The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by --K
ahaha, I Feel you! Damn my English teacher always says that to me, "You need to express yourself" argg. I'm Like how?!! && Thankyou for your advice, Will Do that :biggrin:

haha yeah it's so hard to develop how to express yourself! :L and no worries :smile:

Original post by random1234567
I really hope we get decent studies for section B :frown:

i think Baron-Cohen will come up and Dement and Kleitman (i'm just mostly hoping that this study will come up!) and another study that has low ecological validity... not sure on the third
Reply 181
For Section B, Will they ask us to evaluate the adv/dis for using a longitudinal or snapshot study? If Yes, Does anyone know what kind of points to write?
Original post by jodie.irwin27
haha yeah it's so hard to develop how to express yourself! :L and no worries :smile:

i think Baron-Cohen will come up and Dement and Kleitman (i'm just mostly hoping that this study will come up!) and another study that has low ecological validity... not sure on the third

Ahh I wouldnt mind Dement and Kleitman but I dont like sperry and savage
Reply 183
The ones that are most likely to come up for section b and c are baron-cohens study and the behaviourist perspective
Original post by --K
For Section B, Will they ask us to evaluate the adv/dis for using a longitudinal or snapshot study? If Yes, Does anyone know what kind of points to write?

depends with the study, for example, the Maguire study used a snapshot design. however, it would have been more beneficial and valid if a longitudinal design was used, as you are able to measure the change in the brain structure over time

general advantages and disadvantages:.
snapshot advantages
quicker and cheaper to carry out
doesn't suffer from attrition (loss of participants, for example if they move away or withdraw from the study or fall ill)
snapshot disadvantages
poor insight into behaviour
not useful when studying development

longitudinal advantages
useful for investigating development
good insight into behaviour

longitudinal disadvantages
suffer from attrition
longer and harder to conduct
Original post by shyamshah
Yeah, section C is always the same pretty much. The 12 mark question is always strengths and weaknesses of the approach. Section B is the hardest but just try and do as many model answers as possible and either mark it or give it to your teacher to mark and you should find it easier. I find social psychology kind of easy but will still go over it.

Has anyone got any model answers that got full marks for the section b on the changes and implication of the changes??Because that would mostly be appreciated thank you as I would come to the exam hardly having the slightest clue what the heck I'll be talking about and because it holds a lot of marks too! :frown: I bet it would benefit me including everyone I guess :wink:
I don't have any with marks but I do have some, I'd have to scan them into the computer for you later. But check out www.psychexhange.com and search the resources for section B model answers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Here's a brief summary of the physiological approach for Section C. For the 12 mark question I have used the PEE format to answer so it's more structured and easier to understand.
Reply 188
Original post by jodie.irwin27
depends with the study, for example, the Maguire study used a snapshot design. however, it would have been more beneficial and valid if a longitudinal design was used, as you are able to measure the change in the brain structure over time

general advantages and disadvantages:.
snapshot advantages
quicker and cheaper to carry out
doesn't suffer from attrition (loss of participants, for example if they move away or withdraw from the study or fall ill)
snapshot disadvantages
poor insight into behaviour
not useful when studying development

longitudinal advantages
useful for investigating development
good insight into behaviour

longitudinal disadvantages
suffer from attrition
longer and harder to conduct

Thanksss SOO Much Once again! Seriously ahaha, You're soo clever :redface: && That's all I Need thanks, I Can Link them In with the study, I Just didn't really know the general adv/dis! :biggrin: Thankyou Very Much Once again (:
Reply 189
In the Loftus and Palmer study, in experiment 2 why was there a control group? :smile:
Good question :L probably to have it as a comparison for what people would normally answer without the intervention of the critical verb. Does that make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the perspectives we need to study? :confused:
Reply 192
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
What are the perspectives we need to study? :confused:

behaviourist & psychodynamic :/
Original post by --K
behaviourist & psychodynamic :/

Oh man.. Which studies do they go under?Any predictions in which one is more likely to come up?

Honestly i'm so behind on revision it's unreal.
Reply 194
Oh man.. any prediction in which one is more likely to come up?

Honestly i'm so behind on revision it's unreal.

I Think Behaviourist, Im not sure though :frown: Omg Don't worry, Same here, I had such a wack teacher >.< I Have to go over all the studies again, done 3 & done 1 approach... I'm Dead :// wbu?
Original post by --K
I Think Behaviourist, Im not sure though Omg Don't worry, Same here, I had such a wack teacher >.< I Have to go over all the studies again, done 3 & done 1 approach... I'm Dead :// wbu?

Ugh same we had a awsome one but she left..

I have covered 13 studies as in the procedure sample IV/DV and all that sizzle but i haven't yet the backrounds of them.

I haven't prepared for Section B nor C either plus i have a big bio exam coiming up that i have neglected to. :s-smilie:
Reply 196
Ugh same we had a awsome one but she left..

I have covered 13 studies as in the procedure sample IV/DV and all that sizzle but i haven't yet the backrounds of them.

I haven't prepared for Section B nor C either plus i have a big bio exam coiming up that i have neglected to. :s-smilie:

That Sucks, Omg hate when that happens >.< Our Teacher Just makes It 10 Times more confusing for us :/ & You still have done a lot though, I Just got cue cards, It takes really long to do one study though && Yea, Some of the backgrounds you don't even know. Background of Freud Is really long, I'm trying to shorten it. It's impossible. I Really Hate section C!! Haven't done that either, Just looked at one approach. I'm Gonna do them later :frown: Oh when is you bio exam? Good Luck for that! If That one is closer, focus on that :biggrin: You'll be fine, you still done loads :biggrin: Best of Luck! Hmm, Have a look at the file I Attached, It has loads of info even on the approaches etc
Original post by --K
That Sucks, Omg hate when that happens >.< Our Teacher Just makes It 10 Times more confusing for us :/ & You still have done a lot though, I Just got cue cards, It takes really long to do one study though && Yea, Some of the backgrounds you don't even know. Background of Freud Is really long, I'm trying to shorten it. It's impossible. I Really Hate section C!! Haven't done that either, Just looked at one approach. I'm Gonna do them later :frown: Oh when is you bio exam? Good Luck for that! If That one is closer, focus on that :biggrin: You'll be fine, you still done loads :biggrin: Best of Luck! Hmm, Have a look at the file I Attached, It has loads of info even on the approaches etc

Aw thank you!. My exam in on the 3rd june (sigh*) Anyway good luck with everything! :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 198
Aw thank you!. My exam in on the 3rd june (sigh*) Anyway good luck with every thing! :h:

Ah Damn two days before psycho, well Good luck (: & No problem. Ahah Thank you!
I find revising for this exam so god damn hard..
What I find most beneficial is going over a study then writing down everything that you can remember without looking at your notes, then in another coloured pen write things that you missed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest