The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jozden
Yep I sent them an email on Friday, hopefully will get a response soon this week. Same here, don't want to sound cocky but felt like my grades were good enough to merit an offer but clearly not! and yeah i got the same message too, kind of a weird comment i thought, im curious to find out who did get an offer! just a thought but maybe they give preference to international students or scottish students? dont know about you but i had to fill out a fee form ages ago and got classified as UK, so that may have some influence on their decision?

Straight rejection from st Andrews, gcses wernt amazing, predicted A*A*A*AA at A2 though. I think it's personal statements really, although I'd like to see the application of someone who got in
Reply 1721
Remember guys that st andrews is free for Scottish and eu students and so its massively oversubscribed on top of the fact they give priority to Scottish students ... Still I doubt they have so many excellent candidates that have better predictions than you guys :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone here firming Manchester? Thought this might be a good way to make some friends :smile:
Reply 1723
Original post by Goods
Remember guys that st andrews is free for Scottish and eu students and so its massively oversubscribed on top of the fact they give priority to Scottish students ... Still I doubt they have so many excellent candidates that have better predictions than you guys :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

They DO NOT give preference to Scottish students. Can't quote any figures on this but I'm pretty sure that of all the Scottish universities, St Andrews has the lowest proportion of their student population from Scotland. I've also heard quite a few stories of people who got AAAAB in their highers and getting straight rejections for physics despite St Andrews claiming that all they ask for is AAAA in one sitting. These people also get unconditionals from Edinburgh and Glasgow if that makes any difference.
Reply 1724
In the end, I got offers from Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Durham and Manchester! :biggrin:

However the lowest offer happens to be Oxford, which is also my first choice, so I don't really get an insurance choice...
Reply 1725
Original post by PsiWave
In the end, I got offers from Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Durham and Manchester! :biggrin:

However the lowest offer happens to be Oxford, which is also my first choice, so I don't really get an insurance choice...

Congrats! :biggrin:

What's your offer from Oxford?
Original post by alow

Jumping in with a guess of:
Oxford:A*AA
Imperial:A*A*A
Manchester:A*A*A
UCL:A*AA
Durham:A*AA
:smile:
Reply 1727
Original post by alow

Thanks! :smile:

It's 15/20 on the french bac. I'll probably insure Manchester as they said they might accept us even if we didn't make the offer.
Original post by PsiWave

Hey, congratulations on your offers!

I was just wondering but when did UCL get back to you? And is it just physics (not theoretical) you applied for?
Reply 1729
Original post by PsiWave

It's 15/20 on the french bac. I'll probably insure Manchester as they said they might accept us even if we didn't make the offer.

You should be able to get that pretty easily!

Yeah Manchester did say that, I doubt the others would let you in if you missed the offer so it's probably best to insure them (not that it'll come to that) :smile:
Rejected from imperial with the nicest rejection email ever :sigh:
Reply 1731
Original post by sjrahman
Rejected from imperial with the nicest rejection email ever :sigh:

Commiserations, the male:female ratio is rubbish anyway! :biggrin:
When did you have your interview?
Original post by Tit
Commiserations, the male:female ratio is rubbish anyway! :biggrin:
When did you have your interview?

No interview :sigh::sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1733
What is your name?
What universities are you interested in?
What are your subjects and hopeful grades for AS and A2?
How many prospectuses have you had all together now?
Any female physicists out there?

My name is Aldaïr
I am interested in applying to Oxford. That is the only uni i am considering currently and believe that i can get in.
:redface:
I will be doing Physics, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry and Computing. My hopeful grades for As Level are AAAAA and at A2 A*A*A*A*
I currently got only one prospectus
I am a Male
:biggrin:
Reply 1734
I don't know whether to firm Durham (I'm going to the post-offer open day later this month, the first time I'll have visited Durham) or Imperial (had my interview last week, assuming I get an offer - most people who are interviewed are offered a place).

Any advice on which I should choose? (Although I know it's obviously my decision, I'd love some help please :tongue: )

Reply 1735
Are you sure most people who are interview get an offer cause my interview in my mind went really bad. This is for imperial btw. Do you know any statistics on it?????
Reply 1736
Original post by tipani
Are you sure most people who are interview get an offer cause my interview in my mind went really bad. This is for imperial btw. Do you know any statistics on it?????

We were told at the interview that around 500 people are interviewed and they expect the intake this year to be 250ish. So at least 50% must get an offer. However, some people will choose a different university instead (e.g. Oxbridge) of firming Imperial. Also, some people will firm Imperial but miss their offer... That means over 50% must get an offer... I don't know how many applicants are actually offered a place though. (I hope what I said above is correct)
Reply 1737
Original post by Jatom
I don't know whether to firm Durham (I'm going to the post-offer open day later this month, the first time I'll have visited Durham) or Imperial (had my interview last week, assuming I get an offer - most people who are interviewed are offered a place).

Any advice on which I should choose? (Although I know it's obviously my decision, I'd love some help please :tongue: )

If you haven't lived in london id say imperial. If you live in london id have a really hard tome choosing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1738
Original post by Goods
If you haven't lived in london id say imperial. If you live in london id have a really hard tome choosing

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only problem I have with Imperial is living in London for at least 3 years (I've never lived in London). I'd rather live in a smaller city like Durham though (I think...) :tongue: I'm confused :s-smilie:
Original post by Jatom
The only problem I have with Imperial is living in London for at least 3 years (I've never lived in London). I'd rather live in a smaller city like Durham though (I think...) :tongue: I'm confused :s-smilie:

I was the same! I initially wanted to go to a campus uni but after visiting London a few times some of the campuses began to seem like they could be quite secluded(Warwick for example). Everyone I've spoken to about living in London has been really encouraging and I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably not going to get the chance to live in London again so I may as well give it a shot! ...Provided I make the grades, that is :P

That's pretty much what you need to chose between because they're both good universities. Also Durham has the collegiate system too? Not sure if that'll be a factor for you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending