Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why are looks held in such high regard Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    So a 5 minute conversation with someone in a clubbing environment, where a) they may be drunk or b) could be nervous/shy or unable to fully express themselves like in a relaxed environment turns you into an expert with regards to their personality?

...yeah, right.
    I've never met anyone that was still particularly nervous or shy once they were drunk enough to be in a **** club. You'd just go home surely...

Who said 5 minutes? I talk to people for 1/2 an hour + a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I've never met anyone that was still particularly nervous or shy once they were drunk enough to be in a **** club. You'd just go home surely...

Who said 5 minutes? I talk to people for 1/2 an hour + a lot of the time.
    I am the shy type in clubs, but clearly I am very opinionated when I get to know someone or on here.

When I am out clubbing, I normally stay the night because I am often out with friends.

So, you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Because humans are shallow and drawn to pretty things..... Most people prefer cute fluffy animals to reptiles, most people are drawn to brands with nice colourful packaging rather than plain packaging, even though the contents may be the same.

Probably a subconscious thing-we want our partners to be healthy in order to reproduce good genetics and someone who's fat and covered in blemishes isn't going to do that.

Personally, I can find someone good looking where others can't-a lot of people have said my current partner isn't attractive enough for me, but I think he's gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD2112)
    Yeh I can imagine it's the worst place possible for someone who has hang up's about how they look; yet it's surprising to see how much of it holds up in real life situations.
    Their standards are incredibly high and are based around detailed scientific facial proportions so I doubt anyone who isn't a male model would score higher than a 7/8.
    I blocked the site after seeing them mentally torture some guy called jsanza over like 300 pages to the point that it was obvious the guy was heading for some serious mental issues. Horrible to see.
    Yeah I saw that - their standards being really high.

It was quite sickening tbh. Considering that:

- not everybody is going to look like a model, because if everybody did we would all be models.

When it comes to looks - as a guy, all we can really do is do the best with what we have, that's it

You got the link for jsenza.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD2112)
    Yeh I can imagine it's the worst place possible for someone who has hang up's about how they look; yet it's surprising to see how much of it holds up in real life situations.
    Their standards are incredibly high and are based around detailed scientific facial proportions so I doubt anyone who isn't a male model would score higher than a 7/8.
    I blocked the site after seeing them mentally torture some guy called jsanza over like 300 pages to the point that it was obvious the guy was heading for some serious mental issues. Horrible to see.
    Found it:

http://puahate.com/showthread.php?t=58384&page=2

God they are ****ing harsh. The guy is no way a 4 - a 6 when he smiles with his teeth.

He will probably look better as he grows older, looks like he is in the awkward teen stage.

Looks like they are reinforcing his limiting belief with the constant barrage of "you are a 4"

ReputationRep:
    I am the shy type in clubs, but clearly I am very opinionated when I get to know someone or on here.

When I am out clubbing, I normally stay the night because I am often out with friends.

So, you are wrong.
    Well surely the fact you cant pull has far more to do with being shy than your looks? Id be far more likely to pull an ugly outgoing person than a shy good looking one.

ReputationRep:
    Well surely the fact you cant pull has far more to do with being shy than your looks? Id be far more likely to pull an ugly outgoing person than a shy good looking one.
    I recently broke up with my ex girlfriend, so haven't been in the right frame of mind to pull. If you really want to know.

I generally have no problems with befriending people outside of her. Im quite likeable. And I am not silly enough to believe that girls are going to date every guy that is friendly to them, they put guys in 2 categories "a friend", and "boyfriend" material. My ex did this all the time.

When I have spoken to girls in clubs, it has been in the smoking area - often we have good banter, but it goes nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    those people who judge you by your looks are shallow

ReputationRep:
    I recently broke up with my ex girlfriend, so haven't been in the right frame of mind to pull. If you really want to know.

I generally have no problems with befriending people outside of her. Im quite likeable. And I am not silly enough to believe that girls are going to date every guy that is friendly to them, they put guys in 2 categories "a friend", and "boyfriend" material. My ex did this all the time.

When I have spoken to girls in clubs, it has been in the smoking area - often we have good banter, but it goes nowhere.
    None of your experiences relate to people not liking you because of your looks though, you have already said you are shy and not in the right frame of mind, so what makes you think it's your looks?

ReputationRep:
    None of your experiences relate to people not liking you because of your looks though, you have already said you are shy and not in the right frame of mind, so what makes you think it's your looks?
    Because I have friends who look like models, are less confident then me, and get girls easily. The girl does all the work for him and when he acts shy, they try harder!!

I am not ugly , average looking. It just means I have to work harder. That's the reality of ****.

Edit:

I'm very confident when I have to be. I.e. when I'm forced to converse.

ReputationRep:
    Because I have friends who look like models, are less confident then me, and get girls easily. The girl does all the work for him and when he acts shy, they try harder!!

I am not ugly , average looking. It just means I have to work harder. That's the reality of ****.

Edit:

I'm very confident when I have to be. I.e. when I'm forced to converse.
    I have some very attractive male friends who rarely get any due to being shy, It doesn't fall in your lap unless you actually have model good looks.

ReputationRep:
    I have some very attractive male friends who rarely get any due to being shy, It doesn't fall in your lap unless you actually have model good looks.
    yeah well your word against mine - i have seen it with my own eyes.

ReputationRep:
    yeah well your word against mine - i have seen it with my own eyes.
    Well you said your friends have model good looks...

ReputationRep:
    I definitely get more attention from girls now that I started to take care of myself. The worrying thing is that a lot of them have boyfriends :/

I was walking down the road the other day and I caught this girl checking me out. I gave her this arrogant smile and walked along but her boyfriend was walking right behind her and saw me doing that. I felt like total **** for the rest of the day tbh. I'd hate it if that happened to me. I really hope he gets a better girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Well you said your friends have model good looks...
    indeed. Although I will take back my earlier statement - wouldn't say they all have model looks, they are above average.

by the way your very attractive friends getting chatted up are probably not as good looking as you think they are if they are not getting girls chat them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    I definitely get more attention from girls now that I started to take care of myself. The worrying thing is that a lot of them have boyfriends :/

I was walking down the road the other day and I caught this girl checking me out. I gave her this arrogant smile and walked along but her boyfriend was walking right behind her and saw me doing that. I felt like total **** for the rest of the day tbh. I'd hate it if that happened to me. I really hope he gets a better girlfriend.
    It helps man, I recently got my jaw fixed. Orthodontics treatment. The other week, I had a girl ask for my number on a night out, that never ever has happened like ever. She was very hot too.

If I looked like ****, like I did before, she would have friends zoned me quickly given that I was very quiet and sober that night.

I dont blame girls for it, us guys judge women all the time.

ReputationRep:
    indeed. Although I will take back my earlier statement - wouldn't say they all have model looks, they are above average.

by the way your very attractive friends getting chatted up are probably not as good looking as you think they are if they are not getting girls chat them up.
    They do get chatted up but the girls tend to dissappear pretty quick when they find out how shy they are. OR just scab drinks off them.

Anyway getting chatted up all the time gets very tedious very quickly, appreciate being in control of when it happens!

ReputationRep:
    They do get chatted up but the girls tend to dissappear pretty quick when they find out how shy they are. OR just scab drinks off them.

Terrible, shallow biatches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)

Being attached doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it is evolution. Good looking people won the genetic lottery due to luck, but they'd put down ugly people to further the gap between their good looking self and the ugly people.

Probably how **** works, and we don't even realize it.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.