Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Ok so one of my best friend's who I've known for 9 years told me he loved me on the 14th of February (it's just a coincidence that it was Valentines Day). Anyway he didn't ask me out until the 22nd. When he did ask me out I said yes. We were dating for a few weeks and then my dad found out. Now we both go to the same church and our parents are very religious.last Sunday, my dad spoke to the guy and I at church at expressed his concerns. My dad thinks the guy has taken advantage of me. This is because I am 15 an he is 17. We never did anything of a sexual nature. My bf and I were not allowed to talk this week. Now I know he wants to talk to me but we have no way of communicating. He wasn't even allowed to visit me when I was put into hospital this week for 4 days. I don't know what to do and if I was taken advantage of. Please help!
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    They might just be worried about the sexual intimacy that you might get into. You're under 16 but he's 17 so that's a cause of concern for them. If you both can convince them that you're not wanting to engage in any sexual activities (until at least you turn 16! ), they should be fine with it.

Thats true. We've now been together for just under 7 months and things have been rocky. He's 18 now and heading off to Emmanuel college, Cambridge uni , in October but has asked em to marry him once i turn 16. Our parents found out his plans and as usual have gone into protective mode. My dad believes that he is scared o lose me and thats why he's doing this. What shall I do again? Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he is too old but I do think he is bat **** crazy.

Why would you want to be with someone who says he loves you before you've even dated and wants to marry you before you're even 16?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick Wallace)
    I don't think he is too old but I do think he is bat **** crazy.

Why would you want to be with someone who says he loves you before you've even dated and wants to marry you before you're even 16?
    This

He might not be taking advantage of you, but it doesn't sound like he thinks very long before making life-changing decisions. If you get married at 16, that is supposedly for another... 60+ years? When you've only spent a few months as a couple? I wouldn't be keen on it even if you weren't really young, but you are. And also if things have been rocky... can you imagine them being okay and making you happy for the rest of your life?

Honestly normally I would say that your parents are overreacting because they always see their children as kids well into the stage when they're more adult than child, but the fact that you haven't already run away screaming from a guy that wants you to marry him at 16 is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    Definitelyyy do not get married at 16. For two reasons:
    Youre too young, hormones etc may affect how you think you feel about him, wait till you're more mature
    And you've only been together 7 months, so it would only be a few months before you turn 16, thats really not long. The honeymoon stage usually ends after 1-2 years, so wait till then at least and see if you still want to be together for the rest of your lives
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.