Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've got my D of E Bronze expedition in 3-4 weeks and I'm really unfit, and I struggled for the practice expedition and I'm really starting to panic, I also have anxiety problems which makes it worse, how can I stay calm and have fun on D of E and become fitter really quickly? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit worried about D of E too, but it turns out it is really fun! Just look forward to you, having your friends around you really helps too (I'm guessing you're in a group with your friends?). To be honest, it does go by quite quickly, just remember how hard you've worked for it, all those months of volunteering etc. If you're having trouble just think about how this discomfort isn't going to affect you forever, soon you'll be back home warm again so just try and enjoy it while you can!
    Also, if you wanted to try and get fitter you could maybe try going for a run? Just a small jog might help I'm not too sure, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    D of E bronze is a gentle introduction. You're not gonna be climbing big mountains. If your fitness is poor I would maybe do some inclined walks on a treadmill for 30+ minutes. Carry a heavy pack if you can. In reality, if you play any sports at your age, you'll be more than fit enough. Endurance wasn't a word in my vocabulary as a teen.

Enjoy the scenery, open air and living with your friends. It's an amazing experience (I did silver and gold as well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulou_123)
    I was a bit worried about D of E too, but it turns out it is really fun! Just look forward to you, having your friends around you really helps too (I'm guessing you're in a group with your friends?). To be honest, it does go by quite quickly, just remember how hard you've worked for it, all those months of volunteering etc. If you're having trouble just think about how this discomfort isn't going to affect you forever, soon you'll be back home warm again so just try and enjoy it while you can!
    Also, if you wanted to try and get fitter you could maybe try going for a run? Just a small jog might help I'm not too sure, sorry!
    Thanks! I'm not in a group with my friends :/ so its quite awkward..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoSky809)
    Thanks! I'm not in a group with my friends :/ so its quite awkward..
    As long as they're good people they'll help motivate, you have to motivate each other when it gets really tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoSky809)
    Hi, I've got my D of E Bronze expedition in 3-4 weeks and I'm really unfit, and I struggled for the practice expedition and I'm really starting to panic, I also have anxiety problems which makes it worse, how can I stay calm and have fun on D of E and become fitter really quickly? Thanks
    First off, Duke of Edinburgh is an amazing experience- yes there will be points where you're in pain. 3-4 weeks is enough time to get fitter- doing any exercise is good, if you have a lot of spare time try full day walks with a heavy bag, if not go for higher intensity i.e. running or quicker walking. The bag weight for most people is the main issue, whatever you do make sure you pack sensibly- only what you need! After all, the lighter the bag, the more comfortable the walk will be. Part of the challenge is mental, so just try and keep a positive mindset, bring nice food to encourage yourself and don't forgot to admire the lovely wildlife and landscape. Hope it all goes well, where are you walking?
    (I have done Bronze, Silver and currently doing Gold- if you have any more questions feel free to ask me )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PKMN TRN JAM)
    As long as they're good people they'll help motivate, you have to motivate each other when it gets really tough.
    ^This is incredibly important, because in the morning - I had to put down the tent on my own, in the rain, and the cold because the person - Who I was close friends with - buggered off for half an hour to "wash the metal bowls". It was a fun experience but you've got to all stick together and work as a team - which is what the expedition section is all about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    D of E bronze is a gentle introduction. You're not gonna be climbing big mountains. If your fitness is poor I would maybe do some inclined walks on a treadmill for 30+ minutes. Carry a heavy pack if you can. In reality, if you play any sports at your age, you'll be more than fit enough. Endurance wasn't a word in my vocabulary as a teen.

Enjoy the scenery, open air and living with your friends. It's an amazing experience (I did silver and gold as well).
    Okay thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My friend was worried about the same thing, but the experience turned out to be one of the best times we've had, and none of our group even bothered exercising before. Just stop worrying; as long as you distract yourself with your friends, it will be great and painless. I miss the expedition...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.