Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

I have a million pounds Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    Hello everybody. This thread will apply to your everyday life, and it will hopefully wake you into observing yourself and your life. This thread can be applied to many others on TSR, e.g. Is Bin Laden dead? Does God Exist? Was Mohammad a peado? Was 9/11 an inside job? There will be answers in this thread that completely refute any conclusion that the prevously mentioned threads have come to.

So, as per the title:

I have 1 million GBP cash in a chest. This chest sits right next to me as I type this thread.

This is my claim. You can say that the burden of proof falls on me to prove it, in which case this wouldn't be a very interesting thread. Now I am asking you, the reader:

How can you prove to YOURSELF, beyond all reasonable doubt, that I am telling the TRUTH? How can you prove beyond all reasonable doubt that I have £ 1 million in a chest?

There are no real right or wrong answers, people will accept whichever answer makes logical sense to them. I stress to anyone who would like to answer: Be logical. There is nothing wrong with being wrong.
    You don't, you're a cat :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    See the OP's other posts and threads. He's a troll. If not, then he's just a prick.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Post a picture, which would at least give some evidence. Although I guess it could still be photoshopped/ the notes could be fakes.
    Perhaps you could explain logically why you have all that money sitting in a chest on your desk rather than gaining interest in the bank, where it came from, and why you feel the need to tell TSR about it.
    Personally, I think the best option to convince me would be to post me said chest, thus allowing me to test each note...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Please post a picture.

If you post a picture, I believe you have it. If you don't post a picture, you don't have it.
    These are fair requests but I'm sorry to say that I don't have a photo.

However, that I do not have a photo tells you one thing:

I do not have a photo.

Also, asking for a photograph in my eyes is not beyond reasonable doubt. The photo could be of someone else's million pound chest, or it could be completely doctored altogether. If a photograph is beyond reasonable doubt in your eyes then fine, but not in mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul M)
    See the OP's other posts and threads. He's a troll. If not, then he's just a prick.
    that's nice. I don't mind being a prick in your eyes but I cannot take the insult of troll. What about the other threads have been "trolling" ?

ReputationRep:
    monopoly money doesn't count as having a million pounds . . .
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)

I do not have a photo.

Also, asking for a photograph in my eyes is not beyond reasonable doubt. The photo could be of someone else's million pound chest, or it could be completely doctored altogether. If a photograph is beyond reasonable doubt in your eyes then fine, but not in mine.

Perhaps I can arrange a visit to your place then, where I might view the briefcase?

Incidentally, why don't you have a photo? Do you not have access to photoshop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    Was Mohammad a peado?
    Goodnight sweet prince

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Perhaps I can arrange a visit to your place then, where I might view the briefcase?

Incidentally, why don't you have a photo? Do you not have access to photoshop?
    I see. Yourself and maybe a couple of other posters have come to this conclusion:

That it must be witnessed to exist - to be true - to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)

I do not have a photo.

Well there is no real way to prove that you have a chest. Even if you posted a picture of it with your face in, we don't know that you are the OP. So we have to go on what we can get.

Because of that, I believe you don't have a chest.

Which you obviously don't, as you're telling a public forum you have £1m in your house.

Btw, I just stole your chest. Prove to me that I didn't steal your chest.

ReputationRep:
    You've really made me reevaluate my take on reality, there, OP. What a mind-blowing thought experiment.

ReputationRep:
    What you're getting at OP, I see it

ReputationRep:
    PleSe send picss of your big chest
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    I see. Yourself and maybe a couple of other posters have come to this conclusion:

That it must be witnessed to exist - to be true - to you.

You seem to be confusing our interest in meta-philosophy and the determination for us to get our hands on your money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Well there is no real way to prove that you have a chest. Even if you posted a picture of it with your face in, we don't know that you are the OP. So we have to go on what we can get.

Because of that, I believe you don't have a chest.

Which you obviously don't, as you're telling a public forum you have £1m in your house.

Btw, I just stole your chest. Prove to me that I didn't steal your chest.
    "We have to go on what we can get". This kind of disturbs me but also brings something I've noticed about myself. It's like we kind of WANT to believe that what we're hearing is true.

Yes you have not been given any evidence whatsoever to take my claim on as the truth.

It may be obvious to you that I'm lying, but we do not know whether we are awake or dreaming in the present moment. Sometimes it's just not that obvious that one is being lied to, especially when one's emotions are being engaged.

I can't prove something that I have completely fabricated, which has been fabricated further by other free beings

ReputationRep:
    Advise us of the currency and denomination of the notes and the length and breadth and height on the bundle making up the million, also advise the insurance premium you now pay to hold that sum in cash. Further advise what banking protocols were required to uplift the million in cash.

Answering these should give a reader an inclination as to the veracity of the original statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    You've really made me reevaluate my take on reality, there, OP. What a mind-blowing thought experiment.
    In which case you will conclude that there is indeed a god and he exists outside of the material world. Or do you have a decent reason to reject my claim?

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of a specific example, but there would probably be a way to infer that you were telling the truth by watching what you do etc, and observing you to see how you acted in various situations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    PleSe send picss of your big chest
    Sure mr bear, here's a picture of my chest

Spoiler:
    Show

Who wants to come steal my **** now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    In which case you will conclude that there is indeed a god and he exists outside of the material world. Or do you have a decent reason to reject my claim?
    "Everything is true because you can't prove with logical certainty that I don't have a million pounds in a chest".

Yep. You're right. There must be a god.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.