The Student Room Group

Why are people wanting the Human Rights Act abolished (UK)

Bit confused as to why people are wanting this abolished?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know, I see no problem and want it kept. They keep confusing it with the EU, the ECHR is part of the Council of Europe a completely different organisation
They probably feel it's too nice, everything seems to need to "hard" these days
Because it's far outreached its original good intentions and now offers rights to criminals rather than victims.
Reply 4
Original post by harry callahan
because it's far outreached its original good intentions and now offers rights to criminals rather than victims.

Everyone has human rights
Original post by Morgsie

Legally, yes, but criminals shouldn't have the rights they currently do.
Reply 6
Original post by Morgsie

Only in principle. The current act goes too far. We couldn't deport dangerous criminals back to their homelands just because they have a wife and child here. Yet if they were single they'd be on the first plane home. That definitely isn't right. If you are a guest in our country we have the right to kick your ass out.
Original post by Harry Callahan
Legally, yes, but criminals shouldn't have the rights they currently do.

Which rights do you not wish them to have?
Reply 8
Original post by Genocidal
Only in principle. The current act goes too far. We couldn't deport dangerous criminals back to their homelands just because they have a wife and child here. Yet if they were single they'd be on the first plane home. That definitely isn't right. If you are a guest in our country we have the right to kick your ass out.

So Right-wing
Original post by nulli tertius
Which rights do you not wish them to have?

All of them. I think criminals - serious criminals - should sacrifice their rights upon committing a crime.

The British government should show a bit of backbone for once, rather than pandering to the ECHR.
Reply 10
All of them. I think criminals - serious criminals - should sacrifice their rights upon committing a crime.

The British government should show a bit of backbone for once, rather than pandering to the ECHR.

The UK is a founding Signatory, there will be International embarrassment if we bow to your thinking
Original post by Morgsie
So Right-wing

Fantastic retort!
Original post by Morgsie
The UK is a founding Signatory, there will be International embarrassment if we bow to your thinking

Then so be it. It's time we got control of our own country back.
Reply 13
Then so be it. It's time we got control of our own country back.

Oh, you want the UK isolated from the rest of the world?
Home Secretary has said that if the Conservatives win the 2015 elections, they will consider leaving the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). I am sorry but does she realize that the only country in Europe which is not a signatory to the ECHR is....Belarus?
Original post by Morgsie
Oh, you want the UK isolated from the rest of the world?

How would it isolate us?
Original post by Morgsie
So Right-wing

Not a real answer at all.

Tell me why we should cater to a dangerous criminal which wasn't even born here? Why should everyone else be put at risk just to let him live where he wants?

So a car thief (car theft is a serious crime) should not have any rights at all.

Let us look at the various articles of the ECHR

Article 2-Right to life. The state-let us say an Income Tax Inspector-should be entitled to kill any car thief

Article 3-Prohibition of Torture-we will find out where those hubcaps went when we waterboard him.

Article 4-Prohibition of slavery and forced labour-It will help the balance of payments if we sell him to a East Anglian potato farmer

Article 5-Right to liberty and security-We are not going to tell him what he is accused of

Article 6-Right to a fair trial-Lets have the car owner and his mates on the jury, or better still lets not have a jury at all.

Article 7-No punishment without law-The police can give him a once-over in the cells to make him not do it again

Article 8-Right to respect for private and family life-Lets publish some photos of his kids and the love letters to his wife

When you say he has no rights, that is what you mean.
Reply 18
Original post by nmuers
Bit confused as to why people are wanting this abolished?

Right now, there's a war going on between Lord Neuberger and the Tories....Lord Neuberger is warning the government of the importance of Human Rights and the Tories seem to be responding by further breaching Human Rights
Original post by nulli tertius
So a car thief (car theft is a serious crime) should not have any rights at all.

Let us look at the various articles of the ECHR

Article 2-Right to life. The state-let us say an Income Tax Inspector-should be entitled to kill any car thief

Article 3-Prohibition of Torture-we will find out where those hubcaps went when we waterboard him.

Article 4-Prohibition of slavery and forced labour-It will help the balance of payments if we sell him to a East Anglian potato farmer

Article 5-Right to liberty and security-We are not going to tell him what he is accused of

Article 6-Right to a fair trial-Lets have the car owner and his mates on the jury, or better still lets not have a jury at all.

Article 7-No punishment without law-The police can give him a once-over in the cells to make him not do it again

Article 8-Right to respect for private and family life-Lets publish some photos of his kids and the love letters to his wife

When you say he has no rights, that is what you mean.

You have to apply common sense. Stop being pedantic for the sake of it. You know full well what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest