Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why are looks held in such high regard Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    I reckon it is evolution. Good looking people won the genetic lottery due to luck, but they'd put down ugly people to further the gap between their good looking self and the ugly people.

Probably how **** works, and we don't even realize it.
    TBH most good looking people I know dont even bother to put people down, because they get a lot of positive reinforcement, it's like what's the point for many of them? So they spend their time doing other ****.

With that said, I do know one guy, model looking - who is very shallow to the point that if a girl has one spot, he picks on her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    TBH most good looking people I know dont even bother to put people down, because they get a lot of positive reinforcement, it's like what's the point for many of them? So they spend their time doing other ****.

With that said, I do know one guy, model looking - who is very shallow to the point that if a girl has one spot, he picks on her.
    "Yet people are not only judgemental, but take pride in their appearance and put others down."

*confused* why did you make this thread then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    "Yet people are not only judgemental, but take pride in their appearance and put others down."

*confused* why did you make this thread then?
    It happens.

ReputationRep:
    Found it:

http://puahate.com/showthread.php?t=58384&page=2

God they are ****ing harsh. The guy is no way a 4 - a 6 when he smiles with his teeth.

He will probably look better as he grows older, looks like he is in the awkward teen stage.

Looks like they are reinforcing his limiting belief with the constant barrage of "you are a 4"
    Nah he's like 21 and still hasn't finished high school :/. He obviously had ocd and self esteem issues before he even joined that forum, it's just they exploited it to the absolute extreme. As harsh as it sounds, their ranking was pretty accurate. Dude was pretty ugly tbh. He should never have been there in the first place; I dread to think whats happened to him.

ReputationRep:
    Terrible, shallow biatches.
    Why shouldn't you be shallow if your just looking to sleep with someone though? Your standards will obviously be a lot higher as you dont get much benefit from personality. They might be the least shallow person when it comes to relationships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Why shouldn't you be shallow if your just looking to sleep with someone though? Your standards will obviously be a lot higher as you dont get much benefit from personality. They might be the least shallow person when it comes to relationships.
    That's fair enough, but fleecing a guy out of his drinks is cheeky as hell tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD2112)
    Nah he's like 21 and still hasn't finished high school :/. He obviously had ocd and self esteem issues before he even joined that forum, it's just they exploited it to the absolute extreme. As harsh as it sounds, their ranking was pretty accurate. Dude was pretty ugly tbh. He should never have been there in the first place; I dread
    to think whats happened to him.
    The I didn't think he was extremely ugly.

He just looked like another dude. Granted not the most handsome one, but I think that goes to show how subjective looks are.

ReputationRep:
    That's fair enough, but fleecing a guy out of his drinks is cheeky as hell tbh

Yeah to be fair I dont accept drinks off guys even if I do like them

ReputationRep:
    It depends if you're only talking 'good looks', which are subjective regardless. Evidently you can't help how you're born, but why should it be an issue? There are other factors outwith someone's natural persona that speak volumes to their character, particularly how they dress, the music they listen to, how they speak and their sense of humour. You get what people would perceive to be good-looking (both men and women), who cn turn out being the blandest people imaginable. I don't think it's as big a deal as is being made out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Yeah to be fair I dont accept drinks off guys even if I do like them
    Reminds me of the time when a Slovakian girl stole my bubble gum from my hand, to which she followed it with a kiss on the cheeks and then ran off.

...women :rolleyes:

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.