The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Just got my offer through UCAS for Imperial! Need an A in Further Maths :smile:
Reply 1361
Original post by flaptoad
St Anne's. I applied to Balliol but due to uneven distributions of physics applicants across the different colleges some applicants have been moved, such as me. I'm guessing this means that I only just cut the mustard on the PAT.

The website says:
"Candidates for reallocation are selected at random, and are treated in exactly the same way at interview as other candidates."
So don't worry.
Original post by theshinnbin
When talking to some of the student helpers at my interview, apparently Brian Cox is overrated as a lecturer anyway.

Durham is my second choice after Oxford and probably my most realistic choice :smile: My UMS was 99% in my maths A level (complete), 98% in my physics AS and 98% in the one further module that I've done. I've worried a bit too because quite a few people have heard back but there seems to be no pattern in when they do so I think it's all a bit random :P

Oh wow, well there goes my theory of "they've let all the really amazing people in first, and then they'll wait until after the January deadline to give offers to us 'average' lot" :P

Having just received my Oxford rejection, I'm even more worried about my Durham application :frown:
Reply 1363
Original post by PsiWave
The website says:
"Candidates for reallocation are selected at random, and are treated in exactly the same way at interview as other candidates."
So don't worry.

Ah right, that's not so bad then, I might have done better than I thought.
Original post by Bassface
Hey!
I live in Bristol, but yesterday, I literally just went and got the train up to Leeds to have a look around.
I walked into the department (on strike day - smart) and I got a mini 1-1 tour. The department seemed quite well equipped and everything, but I still can't decide what to make of the city/campus as a whole.

What are your thoughts on the department/campus/accommodation/city, if you have any?
And why? (if you don't mind)

I need to get my last two choices down, so any input (from anyone else too!) on Leeds would be REALLY appreciated! :P

(I'm also split between Nottingham/Birmingham as well as Leeds, so thoughts from anyone there are good too)

Thanks a lot in advance!
Christy.

Hi, I was just reading through the forum and came across your message so thought I would try and help as I have applied to 2 of the uni's you mention and looked at the other one :smile: (also I'm from Bristol too :biggrin:)
With Leeds (I applied there and have an offer)- I think the city seems great, and the campus is really near the city centre which I think is really good as many uni's in cities are a bit further out :smile: As you say the department was well equipped, oh and the campus is decent, the students union is good :smile: With accommodation it seems like they have a good range of location and prices for halls, there's even some accommodation on campus which would be pretty helpful!
Ok so with Nott and a Birmingham, I was considering both but chose Birmingham - Nottingham was certainly good but idk I didn't think it was amazing, whereas Birmingham I looked round last week on a visit day and really loved it as the campus is really nice, the department was well equipped and in a great position on campus and everyone was so friendly! Oh and the accommodation was real nice at Bham.
I would say it really depends on your predicted and AS grades - cus Birmingham ask for the highest, then Nott and Leeds, so you need to choose a range :smile:
I hope that helped! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1365
Got a letter from Manchester saying they've approved me for their £1000 scholarship. That was nice :smile:

Anyone else get it?
Reply 1366
Original post by alow
Got a letter from Manchester saying they've approved me for their £1000 scholarship. That was nice :smile:

Anyone else get it?

Anyone who gets 3A*'s gets it :smile:
Reply 1367
Original post by Goods
Anyone who gets 3A*'s gets it :smile:

I know, thought it was nice to get a letter confirming it though :smile:

They're the only university I've applied to where I'll get any form of free money :frown:
Reply 1368
Original post by alow
I know, thought it was nice to get a letter confirming it though :smile:

They're the only university I've applied to where I'll get any form of free money :frown:

Just read through the Physics and Astronomy booklet they gave us, and it's really making me want to go there. Making a choice is going to be hard, especially if I get into Oxford or Imperial.
What are your thoughts?
Original post by blumemusik
Oh wow, well there goes my theory of "they've let all the really amazing people in first, and then they'll wait until after the January deadline to give offers to us 'average' lot" :P

Having just received my Oxford rejection, I'm even more worried about my Durham application :frown:

