Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why are looks held in such high regard Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    I think most women are just as shallow as men.

And it reflects by most ladies men, being traditionally good looking.

At least with a lot of my good looking mates - they have no problem with hooking up with girls, if anything - the girl does a lot of the work for him.
    Yeah because you never see couples that are mismatched in terms of looks. Not.

ReputationRep:
    Is this something to do with your name being fat hobbit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Yeah because you never see couples that are mismatched in terms of looks. Not.
    I never said that never happens. Of course it does. IT is just likely these guys got lucky, and wont be able to consistently pull stunner's like the Tom Cruises in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    There's a bit of cause and affect here though- a lot of these guys get girls because they are confident more than because of their looks. Out of my friends, the biggest player is a very average looking guy. If you can put yourself forward with great confidence, you will get laid. Girls can have no personality or confidence, and they will get lots of offers. Looks are a good advantage, but no where near what they are for girls.

Not that women aren't as shallow- but more with bank balances. Luckily, that doesn't really start until people are a bit older.
    Fat_hobbit tip 101

Never tell a girl your bank balance, if anything, act like a charming tramp.

That way, you will attract the down to earth types

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading an article some time ago that suggested the reason we may find symmetry (which is what they put 'beauty' down to) more attractive because in our minds we associate it (from an evolutionary standpoint) as being healthy, and we would like to have a healthy partner to mate with. A similar suggestion was proposed for why some men desire large breasts - it shows the woman would be able to 'feed their young' - but I reckon that one is pushing it.

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk...-symmetry.html

ReputationRep:
    I never said that never happens. Of course it does. IT is just likely these guys got lucky, and wont be able to consistently pull stunner's like the Tom Cruises in the world.
    It's not to do with luck its to do with personality, if you have a good personality you'll do fine.

Also in my opinion Tom Cruise is pretty grimtastic.

ReputationRep:
    It's not to do with luck its to do with personality, if you have a good personality you'll do fine.

Also in my opinion Tom Cruise is pretty grimtastic.
    You can't tell how good someone's personality is in a club.

And besides, I bet you dont date every guy that has a "good personality", you have to feel physically attracted to them, otherwise they are a friend.

ReputationRep:
    I've had enough successes and failures to know that I place in the average looking bracket... honestly never once have I encountered a situation where a relationship both friendship and higher with a girl failed because I wasn't hot enough. In fact they failed because sometimes habitual parts of mine and the other parties personalities clashed majorly.

I question whether people are putting themselves out there enough... because you will be seriously surprised how much 'looks' are not the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    Because life sucks.

Personality can only get you so far , same with confidence etc. You can be the most confident guy in the world , but if she isn't attracted to you then she isn't going to fall for you , she will simply be denying her values if she does this.

Im quite a confident guy , moreso than many of my male friends some of whom are (no homo) much better looking than me . Yet whilst I have taken chances and been rejected , they can act however they like , be as shy as they like and they get girls flocking to them .

Personality cant compensate for being below average , not at this age anyway .

ReputationRep:
    You can't tell how good someone's personality is in a club.

And besides, I bet you dont date every guy that has a "good personality", you have to feel physically attracted to them, otherwise they are a friend.
    I find it very easy to tell someones personality in a club based on how seriously they take themself.

MY friends are friends because I met them when I wasn't looking for a serious relationship. Once I am friends with someone I never get attracted to them even if I initially found them aesthetically attractive

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Society in the Debate & Current affairs section (from Relationships)

ReputationRep:
    What's your favourite car model?

Thing is though - if the guy is an aston martin, bit hard to beat that, dont you think?
    I'm happy with a Seat Leon, but I like the Scrion FS from this year. when it comes to cars and men, as long as it takes me where I want to go (here I go again with the metaphors), there shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I find it very easy to tell someones personality in a club based on how seriously they take themself.
    Wow. **** me. That is amazing. Something tells me that you misjudging a lot of people.

And in a club, a lot of people are drunk. And you can't even have a conversation.

Infact I have strong suspicion you have never been in a club with such a ridiculous statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Wow. **** me. That is amazing. Something tells me that you misjudging a lot of people.

And in a club, a lot of people are drunk. And you can't even have a conversation.

Infact I have strong suspicion you have never been in a club with such a ridiculous statement.
    Well I haven't been particularly wrong yet and I got to know a fair amount of people at first in a club situation.

It's not difficult to read someone just because they are having to shout in your ear rather than talk in a normal voice.

I go clubbing all the time, at undergrad about 3 times a week, now about once a week
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's an innate bias in humans to place a high degree of importance on physical appearances because of the role it traditionally played as a heuristic in determining genetic 'value' in terms of expected probability of evolutionary success under the pressures existing in the ancestral environment. It exists as something to be overcome.

ReputationRep:
    Human nature. There is no other reason, is there?

We naturally gravitate towards looks.

And it's entirely for this reason why looks matter.

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't been particularly wrong yet and I got to know a fair amount of people at first in a club situation.

It's not difficult to read someone just because they are having to shout in your ear rather than talk in a normal voice.

I go clubbing all the time, at undergrad about 3 times a week, now about once a week
    So a 5 minute conversation with someone in a clubbing environment, where a) they may be drunk or b) could be nervous/shy or unable to fully express themselves like in a relaxed environment turns you into an expert with regards to their personality?

...yeah, right.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but you get some people who are not your type, where who you look at can say to yourself "they are good looking".

models, some actors - George Clooney, Tom cruise. etc
    For the average male aged 18-30, looks theory prevails every time whether you like it or not. It's just most people refuse to agree with it because of an understandable moral objection.
    Are you familiar with the www.puahate.com forum? Granted, it is literally the most hostile forum I have ever seen, and most of it's members have some degree of mental instability but the argument they present regarding looks has a significant degree of credibility and truth behind it.
    I only spent a couple of days on there and have not been on since as I think it's actually very dangerous for your mental state, especially if you have even the slightest insecurity. Either way it opens your eyes to the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD2112)
    For the average male aged 18-30, looks theory prevails every time whether you like it or not. It's just most people refuse to agree with it because of an understandable moral objection.
    Are you familiar with the www.puahate.com forum? Granted, it is literally the most hostile forum I have ever seen, and most of it's members have some degree of mental instability but the argument they present regarding looks has a significant degree of credibility and truth behind it.
    I only spent a couple of days on there and have not been on since as I think it's actually very dangerous for your mental state, especially if you have even the slightest insecurity. Either way it opens your eyes to the truth.
    I checked it out once - pretty ****ed up place. I couldn't handle the negativity there.

I remember there was this one poster who was so looks obsessed, ironically, when he finally posted his pics up, he was actually good looking.

ReputationRep:
    I checked it out once - pretty ****ed up place. I couldn't handle the negativity there.

I remember there was this one poster who was so looks obsessed, ironically, when he finally posted his pics up, he was actually good looking.
    Yeh I can imagine it's the worst place possible for someone who has hang up's about how they look; yet it's surprising to see how much of it holds up in real life situations.
    Their standards are incredibly high and are based around detailed scientific facial proportions so I doubt anyone who isn't a male model would score higher than a 7/8.
    I blocked the site after seeing them mentally torture some guy called jsanza over like 300 pages to the point that it was obvious the guy was heading for some serious mental issues. Horrible to see.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.