away so the train would be ridiculously expensive so we're driving instead what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you going on the Wednesday? I had the choice on Tuesday or Thursday to attend. Thanks, you too Yeh I'm going with a parent cus I live pretty far away so the train would be ridiculously expensive so we're driving instead what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah im going Wednesday. My mam still cant decide whether to go or not haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtw95)
    Yeah im going Wednesday. My mam still cant decide whether to go or not haha
    Oh right well I would say that if you're unsure on which universities you're gonna put as your firm and insurance then it might be good to have her opinion on Leeds? But if not then probs fine to go on your own

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh right well I would say that if you're unsure on which universities you're gonna put as your firm and insurance then it might be good to have her opinion on Leeds? But if not then probs fine to go on your own

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I guess. An offer from somewhere would be great first, I might not have a firm and insurance hahaha

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.