Im in the exact same position with Oxford rejection. I think we just have to wait on Durham and hope we get offers too!!!
Original post by LucyW456
Hi, I was just reading through the forum and came across your message so thought I would try and help as I have applied to 2 of the uni's you mention and looked at the other one :smile: (also I'm from Bristol too :biggrin:)
With Leeds (I applied there and have an offer)- I think the city seems great, and the campus is really near the city centre which I think is really good as many uni's in cities are a bit further out :smile: As you say the department was well equipped, oh and the campus is decent, the students union is good :smile: With accommodation it seems like they have a good range of location and prices for halls, there's even some accommodation on campus which would be pretty helpful!
Ok so with Nott and a Birmingham, I was considering both but chose Birmingham - Nottingham was certainly good but idk I didn't think it was amazing, whereas Birmingham I looked round last week on a visit day and really loved it as the campus is really nice, the department was well equipped and in a great position on campus and everyone was so friendly! Oh and the accommodation was real nice at Bham.
I would say it really depends on your predicted and AS grades - cus Birmingham ask for the highest, then Nott and Leeds, so you need to choose a range :smile:
I hope that helped! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's convenient! :P
Where abouts in bristol are you? I'm "sayf o' the revaar", haha :P
The students' union did seem pretty good at Leeds, however, the food was bloody dear and very starchy in the canteen :frown:
As for the city, I'm in love with the indoor market!
Also, I'm on Youth Parliament, and at an event this year, we stayed in the Storm Jameson hall - really nice rooms :smile:
As for Birmingham, I just nipped up there today for a nosey round. We just walked in the back entrance and wandered round the campus. It is b-e-a-uuuutiful when empty at night. Seriously, it's nicer than I remember from the open day. The physics is good there too.
It's just a case of getting a strict A*AA now... :/ (which I am predicted, and which Nottingham also ask for, although I'm not sure if they deserve to ask for such high grades.)
I seem to remember the accommodation being quite expensive at Birmingham though...
Like I said, I'm predicted A*AA, and could get A*A*A (I could also get ABC, to be honest, if I have a mental breakdown :P)

Bristol only want ABB, and Bath want AAA, so I'm sorted for a range of grades.

And yes, that was helpful, thanks :smile:

Where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 1371
Original post by PsiWave
Just read through the Physics and Astronomy booklet they gave us, and it's really making me want to go there. Making a choice is going to be hard, especially if I get into Oxford or Imperial.
What are your thoughts?

Yeah Manchester does look so good, it's just it doesn't have the reputation or job prospects that Oxbridge and Imperial do :/ if it did I'd go there in a heartbeat.

I think if I get an offer from Cambridge I'll go there but right now it's looking like I'm going to firm Imperial and insure Manchester :smile:
Reply 1372
Original post by alow
Yeah Manchester does look so good, it's just it doesn't have the reputation or job prospects that Oxbridge and Imperial do :/ if it did I'd go there in a heartbeat.

I think if I get an offer from Cambridge I'll go there but right now it's looking like I'm going to firm Imperial and insure Manchester :smile:

But, why would you make the grades for your insurance higher than that of your firm? O.o

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1373
Original post by Agate
But, why would you make the grades for your insurance higher than that of your firm? O.o

Posted from TSR Mobile

He has an A offer for imperial and an unconditional for Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PsiWave
The website says:
So don't worry.

(Psi)^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1375
Original post by Agate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Goods
He has an A offer for imperial and an unconditional for Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's like Goods said, Manchester is unconditional :smile:
Reply 1376
Original post by alow
Yeah it's like Goods said, Manchester is unconditional :smile:

You've got to think though, with the grades Manchester ask for, in the next few years it's going to rise even higher in the league tables due to 'clever' people being allowed in. I mean it used to be low on league tables and its rose pretty quickly in recent years. In terms of job prospects it is up there with oxbridge.
Reply 1377
Original post by excal9
You've got to think though, with the grades Manchester ask for, in the next few years it's going to rise even higher in the league tables due to 'clever' people being allowed in. I mean it used to be low on league tables and its rose pretty quickly in recent years. In terms of job prospects it is up there with oxbridge.

To be fair in terms of straight physics Manchester is better than UCL (my second choice after cambridge) but I just think I'd prefer being a student in London to being one in Manchester even if my bank balance says otherwise...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1378
Original post by Goods
To be fair in terms of straight physics Manchester is better than UCL (my second choice after cambridge) but I just think I'd prefer being a student in London to being one in Manchester even if my bank balance says otherwise...

Posted from TSR Mobile

im not knocking London, if i could afford to study there i wouldve applied at imperial, i just figured Manchester was the next best thing for me, with it being a large city and good uni :smile:
Reply 1379
Original post by excal9

Imperial do still have the slight edge on grades, with >50% of physics undergrads having 3 or more A*s, on a couple of the tables I looked at Imperial had better prospects than Cambridge and Manchester (probably from the networking advantages of being located in London).

I just hope I get an offer from Cambridge so I don't have to think about it :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending