Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Feminist, Conscription and WW3 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Give the wench a gun.

ReputationRep:
    Conscription should only happen when we are short of people and our country is directly under attack. In that case no one should be exempt unless they have a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    So feminist only care about equality when it benefits women?
    Did you read what I said? They're not going to campaign so that they can suffer the same disadvantages men face. Equally, they're not going to stand in the way of men breaking free of such unfairness themselves.

I know this is a bit of a loaded question but I'm curious.
    If national service was unavoidable and nessessary surely all true equality campaigners would want women to serve.
    Yes.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penguinsrcool)
    why was i negged i have the right to express my opinions
    You didn't express an opinion. That's why.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    So feminist only care about equality when it benefits women?

I know this is a bit of a loaded question but I'm curious.
    If national service was unavoidable and nessessary surely all true equality campaigners would want women to serve.
    No, that's utter bull****. Any true equality campaigner would want both men and women to be treated equally with both rights and responsibilities. Truef eminists do not only care about the nice bits for women.

ReputationRep:
    Although if conscription had to come in again, i would say both genders should have to face it.

However:

If every man and women is conscripted this means for families, the mother and father are both sent away, possibly leaving no one to care for the children. How would this work? One parent would have to stay at least.
    Due to most of our military being male this would probably then be the fathers. Lets be honest, if you had to pick one gender, men are the obvious ones, simply for biological reasons.
    Unless maybe families could pick? But then tbh i still think mostly fathers would choose to go

Another biological reason also
    If a woman doesnt want to be conscripted, she could simply become pregnant. I doubt many countries would force pregnant women to go to war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I am a feminist and I don't believe in conscription, so yeeeeah, nothing to be said from me.
    Hypocrite feminist. Only wanting equality when it suits you. Typical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    this would be a good way of going about it

I think that if men were conscripted then women also SHOULD be, but given my own selfish fear of death if it came to it and only men were I wouldn't point this out or complain.

Yes I am aware of my hipocracy but I don't want to die at war and my fear would defiantly outweigh any moral obligation I felt I'm just being honest
    Then you are not a true feminist. A true feminist would stand up and die for equality if it meant so much to them.

ReputationRep:
    As a feminist I believe in equal rights for both sexes - not the female supremacy, so for this reason if there was to be a conscription it most definitely should be of both men and women. However there should be a large amount of people (both men and women) left to 'run' the country and ensure that everything runs smoothly (production, taking care of children, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    she doesn't believe in conscription for men or women, how is that hypocritical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    she doesn't believe in conscription for men or women, how is that hypocritical?
    No she avoided answering the OP question by saying she doesn't believe in conscription. That was not the OP was asking, he was asking if feminists believe in it being for men and women if it DID happen, or just men? The OP is not asking for views on the morality of conscription, just whether women and/or men should be conscripted if it did happen

ReputationRep:
    The situation I think would change my opinion regarding this quite strongly.

For example, I dislike the idea of conscription for a war which we have no business being in. So I would like to see nobody being conscripted. It is because of that, I would prefer only men be conscripted purely because it means less people will be conscripted on the whole. And I'm not one for the whole 'punish everyone to make it fair'.

On the other hand, there are time when conscription is justified. And in such a situation I believe bother sexes should be conscripted.

ReputationRep:
    If there was another world war and some people came round to conscript me I'd just stand there and laugh at them before slamming the door in their face.

ReputationRep:
    Then you are not a true feminist. A true feminist would stand up and die for equality if it meant so much to them.
    yes, I acknowledged that in my post..

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if you think I'm a 'typical feminist' i.e Satan, I don't agree with conscription regardless of ****ing gender. Don't bore me further with your inane nagging about why feminism is the pits.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.