Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there gap year people... just wondered how all your years were going...are you all itching to go to uni?? i know i am, that's what got me on this forum in the first place!!!

What has anyone done on their gap year? i've been working on both of mine (have had 2 years out-long story!!) and i really feel like im ready for uni....can't wait!!!

ReputationRep:
    I hate my Gap Year. I only took it because I didn't know whether or not I wanted to go to University.
    I thought to myself, I know I'll go back to college and do some AS levels in French etc and I can take my time deciding what to do.
    I decided on the first day when a 5 minute chat with the tutor took an hour and a half.
    I want to be there now...not skiving off college for the 4th week in a row (Yet still getting A's strangely)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    I hate my Gap Year. I only took it because I didn't know whether or not I wanted to go to University.
    I thought to myself, I know I'll go back to college and do some AS levels in French etc and I can take my time deciding what to do.
    I decided on the first day when a 5 minute chat with the tutor took an hour and a half.
    I want to be there now...not skiving off college for the 4th week in a row (Yet still getting A's strangely)

u must be very brainy!!!

i know, i am just so bored with my job- i so don't want to be where i am now..i want to be learning and socialilsing and stuf at uni!!

what makes it worse is that all my friends are at uni...the only person i eva see is my bf...i just feel really alone and bored with everything... i love him to pieces but he has friends at school and he is in a band...i have made friends through my a level psychology course but i don't really know them well enough to do things with...i am also working for my bfs dad- so the only people i ever see are his family, my family and him....oh well i shall just have to stick it out until september the 20th!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    u must be very brainy!!!

i know, i am just so bored with my job- i so don't want to be where i am now..i want to be learning and socialilsing and stuf at uni!!

what makes it worse is that all my friends are at uni...the only person i eva see is my bf...i just feel really alone and bored with everything... i love him to pieces but he has friends at school and he is in a band...i have made friends through my a level psychology course but i don't really know them well enough to do things with...i am also working for my bfs dad- so the only people i ever see are his family, my family and him....oh well i shall just have to stick it out until september the 20th!!
    aww! it must be such a pain having to wait! i'm kind of in the same situation because after GCSE's i had a year out and then went to do my A levels. i know people from school and some friends who are at uni and loving it, i just think that that could be me, but never mind, waiting will make it even more special when we get their!

ReputationRep:
    I wish i opted for a year out. I would have loved to have done some travelling before started Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    aww! it must be such a pain having to wait! i'm kind of in the same situation because after GCSE's i had a year out and then went to do my A levels. i know people from school and some friends who are at uni and loving it, i just think that that could be me, but never mind, waiting will make it even more special when we get their!

yeah i suppose- yay!!
    *jumps up and down with excitement!!*

ReputationRep:
    yeah i suppose- yay!!
    *jumps up and down with excitement!!*
    lol only 6 months to go!

ReputationRep:
    I hate my job

6 months is a loooong time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    I hate my job

6 months is a loooong time!
    lol, you're like a kiddie waiting for christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    lol, you're like a kiddie waiting for christmas
    Yes, but a kid who's scared of Santa!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    Yes, but a kid who's scared of Santa!
    lol, well i guess santa is *kinda* scary, especially if he climbs down the chimney

ReputationRep:
    Note from an ex-gappie:

Make the most of it! I got to exactly the same stage as you guys are at now, a little further into my gap year (right now I was still buzzing having just come back from Switzerland). I wasted away 4 months, not bothering to get a proper job (temping at my usual place, but only for a week at a time) then went and had a great summer on various holidays, before another month of hellish work and finally off to uni. During the 4 months of doing essentially nothing I felt very low, very bored (all my friends were off at uni, and they all lived a long way away anyway) and began to regret my decision. However, looking back on the year, I'm very glad I did it - Switzerland was fantastic and all the stuff I did in the summer was great as well.

I could have made more of my gap year, but what I have done has helped enormously. Plus I can't imagine being in the year above; I'd far rather be in my year with all my current friends! However, I do sometimes wish I'd done more.

