Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

"Reading around the subject" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd say if you know what you want to study at university, do it for this subject. Not only will it help you get a better understanding of the subject for the course, it will give the people reading your personal statement something to talk about during interviews. If they ask what you've done to show your dedication to the subject, this is a perfect thing to be able to show them.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I remember this. At the start of AS Biology, my teacher was always telling us to read around the subject and hammering it home that it was the only way to get an A.

Absolute bs, if you excuse my language To get an A in Biology, you have to memorise the mark scheme, simple as.

ReputationRep:
    You really don't need to read around the subject... But it doesn't hurt to have an active interest in what you're doing!

I watch quite a lot of videos on engineering and science, and stuff just trickles in and you start to remember odd facts. It might not guarantee you get a better grade, but you might think about problems in a different way. Sometimes it helps because you can give the question a different context and understand it in a slightly different way.

But yeah, no need to go and get a load of books out of the library. If it makes sense and you're getting the grades, then super. If you're doing research, or just generally like the subject, try and stay on track with current affairs on that subject.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to read around a subject to get an A* in any subject, if there was an extra stuff that was essential to get one it would be in the syllabus. What it does do is make it easier to get one, it gives you more stuff to write about and if you get thrown something really obscure (I remember my GCSE history source paper being entirely on the subject of one page of a 150 page textbook) it can really pull your ass out of the fire.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.