Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Puppy chewing EVERYTHING - even me! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, 2nd day of having Sammy and, well, he chews EVERYTHING. I know this is natural given he is probably teething as he is 9 weeks old but is there anything that can be done to limit it maybe?

Favourite things to chew;

Paper
    Toes
    Socks
    Fingers
    Ears
    Wires
    School bag
    Carpet

Help?

EDIT:
    I am now worried Sammy WILL one day, eat my homework! DX

ReputationRep:
    Say NO strongly and make him stop, don't give him any attention or look at him in the eye for a couple of minutes so he knows he's done wrong. If he does it again repeat. Also make sure he has plenty of toys that it's OK for him to play with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narcissist)
    Say NO strongly and make him stop, don't give him any attention or look at him in the eye for a couple of minutes so he knows he's done wrong. If he does it again repeat. Also make sure he has plenty of toys that it's OK for him to play with.
    Well, we are going shopping Monday to get things he can play with, proper puppy toys, however, for today and tomorrow, he has the following;

Tennis Ball
    A lid from an old peanut tin he seems quite fond of
    The odd bit of paper he can find lying around.

Oh yeah, he recently discovered he likes to chew the laptop corners. =l

EDIT:
    Forgot to say thanks. =)

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're likely to have a blanket or dressing gown lying around somewhere that he could play with. Just make sure it's distinctive enough that he can recognise it as 'his' and he won't just destroy every blanket or dressing gown he sets his eyes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narcissist)
    I'm sure you're likely to have a blanket or dressing gown lying around somewhere that he could play with. Just make sure it's distinctive enough that he can recognise it as 'his' and he won't just destroy every blanket or dressing gown he sets his eyes on.
    Mum seems somewhat adamant NOT to do this because she says he will associate clothes and chewing.
    Kinda like what he is doing with socks.

ReputationRep:
    Take him for more walks. It just means he has energy to burn.

ReputationRep:
    You could command him to chew your enemies?

ReputationRep:
    Our Daschund when she was a puppy used to chew the ratty and splintered edges of our shed. You can't stop them doing it but a firm no with a point of your finger should make them feel guilty. Don't give in to the "puppy dog eyes" as they'll get away with murder.

If they've chewed something and you've discovered it - don't shout at them. They don't associate what they've done in the past with why you're shouting at them now.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this works with dogs but my cats did the same thing, spray bottle did the trick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Take him for more walks. It just means he has energy to burn.
    He hasn't had his last vaccination yet, so, no walks until that happens in 2 weeks time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    He hasn't had his last vaccination yet, so, no walks until that happens in 2 weeks time.
    Then give him something else to chew that is equally as satisfying to him as your things.

ReputationRep:
    Buy him a 'Kong'. My puppy loves his. It's a toy you can put some treats in and they can smell them but not get to them so it keeps him occupied for a while. Also, do buy him proper toys, don't give him any householdy things, like old slippers - make sure he knows what's his. Another trick is a vocal command 'no' and then immediately shoving one of his toys in his mouth to divert his attention.

Someone above me suggested eye contact. Dogs DO NOT like eye contact, it makes them feel like you're confronting them and preparing to attack. So they'll do the same.

ReputationRep:
    Kongs are good, fill it with kong paste and little biscuits, but not too much kong paste or he will poo loads lol.

My dog loved to chew everything when he was a puppy, sofas, tables, ovens, clothes, blankets!

He needs lots of different toys because they easily get bored! Also try a puppy 'Nyla bone' they are probably are £7 or £8 but last absolutely ages and you can get them in all different shapes. It's one of the only things my dogs last with and don't break straight through.

When he chews something he shouldn't have take it off him say no very firmly and direct him to something he can have and then say good boy/tickle his tummy then he'll know he's doing good.

Oh also the chew deterrent spray really helps! But obviously you don't want to put that on clothes and blankets but for corners of sofas and carpets etc it's good.

ReputationRep:
    This is so cute

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.