Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth1995x)
    I'm really stuck on thinking of a second change for the Maguire study... I have that I'd change the sample as my first change, but I really can't think of a second one!! Anybody have any ideas??
    Another change could be to use a longitudinal study in order to investigate and monitor the changing of the size of the participants hippocampus over the duration of their career as a taxi driver eg. from passing 'the knowledge' to retirement.

An implication would be that the changes in hippocampi would be tracked over time and would allow the researchers to gather more rich and detailed information making results more valid. It will also support in the conclusion that spatial navigation is caused by changes in hippocampi volume/density.

ReputationRep:
    How can Reicher and Haslam be considered valid? Apart from that its a laboratory experiment.

And I agree, its impossible to learn everything for this exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qs2xo)
    Another change could be to use a longitudinal study in order to investigate and monitor the changing of the size of the participants hippocampus over the duration of their career as a taxi driver eg. from passing 'the knowledge' to retirement.

An implication would be that the changes in hippocampi would be tracked over time and would allow the researchers to gather more rich and detailed information making results more valid. It will also support in the conclusion that spatial navigation is caused by changes in hippocampi volume/density.
    Thank you that's a really good one!

(Original post by >Username<)
    How can Reicher and Haslam be considered valid? Apart from that its a laboratory experiment.

And I agree, its impossible to learn everything for this exam!
    It could be considered valid because the prison setting was quite realistic, and also as the participants were filmed this ensures that data was recorded correctly

ReputationRep:

It could be considered valid because the prison setting was quite realistic, and also as the participants were filmed this ensures that data was recorded correctly
    The thing is I've put that the study can be seen as not valid as the prison is not real. So could use that the point about how the prison is realistic as its contradicting itself? I've also put that the participants could be acting to please the cameras so that contradicts that the filming ensured that the data was recorded correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qs2xo)

couldn't have said it any better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkhan9035)
    I can't view the document, can you just copy and paste the text and comment on here
    CORE STUDIES SECTION B ADVICE
    • Throughout the specification for psychology, there is emphasis on 6 methods and 4 issues (listed below)
    • I have noticed a clear pattern in the questions for section B.
    • Each year, at least one of the questions in section B is related to just ONE of these methods and issues. That means that the 3 studies that you can choose from are linked by these methods and issues.
    • AND NONE OF THESE ISSUES AND METHODS HAVE COME UP AGAIN SINCE – there are 3 left.
    • This allows us to look at these 3 remaining methods and issues, in order to guess what will next appear in section B.
     NOTE: I DO NOT KNOW HOW ACCURATE THIS IS. IT IS JUST AN ESTIMATE AND MAY NOT ACTUALLY HAPPEN, SO PLEASE DON’T ONLY REVISE CERTAIN THINGS BASED ON THIS ADVICE!!

LIST OF METHODS AND ISSUES AND YEAR THEY APPEARED
    Those that are not bold have appeared already. Those that are bold have not.

Methods
    EXPERIMENT – Jan 09
    CASE STUDY – Jun 10
    SELF-REPORT
    OBSERVATION – Jan 12
    RELIABILITY – Jun 12
    VALIDITY

Issues
    ETHICS – Jun 09
    ECOLOGICAL VALIDITY
    LONGITUDINAL – Jan 13
    SNAPSHOT – Jan 11
    QUALITATIVE – Jun 11
    QUANTITATIVE – Jan 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie.irwin27)
    CORE STUDIES SECTION B ADVICE
    • Throughout the specification for psychology, there is emphasis on 6 methods and 4 issues (listed below)
    • I have noticed a clear pattern in the questions for section B.
    • Each year, at least one of the questions in section B is related to just ONE of these methods and issues. That means that the 3 studies that you can choose from are linked by these methods and issues.
    • AND NONE OF THESE ISSUES AND METHODS HAVE COME UP AGAIN SINCE – there are 3 left.
    • This allows us to look at these 3 remaining methods and issues, in order to guess what will next appear in section B.
     NOTE: I DO NOT KNOW HOW ACCURATE THIS IS. IT IS JUST AN ESTIMATE AND MAY NOT ACTUALLY HAPPEN, SO PLEASE DON’T ONLY REVISE CERTAIN THINGS BASED ON THIS ADVICE!!

