Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Human Rights Act to be scrapped... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just heard TM on the news that they are looking to scrap this. About time too. Well, not simply scrap it, but do away with the current form and we re-write our own version to meet the needs and best interests of the majority of people who live here.

One of the big problems with the current state of affairs are the completely perverse ways that it has been interpreted.

EDIT - Most people objecting to this have missed the point in its entirety. The suggestion is not, and never has been to abandon human rights. The issue is the nature of those rights and the people to whom they are applied and when.

Some will obviously argue that rights are universal, and that this is a conclusion that may not be challenged. Yet there are many legitimate and entirely cogent opposing positions.

Many people believe in a communitarian perspective, such rights are contingent on collaboration with society, and may be forfeit.

The HRA was no doubt well intended, but has shown itself to be not fit for purpose in its current incarnation as it has been widely open to abuse, since it turns on its head the values of fairness and common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Don't we already have our own Human Rights Act? The one from 1998?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Just heard TM on the news that they are looking to scrap this. About time too. Well, not simply scrap it, but do away with the current form and we re-write our own version to meet the needs and best interests of the majority of people who live here.

One of the big problems with the current state of affairs are the completely perverse ways that it has been interpreted.
    Nice to see that the government wants to put money in lawyers' pockets again after all the bother with legal aid. This will be a nice little earner.

What do you mean that isn't what she intends?

She has all these advisers. She must know that this will be the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    Finally- it's a bit silly when you can't even deport a terrorist! I was watching that too but she said the Conservatives would have to get a majority in 2015 first.

Also, to be a member of the EU don't you need to also be a member of the ECHR? What would/will happen if/when we leave- would/will the EU kick us out?

ReputationRep:
    Human Rights in this country is ridiculous, no common sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    good...humans don't deserve them. They are scum and are destroying the planet.

ReputationRep:
    Why am I the only person who finds this a bad thing (and supports human rights)?

ReputationRep:
    I have very little faith that the government will replace it with something better. I predict they will completely **** this up and we will just end up losing yet more rights and freedoms instead of gaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Human Rights in this country is ridiculous, no common sense at all.
    Please provide an example.

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with you people?

How can you say the HRA is a bad thing?

And replacing with a Bill of Rights will totally screw things up

ReputationRep:
    The human rights act is so bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

About time -UK needs to claim back sovereignty from the EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    I have very little faith that the government will replace it with something better. I predict they will completely **** this up and we will just end up losing yet more rights and freedoms instead of gaining.
    Clearly, why else would they be doing it? Can't trust these Tories.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2013/m...s-human-rights

It's not being scrapped, they're just feuding over the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Why have you made the same thread twice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    good...humans don't deserve them. They are scum and are destroying the planet.
    They...you aren't one of us? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    They'll need to do more than simply repeal Labour's 1998 Human Rights Act to escape the jurisdiction of the European Convention (and Court) of Human Rights, which was entrenched/made mandatory for EU member states via the Lisbon Treaty (signed for the UK by Brown in 2009).

The UK will have to leave the European Union. Otherwise it is just more worthless rhetoric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hexagon999)
    Why have you made the same thread twice?
    I intended to put it in News and Current Affairs rather than UK Politics, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I intended to put it in News and Current Affairs rather than UK Politics, sorry.
    That was pointless to make it again

ReputationRep:
    i have the right to human rights

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.