Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So like an equation?

I think of roads for some reason! haa

ReputationRep:
    I create a mental diagram of the situation, in full 3D, changing woth time, and with all the labels you'd expect... Well, that's what I do for mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luucyy)
    So like an equation?

I think of roads for some reason! haa
    Lots and lots of ODEs and PDEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    It is frustrating.

You're right! It would be brilliant if they could just have a question where you're given data from an experiment and have to do it like an ISA, but teachers couldn't tell you what to write.
    Yeh it would be so much more fitting :/ oh well we've done it now, don't think I've done too well on it but hopefully I do well in the summer exams to pull it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcitinglyMundane)
    My physics teachers have always been really strict on this. (Although, there was a huge scandal in the biology ISA last year, leading to them all doing EMPAS this year). It just means that this year, now regulations have been tightened up, we're all still prepared!
    Yeh mine too. Ooh really what's EMPAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyW456)
    Yeh mine too. Ooh really what's EMPAS?
    Externally marked practical assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else firmed Hull for physics?

ReputationRep:
    My name is Josh
    I have accepted an unconditional offer for Physics w/ foundation year at The University of Manchester

I got ABC in Maths, Chemistry & Biology, but have spent the last year away from education

I've become really interested in Physics since college, having originally dropped it early in AS (big mistake!)

Can't wait to start now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Received 4 unconditional offers for Physics with a preliminary year (23 years old so I have been out of eduacation a few years, and also messed up my second year of A Levels due to sudden sight loss!)

I have picked Uni of Bristol, and just wanted to see if anyone else on here is starting on the preliminary year?

ReputationRep:
    Just did chem 6x Empa I need some advice on physics Empa thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empahelp)
    Just did chem 6x Empa I need some advice on physics Empa thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey,

id recommend revising unit 4, oh and unit 5

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

In September I'm starting the integrated science foundation year at Manchester Uni. I have A levels in Maths, Bio and Chem, but I'm doing the foundation year because I've had a year out and want to do Physics.

My question is: how hard is physics? We'll be doing material equivalent to a -level standard, I think. I got an A in maths, including an A* in mechanics. How do others who did maths and physics consider the difficulty? Harder than maths? Easier? What are the big differences?

Thanks all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shika222)
    Hi all,

In September I'm starting the integrated science foundation year at Manchester Uni. I have A levels in Maths, Bio and Chem, but I'm doing the foundation year because I've had a year out and want to do Physics.

My question is: how hard is physics? We'll be doing material equivalent to a -level standard, I think. I got an A in maths, including an A* in mechanics. How do others who did maths and physics consider the difficulty? Harder than maths? Easier? What are the big differences?

Thanks all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

You'll be fine with all of the maths content in A Level standard physics, there isn't even any calculus (although I would suspect you'll probably do some). There's really just quite a bit to remember, none of it is particularly hard to get your head around.

I would say it was harder than maths because of the amount of content, definitely not in terms of difficulty/complexity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Hi

You'll be fine with all of the maths content in A Level standard physics, there isn't even any calculus (although I would suspect you'll probably do some). There's really just quite a bit to remember, none of it is particularly hard to get your head around.

I would say it was harder than maths because of the amount of content, definitely not in terms of difficulty/complexity.
    Thanks for the reply
    that's reassuring. Really looking forward to starting now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shika222)
    Hi all,

Thanks all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should be absolutely fine, especially if you were okay with mechanics as personally I found that the mathematical content in even M1 goes beyond the scope of the physics A-level course. Good luck with your foundation year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theshinnbin)
    You should be absolutely fine, especially if you were okay with mechanics as personally I found that the mathematical content in even M1 goes beyond the scope of the physics A-level course. Good luck with your foundation year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you
    I've been looking through some old mechanics papers so hopefully I won't be too rusty!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else firmed Exeter?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heather_2)
    Anyone else firmed Exeter?
    Me!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Although I'm fairly sure I was talking to you on facebook the other night. Please don't use my name on here though :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Me!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Although I'm fairly sure I was talking to you on facebook the other night. Please don't use my name on here though :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I think so and wouldn't!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Anyone firmed University of Manchester?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.