LIST OF METHODS AND ISSUES AND YEAR THEY APPEARED
    Those that are not bold have appeared already. Those that are bold have not.

Methods
    EXPERIMENT – Jan 09
    CASE STUDY – Jun 10
    SELF-REPORT
    OBSERVATION – Jan 12
    RELIABILITY – Jun 12
    VALIDITY

Issues
    ETHICS – Jun 09
    ECOLOGICAL VALIDITY
    LONGITUDINAL – Jan 13
    SNAPSHOT – Jan 11
    QUALITATIVE – Jun 11
    QUANTITATIVE – Jan 10
    hey do you have any predictions for section C and any studies for B thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random1234567)
    hey do you have any predictions for section C and any studies for B thanks
    i think physiological and psychdynamic will come up.. and for section B, i think baron-cohen definitely.. and i hope dement and kleitman but i doubt it. idk a third.

if you link studies by self-report, validity and ecological validity then you can try and guess.

for example.. Griffiths, loftus and palmer and dement and kleitman used self-report.. so they could be possibilities?

also dement and kleitman, baron-cohen and bandura are not very ecological valid.. where as rosenhan, reicher and haslam and piliavin are ecological valid..

and anything could come up for validity really.

however these are just my guesses so please do not take my word for it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where I can get summaries of core studies, I had the booklet from class but I've lost it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so sure about baron cohen?
    i think physiological and psychdynamic will come up.. and for section B, i think baron-cohen definitely.. and i hope dement and kleitman but i doubt it. idk a third.

if you link studies by self-report, validity and ecological validity then you can try and guess.

for example.. Griffiths, loftus and palmer and dement and kleitman used self-report.. so they could be possibilities?

also dement and kleitman, baron-cohen and bandura are not very ecological valid.. where as rosenhan, reicher and haslam and piliavin are ecological valid..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckysoya)
    Why are you so sure about baron cohen?
    it only came up back in jan09 , hasn't appeared since

ReputationRep:
    Just some thoughts on this exam:

I know every subject has a lot to remember. But this one has so much that I really don't feel prepared. Although there are things that are more likely to come up. You just don't know what will actually come up. And in this subject you sort of rely on your predictions because of the mass amounts of content.

I think everyone knows the specification to some extent. But its the amount of detail required to actually pass the exam. Lets say in theory someone was to get full marks on both section B and C due to predicting what would come up and all there predictions being correct and all their answers being correct. That would only be 60 marks therefore you would need to get at least 7 marks in section A to get a C. It very unlikely that someone would get full marks in section B and C though.

The amount of detail you need to know for each study is just ridiculous. Section A is just make or break. I can easily see how someone could drop marks in Section A. Whilst its possible to know the basic things about the core studies, it is impossible for someone to know a specific part of the core study when they have to learn 7 approaches/perspectives and the specific issues and 15 aims/procedures/sample/strengths/weaknesses/background. Whilst the content side of things is not the hardest thing I think the actual exam is extremely tough.

Whilst people do have a week to do this I don't see how its possible. And I am extremely worried. I would like to get an A if not then a B. However I can see myself losing marks very easily. I also think timing is a big issue in the exam. Whilst you may have the detail required for the question timing will be a big struggle (for me anyway).

I don't mean to put anyone off their revision or anything. I'm just finding it very tough. Whilst I am revising and things are going into my head. There is so much more I don't know.

What worries me even more is if I decide to take this on next year then I cannot resit in January leaving me to resit in June along side all my other exams. I think to get an A in this your knowledge needs to be extremely detailed more so than other subject.

Whilst most other subjects are 50% of your AS this exam is 70%. I would rather it be spilt 50 50 as the amount of to learn for this it just way too much. I don't see how anyone can get an A in this exam. I am extremely worried about it.

