Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So january exam results are out, and overall im happy as I got all A's in my exams. However, I felt I could have done much better in some of my modules as I was only at around 50-60% of what I am capable of and I fear that by resitting one of them I could put my self out of contention at LSE and UCL which are two of the unis i plan to apply for. I sat c1, s1, d1, m1 this jan as well as physics unit 1 and this is what i got

c1 - 96 - shud ave got a 100, but still quite happy here
    s1 - 84 - got 98 in mocks, was getting 99 and 100's in every past paper i did, stupidly missed a question and got a couple wrong for the first time - gutted since im very good at stats.
    m1 - 95 again happy here
    d1- 83 - didnt really expect this but still i dont think d1 is that important so im fine with it.
    physics unit 1 - 102/120 pretty happy with this but i still felt that what I did in the exam was worth more and I am remarking this (not retaking though)

So im basically planning to retake s1 since i know that i can get atleast 99/100. I understand the cambridge allow one or two retakes but I am not sure on how strict UCL, LSE and warwick are with this. I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Econ and Physics and i need some help with this asap as the retake deadline is on wednesday. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    check out this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2150292.

I also took physics unit 1. got 104. not sure if i should have it remarked, but loads of guys in my year got similar results even though they were expecting to do better.

ReputationRep:
    may i ask, what sort of emphasis do lse put on gcse results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rupertj)
    This shouldn't be a problem at all, provided that you do very well at Maths/Further Maths from now on. I got a B in AS Economics and retook it the following year. I also retook S2 in my A2 year after getting a D (51 per cent, didn't know anything) as well as M2 (got a lower mark the second time round) and S2 (think I got a B first time round), and completed my A Levels with A*AAA with A* in Maths, but still got in to LSE post-A Levels, but was rejected by Cambridge (twice). I didn't apply to LSE during my first round of applications.

As you can see, you can screw up quite a lot and still be forgiven by the admissions tutors, provided that your personal statement and reference are strong. Note that I messed up significantly and was actually below the average in my school year, when I got into LSE. I don't know how Warwick or UCL would treat your marks, but I know for certain, having spoken in person with admissions tutors, that LSE/Cambridge would be fine with it, as long as you avoid too many retakes and a very strong in the other domains that they consider.

P.S. Do make sure that above all, your Maths/F Maths modules are very very strong from now, and try and get a few 100's in. If your Maths is good, they will not mind less exceptional marks in the others.
    So would it be fine if I retake s1? Also Im doing c2 and fp1 this summer. So if I were to get 100's or (close) in all 3 (or 2 if i dont do s1). then i would be in a fairly comfortable position then right?

also im planning to take step papers as well so would that make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonade10)
    may i ask, what sort of emphasis do lse put on gcse results?

This is the quotation from the lse website.

''If you have taken GCSE level qualifications, or equivalent, these will also be taken into account when the admissions tutors assess your application. All applicants are normally expected to have at least grade B in GCSE English and Mathematics or the equivalent, although exceptions are made for applicants with extenuating circumstances.
    There are some programmes in our Social Policy Department which require a grade C or above for GCSE Mathematics. Some programmes require grades higher than B in GCSE Mathematics and these are outlined in the individual programme entries. Certain departments look for a number of A or A* grades at GCSE. Further information can be found on the admissions criteria section of the website. ''

This could be kind of confusing as they only state the bare minimum requirements. But i have heard of lots of people getting rejected due to below standard gcses (according to them that is) but the opposite also happens too.I would still apply if i were you especially if your as grades are strong (all A's).

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys is there anyone else willing to give me advice on this issue i really need some help and fast!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.