Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why are looks held in such high regard Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you are good looking - you are lucky, plain and simple.

Your parents gave birth to a good looking child. Being you.

If you are ugly, you are unlucky.

If you are average, you are "ok"

It is all a genetic lottery. It's not like going into a car showroom, and you can choose which model car you want. If you were born a ford focus or a skoda, unlucky. I guess you can get cosmetic surgery/use photo shop/ or wear make up, which is the equvilent of modding the car.

Yet people are not only judgemental, but take pride in their appearance and put others down.

Furthermore, your body is temporary thing. Chances are when you get old, you will lose your looks. Then what? The body is just a means to do our humanly functions.

I have never understood why people are so looks obsessed, it is kinda like being proud that you are wealthy, but actually you are living off your parents wealth. Again out of luck.

Illogical.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find it in people considered not remotely attractive, usually moreso than those who are.

ReputationRep:
    Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)

It is all a genetic lottery. It's not like going into a car showroom, and you can choose which model car you want. If you were born a ford focus or a skoda, unlucky. I guess you can get cosmetic surgery/use photo shop/ or wear make up, which is the equvilent of modding the car.

Yet people are not only judgemental, but take pride in their appearance and put others down.

Furthermore, your body is temporary thing. Chances are when you get old, you will lose your looks. Then what? The body is just a means to do our humanly functions.

I have never understood why people are so looks obsessed, it is kinda like being proud that you are wealthy, but actually you are living off your parents wealth. Again out of luck.

Illogical.
    Looks are opinionated. Someone might find you fugly and someone else might think you're outstanding. For example, a girl I fancy in my eyes is a straight 10, but all of my friends thinks she's only a 6 on a good day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enthusiastic A)
    Looks are opinionated. Someone might find you fugly and someone else might think you're outstanding. For example, a girl I fancy in my eyes is a straight 10, but all of my friends thinks she's only a 6 on a good day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but you get some people who are not your type, where who you look at can say to yourself "they are good looking".

models, some actors - George Clooney, Tom cruise. etc

ReputationRep:

Illogical.

Because it looks good.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is skin deep. I think men are drawn to what is visually stimulating and women are more concerned with being secure.
    But you are right, looks fade, but we live in a shallow world.

ReputationRep:
    Because people subconsciously want to pass on the good genes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thebreeze8)
    Beauty is skin deep. I think men are drawn to what is visually stimulating and women are more concerned with being secure.
    But you are right, looks fade, but we live in a shallow world.
    I think most women are just as shallow as men.

And it reflects by most ladies men, being traditionally good looking.

At least with a lot of my good looking mates - they have no problem with hooking up with girls, if anything - the girl does a lot of the work for him.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it has to do with confidence and not caring too much about what other people think of you. The way in which you act can affect other people's perceptions of you.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of cars and metaphors, the mechanics are also very important. Beautiful cars malfunction as regular ones. The end, they all end up in the dump. Beautiful people also lose their looks. But charm never dies. Unfortunately, some beautiful people are just pretty faces and have nothing to show for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_sl)
    Speaking of cars and metaphors, the mechanics are also very important. Beautiful cars malfunction as regular ones. The end, they all end up in the dump. Beautiful people also lose their looks. But charm never dies. Unfortunately, some beautiful people are just pretty faces and have nothing to show for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's your favourite car model?

Thing is though - if the guy is an aston martin, bit hard to beat that, dont you think?

ReputationRep:
    Wtf is wrong with ford focuses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    Wtf is wrong with ford focuses?
    chav car

ReputationRep:

At least with a lot of my good looking mates - they have no problem with hooking up with girls, if anything - the girl does a lot of the work for him.
    I disagree. Looks can;t get you that far with women, it's more confidence, and naturalness. Not to mention having a good career etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_sl)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some beautiful people aren't happy or confident either.

ReputationRep:
    chav car
    http://vehiclemy.com/model/Ford-Focus.html

They are hardly ugly cars as your initial post implied. Naming it 'chav' is also implying all chavs are ugly. Naming a whole social group as ugly? Something tells me your difficulties with women goes beyond the way you look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    http://vehiclemy.com/model/Ford-Focus.html

They are hardly ugly cars as your initial post implied. Naming it 'chav' is also implying all chavs are ugly. Naming a whole social group as ugly? Something tells me your difficulties with women goes beyond the way you look.
    there was a hint of sarcasm in my post.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    We're all shallow at some level, even if some of us have a hard time admitting it. Your initial attraction to a person, more often that not is because of their appealing physical appearance, just the way we're configured I guess.

ReputationRep:

There's a bit of cause and affect here though- a lot of these guys get girls because they are confident more than because of their looks. Out of my friends, the biggest player is a very average looking guy. If you can put yourself forward with great confidence, you will get laid. Girls can have no personality or confidence, and they will get lots of offers. Looks are a good advantage, but no where near what they are for girls.

Not that women aren't as shallow- but more with bank balances. Luckily, that doesn't really start until people are a bit older.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.