So, don't waste your time wishing you were at uni. Go and do something you like! You'll never have this time again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Note from an ex-gappie:

Make the most of it! I got to exactly the same stage as you guys are at now, a little further into my gap year (right now I was still buzzing having just come back from Switzerland). I wasted away 4 months, not bothering to get a proper job (temping at my usual place, but only for a week at a time) then went and had a great summer on various holidays, before another month of hellish work and finally off to uni. During the 4 months of doing essentially nothing I felt very low, very bored (all my friends were off at uni, and they all lived a long way away anyway) and began to regret my decision. However, looking back on the year, I'm very glad I did it - Switzerland was fantastic and all the stuff I did in the summer was great as well.
    What did you do in Switzerland, Helenia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger)
    What did you do in Switzerland, Helenia?
    I worked as a winter volunteer at Our Chalet, the world centre for Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, in Adelboden. I was doing a lot of yukky boring cleaning stuff, some work in the kitchen and helping out with groups of guests. It was hard work but really good fun. I lived with 8 other volunteers in our own little chalet and it was the first time I'd lived away from home for a long period of time (3 months) - it really taught me a lot about independence etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im on my gap yr aswell, only on it because my application got messed around a little (half the fault lies on me but I prefer to blame the uni) but anyway im sort of glad I am doing it now cos im moving from my home time to go uni in Bristol, may never have done it!
    Only thing that sucks is the amount of free time I have! I work 4 days of the week n the rest is "me-time". I catch up with a different friend who stayed local for uni every week and have lunch or something (keeps me occupied). Was planning to work all the way till August but might quit in July say my bye byes and go tour Southern Africa only for a month. Though its something atleast!

ReputationRep:
    18 days assembly line work left (out of 29), then I'll gey my cheque (something like 4000-5000 euro) and start travelling...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wal)
    18 days assembly line work left (out of 29), then I'll gey my cheque (something like 4000-5000 euro) and start travelling...
    wow- where are you planning to travel??

ReputationRep:
    well i'm on a gap year as well, and I feel as if it could have been FAR more constructive. I travelled for about 3/4 months after my A-Levels, then just bummed around at home until I found my current job (in the civil service) in January. You really do have to plan you year carefully, else you get several months where you wait for something to happen, and just goes to waste.
    i'm trying to be productive now - playing in 2 orchestras, learning the piano, and taking driving lessons.

tho kinda not looking forward to uni, since i've forgotten everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    well i'm on a gap year as well, and I feel as if it could have been FAR more constructive. I travelled for about 3/4 months after my A-Levels, then just bummed around at home until I found my current job (in the civil service) in January. You really do have to plan you year carefully, else you get several months where you wait for something to happen, and just goes to waste.
    i'm trying to be productive now - playing in 2 orchestras, learning the piano, and taking driving lessons.

tho kinda not looking forward to uni, since i've forgotten everything!

sounds cool...i have worked for my gap year- and taken singing lessons, am trying to learn bass guitar...i am also working towards passing my advanced motoring test have tried to save up loads of money...i have £1000 so far and hope to make it around £2500 to £3000 by the end of the summer (like that's gonna happen!!) have a few hols planned for the summer- i am going away for 2 weeks to the lake district with my bf, then we are going away with his family for 2-3 weeks (help!!!) so it should be ok.....must save not spend, must save not spend....

ReputationRep:
    sounds cool...i have worked for my gap year- and taken singing lessons, am trying to learn bass guitar...i am also working towards passing my advanced motoring test have tried to save up loads of money...i have £1000 so far and hope to make it around £2500 to £3000 by the end of the summer (like that's gonna happen!!) have a few hols planned for the summer- i am going away for 2 weeks to the lake district with my bf, then we are going away with his family for 2-3 weeks (help!!!) so it should be ok.....must save not spend, must save not spend....
    hey that's cool! one of my best mates is teaching bass guitar in his gap year - he can earn almost £20 an hour! i'm still doing basics - just learnt the 3 pt turn... what do u do in ur advanced motoring then? handbrake turns?

my money's dwindling quickly - i don't even know where it's going! :/

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.