Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Analogue vs Digital Scales Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering, are digital scales more accurate than analogue ones?

I'm currently using an analogue and I find that my weight can vary (in the same day) as much as 0.5 stone, that can't be right, right?

ReputationRep:
    The only sure fire way to see if your scales are working correctly is to get a couple of weights that you know the weight of (a couple of 2 litre milk bottles does the trick for me. 2l = 2kg) and stick them on the scales and read the results.

With analogue scales, they usually have a wheel on the back or side of it so you can calibrate it to zero. With digital ones, you can only replace the battery in it if it goes wonky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    I'm just wondering, are digital scales more accurate than analogue ones?
    I find that cheap analogue > cheap digital.

Never tried any expensive digital one so I wouldn't know.

(Original post by Yawn11)
    I'm currently using an analogue and I find that my weight can vary (in the same day) as much as 0.5 stone, that can't be right, right?
    Of course your weight can vary that much in a day. Most people wake up a little dehydrated, take a dump and then at that point, you will probably be pretty light. All the food and water you drink throughout the day will fill you back up again.

Anyway, a better way to see how reliable the scale is is to weigh yourself several times within a short time span. If your weight is .5 stone more or less five minutes after weighing yourself the first time, then the scales are probably ****e.

My missus has ****ty digital scales and if you step on it twice (i.e. step on, step off and go straight back on) the measurement is often up to +/- 5lbs different. Haven't seen analogue scales so bad.

ReputationRep:
    I have this bad boy. It's pretty darn accurate. I weigh myself 3 times and it hasn't fluctuated more than 100g. The only negative is that it doesn't do imperial units, but that doesn't bother me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0033AGBW..._am_gb?ie=UTF8

All scales should be used on a hard surface btw. I don't get these negative reviews when they were trying them on carpet lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone recommend a cheap but accurate scale that does bodyfat?

ReputationRep:
    No scale can measure bodyfat very accurately. Electrical impedance isn't very accurate as it is affected significantly by how hydrated you are.

ReputationRep:
    Digital scales are more precise than analogue ones in the sense that they are much easier to read: a slight change of the angle at which you look at analogue scales will affect the value you read off. Your weight will vary massively throughout the day, and this is why you should always weigh yourself in the same condition every time (e.g. same time of day, same clothing [or lack thereof], same time relative to bowel movements etc. etc.) and weigh yourself as often as possible to reduce random error.

I have an own-brand set of digital scales and they are very reliable. They always give a reading that is a few kg too high when I first step on them, but repeat readings almost invariably come up the same as the second I take. Whether or not scales are "accurate" is completely irrelevant to an amateur; it is only the CHANGE in weight that we're interested in if we aren't competing, and this will be unaffected by any linear systematic error.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.