Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think it's good to workout to failure? I know some people seem to still think you can make gains without even getting close but it has always been my target to at least get close to failure. It has always been my theory that if you don't want to cry after a workout then it wasn't a proper workout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Do you guys think it's good to workout to failure? I know some people seem to still think you can make gains without even getting close but it has always been my target to at least get close to failure. It has always been my theory that if you don't want to cry after a workout then it wasn't a proper workout.
    Well being on the verge of crying every workout has it's drawbacks. Your recovery time will suck = less frequency or less quality work in the gym. Mentally, you may not feel "pumped" and enthusiastic before each workout. It might turn in to a drag.

How you feel is not a measure of anything because you can't measure it and everyone reacts differently. The only measures are progressive overload and your weight (by this I'm implying at the mirror too ; sure it's subjective but I think everyone has a good idea of mirror progress).

I don't train to failure. It sometimes happens. No point IMO but not gonna argue with you if that's what you prefer doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I wouldn't as silent ninja said it can make you less likely to continue with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolkid98)
    No I wouldn't as silent ninja said it can make you less likely to continue with it
    I kind of enjoy the pain though, but yeah it does make recovery take a very long time.

ReputationRep:
    Not even sure what people mean by failure...as in doing stupid drop sets after or doing as many reps as possible on a certain weight? If the second one I do that every session for pretty much all compounds. I always do low reps, but I basically work with close to my max weight and max effort for everything....I should probably periodise my programme and do %s etc but I cannot be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of enjoy the pain though, but yeah it does make recovery take a very long time.
    This...I just force myself to keep training even when tired, aching and mentally don't want to. Your body will adapt if you push it and eat enough.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing physiologically special about failure from the point of view of gaining strength or muscle.

As Silent Ninja notes, progression in what you are actually able to lift is the key indicator for those things and thus the key thing to aim for.

If you are training hard and trying to maximise progression, you are bound to hit failure from time to time (especially as a relative beginner when it is harder to gauge how many reps are left) as a consequence anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Also to work to failure do you need to actually fail the lift...or just know you're unable to do another rep, so you stop?

ReputationRep:
    I train to failure, preacher curls ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    Also to work to failure do you need to actually fail the lift...or just know you're unable to do another rep, so you stop?
    Depends how hard I'm going. Ideally I'd actually fail but obviously that's dangerous with things like bench press. Not so much with shoulder press and squats though, it's fairly easy to bail out with them.

Usually I'm not going 100% so I just predict my failure but you never really know unless you try.

ReputationRep:

So you go through mentally and physically draining pain every workout? Even pro athletes don't train like that, but if you can do that every workout despite work/study, family/partner, other commitments, and turning up at the gym half exhausted, then that's impressive.

I'm firmly in the camp of doing as much quality work as possible AS FRESH as possible. Training to failure goes against this and has little to no benefit IMO. It's just not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I always got much bigger gains not quite training to failure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

So you go through mentally and physically draining pain every workout? Even pro athletes don't train like that, but if you can do that every workout despite work/study, family/partner, other commitments, and turning up at the gym half exhausted, then that's impressive.

I'm firmly in the camp of doing as much quality work as possible AS FRESH as possible. Training to failure goes against this and has little to no benefit IMO. It's just not necessary.
    I think a lot of athletes do push themselves every main workout...they will just do recovery sessions between. Plenty of powerlifters, olympic lifters, strongmen etc push it every session....then middle distance runners do definitely. Some people are just mentally tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    I think a lot of athletes do push themselves every main workout...they will just do recovery sessions between. Plenty of powerlifters, olympic lifters, strongmen etc push it every session....then middle distance runners do definitely. Some people are just mentally tough.
    I don't think they do. Their programmes are designed to peak at the right time. A boxer wouldn't train the way he does in his last two months all year round, nor would've any of the track athletes who performed in the Olympics. The build up events coincide with them upping the intensity of their workouts. You can't operate at your peak in anything all year round.

Anyway I understand we're talking about recreational lifters but by the same token maxing out every session and training to failure sounds like madness. If you can do that then great, but personally I like volume sessions, lighter sessions and deloads thrown in the mix.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.