I know this isn't helping anyone revise. But does anyone else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I feel exactly the same! And I'm so glad you've said it =/ it actually really annoys me how hard it is to get an A in this exam, and I'm starting to wish I'd decided to drop psychology next year because its just ridiculous.... I don't even feel like my teacher has prepared us well enough for this exam and so I'm basically wasting all my revision time going through past papers picking out the information I need to revise :/ the amount of numbers/statistics we need to know is crazy!!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I feel exactly the same! And I'm so glad you've said it =/ it actually really annoys me how hard it is to get an A in this exam, and I'm starting to wish I'd decided to drop psychology next year because its just ridiculous.... I don't even feel like my teacher has prepared us well enough for this exam and so I'm basically wasting all my revision time going through past papers picking out the information I need to revise :/ the amount of numbers/statistics we need to know is crazy!!
    I don't feel like my teacher has prepared us properly either! She explained everything in such little detail that as I'm revising I'm picking up new things. Yeah, exactly its so hard to get confused between the numbers!

ReputationRep:

Ahh thanks for that I really hope Dement and Kleitman comes up too!

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel like my teacher has prepared us properly either! She explained everything in such little detail that as I'm revising I'm picking up new things. Yeah, exactly its so hard to get confused between the numbers!
    Yeah for some of our studies we've only been taught about 2 findings... And I'm sure we need to know 4 for each study? :/ plus do we need to know conclusions or not??

Along with the findings, the questions about "how does the .... Approach explain...." Are the ones I find hardest :/ don't get them at all....

ReputationRep:
    Just some thoughts on this exam:

I know every subject has a lot to remember. But this one has so much that I really don't feel prepared. Although there are things that are more likely to come up. You just don't know what will actually come up. And in this subject you sort of rely on your predictions because of the mass amounts of content.

I think everyone knows the specification to some extent. But its the amount of detail required to actually pass the exam. Lets say in theory someone was to get full marks on both section B and C due to predicting what would come up and all there predictions being correct and all their answers being correct. That would only be 60 marks therefore you would need to get at least 7 marks in section A to get a C. It very unlikely that someone would get full marks in section B and C though.

The amount of detail you need to know for each study is just ridiculous. Section A is just make or break. I can easily see how someone could drop marks in Section A. Whilst its possible to know the basic things about the core studies, it is impossible for someone to know a specific part of the core study when they have to learn 7 approaches/perspectives and the specific issues and 15 aims/procedures/sample/strengths/weaknesses/background. Whilst the content side of things is not the hardest thing I think the actual exam is extremely tough.

Whilst people do have a week to do this I don't see how its possible. And I am extremely worried. I would like to get an A if not then a B. However I can see myself losing marks very easily. I also think timing is a big issue in the exam. Whilst you may have the detail required for the question timing will be a big struggle (for me anyway).

I don't mean to put anyone off their revision or anything. I'm just finding it very tough. Whilst I am revising and things are going into my head. There is so much more I don't know.

What worries me even more is if I decide to take this on next year then I cannot resit in January leaving me to resit in June along side all my other exams. I think to get an A in this your knowledge needs to be extremely detailed more so than other subject.

Whilst most other subjects are 50% of your AS this exam is 70%. I would rather it be spilt 50 50 as the amount of to learn for this it just way too much. I don't see how anyone can get an A in this exam. I am extremely worried about it.

I know this isn't helping anyone revise. But does anyone else feel the same?
    I know the feeling theres just way too much to remember for this exam but an exam like psychology investigations was okay

ReputationRep:
    Yeah for some of our studies we've only been taught about 2 findings... And I'm sure we need to know 4 for each study? :/ plus do we need to know conclusions or not??

Along with the findings, the questions about "how does the .... Approach explain...." Are the ones I find hardest :/ don't get them at all....
    Yeah, I got taught we had to have 2 findings as well. I'm not sure how many we need though, sorry. And tbh, I thought results and conclusions was the same thing!

(Original post by random1234567)
    I know the feeling theres just way too much to remember for this exam but an exam like psychology investigations was okay
    Yeah, exactly G541 was actually okay! I'd rather it be longer and G542 shorter...

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it hard too :/

ReputationRep:

for that question, you basically describe the results/conclusions. for example, cognitive can explain memory in terms of L + P's reconstructive hypothesis - that we input data from our senses, for example us seeing the car crash, and then we later receive information from others, for example the leading question, and then these two sources of information combine to form a memory that is not very accurate

i hope that helped..

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.