Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Say you got accepted by ONE choice on UCAS, unsuccessful on the other 4... and wanted to re-apply for other courses using the Clearing process... Could I accept my offer from that one university directly rather than through UCAS, to keep that option open, while using Clearing to apply for 5 new ones? Also, with Clearing, can you change your personal statement before re-applying?

Any help or advice appreciated,
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxcasdqwe)
    Say you got accepted by ONE choice on UCAS, unsuccessful on the other 4... and wanted to re-apply for other courses using the Clearing process... Could I accept my offer from that one university directly rather than through UCAS, to keep that option open, while using Clearing to apply for 5 new ones?
    It would be up to the university you have an offer from, but almost certainly not :no:

Also, with Clearing, can you change your personal statement before re-applying?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Why is UCAS so restrictive? What if you have more than one interest?

ReputationRep:
    Why is UCAS so restrictive? What if you have more than one interest?
    At some point you have to choose what it is you want to study. With the system as it is, you really have to do that before you apply so you can write your PS accordingly.

Your personal statement isn't massively important when it comes to Clearing, but if you want to apply for a completely different course there's nothing to stop you writing a second personal statement and offering to email it to the universities you're interested in. They'll still be able to see the original though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for the response. What if (i'm only waiting on one final choices decision), what if I were to accept my offer as soon as possible, be done with UCAS. Then re-register or something to apply for the Clearing process (June-Sep)... Current students are allowed to apply elsewhere yes?

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for the response. What if (i'm only waiting on one final choices decision), what if I were to accept my offer as soon as possible, be done with UCAS. Then re-register or something to apply for the Clearing process (June-Sep)... Current students are allowed to apply elsewhere yes?
    You can only apply using account per applications cycle, or you risk voiding one/all of your applications.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I've kinda messed up with my choices and application, and hate that it's another whole year of my life before I get another try...

ReputationRep:
    You could try to study abroad! Many countries now offer courses in english, and their application deadlines are later than those in the UK. If you don't go abroad, I'm afraid you'll have to accept your offer or apply through clearing. If you don't want to do that you could still take a gap year there are many interesting things you could do in a gap year If you get organised it doesn't have to be a waste of time!

ReputationRep:
    Would the Uni who made me an offer really cancel it if I emailed them and said I'd like to accept the offer, but have deleted my UCAS application by mistake?

Would they really care how I respond to an offer?

ReputationRep:
    With clearing you don't need a personal statement. So for example, if you applied for maths through UCAS and then on results day change your mind and decide to do English, you just call up the Uni that you want to go to and they will usually give you a 5 min phone interview to decide if you sound right for them and then that's it. So, firm your offer, but you this doesn't mean that you have to go there, you can retract at any time.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to check Clearing out and see if there's anything on there that I like, but this 1 acceptance offer disqualifies me from eligibility. I'm looking for help with accepting that offer but outwith UCAS, to keep that as an option, while being eligible to late-apply for other courses.

ReputationRep:
    Would the Uni who made me an offer really cancel it if I emailed them and said I'd like to accept the offer, but have deleted my UCAS application by mistake?

Would they really care how I respond to an offer?
    Not really going to work

Do you like the university that has made an offer ... if so accept and get the grades

If you do not like it then reject it and look at extra

ReputationRep:
    I'm not mad on it tbh. But it may be my only option. What if I cancel it and see nothing suitable on Clearing or Extra? or I don't get accepted. Year wasted.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not mad on it tbh. But it may be my only option. What if I cancel it and see nothing suitable on Clearing or Extra? or I don't get accepted. Year wasted.
    hmmmmmmm

1 year wasted or 3 years wasted

ReputationRep:
    I think you can ask the units if they have spaces in Extra and if they're likely to accept you before you decline all your offers.
    Don't look at it as a year wasted. See it as a year of opportunity! I applied in 2008 originally and withdrew my offer because a job opportunity came up. I was only going to do it for a year then reapply for 2009, but as I started my job, opportunities to study for more qualifications came up and I now have 5 years work experience behind me going into uni this year!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You can check Extra vacancies before you cancel your choice. You don't even have to log into Track - just do the UCAS course search and tick the box saying "Extra only"

Sent from my GT-S5363

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.